So is TV not dog friendly?

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2024, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
If you stay off your neighbors lawn, where is your dog going to pee! There is only a small amount of room by the post office boxes.
You don't have a lawn?
Old 02-24-2024, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Those retractable leashes are so horrible, they should be recalled and not be allowed at all. If you had a collar around your neck and had to pull AGAINST it with every single step, you'd be yapping constantly too. The leash is spring-loaded, so it is always trying to shorten, while Fido is trying to either move further away or even just maintain his distance.

Every time I see a dog on one of those leashes I feel sad for it.
You DO know that those retractable leashes have a lock on them that allows one to lock it at a specific length if one wishes? They work fine if one uses them properly.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Being a new Poster, you may not be aware of the "Ignore" options.

Sooner or later, you'll realize that there are just some folks you just don't want to hear from.

I have a long list on "ignore" and I'm sure there's a long list who have me on ignore.
I have exactly ONE person on ignore...

And that is because they physically threatened me by private message...

That said, I know there are several who have me on ignore, mainly because I call them on their BS...

-Tom Petty

Last edited by JMintzer; 02-24-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriemoms View Post
I agree with you there...I dont believe in bringing dogs to restaurants etc. Suprised they are even allowed!
There are more than a few places that allow dogs on their outside patios. Just as they do in other places around the country...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2024, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMack View Post
Yes it is dog friendly however, Publix just banned all dogs.
Except for service dogs... Which is entirely appropriate...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2024, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, it's a sore spot. I see a LOT of dog-owners around here who claim to love their fur-babies, but put them at constant risk of injury or death on a daily basis. Or stress their dogs out every time they leave the house. Or show no respect for their fellow humans by letting Fido poop on their OWN lawn, BEFORE taking them for a walk around the block. And NOT putting Fluffy in the grocery carriage at Publix - and insisting that it's their "comfort animal" and they have the "right" to bring them.

I see people putting their dogs on retractable leashes, which means the dog is -continuously- pulling against the leash with every single step. And then there's the lady who literally drags her dog, who has a limp back leg, around the town square. And I mean drags the thing. He tries to sit and she just drags him behind her.

I see people stopping to chit-chat with their friends in the middle of the summer at the town square events, when the pavement is around 140° and they just force their dogs to stand there for several minutes at a time, and then walk those pets around the streets for an hour or more, without a moment's thought to the comfort or health of their beloved pooch's paw pads.

I see people who let their happy peppy people-loving animals roam off-leash, without thinking for one second that they are putting their animal's life in danger every time someone in a golf cart comes around the corner.

I see people who should've understood what they were getting themselves into, BEFORE deciding to move to a community, instead of waiting until they've already bought the place and are heading down.

I've seen people leave their mini-poos or whatever other tiny teacup they have, tied in their carports while they're out grocery shopping, leaving the little pups as easy targets for the foxes and predatory birds that live in the neighborhood.

These people are all probably very nice, lovely people. And I'm sure they think their pets are awesome. But their behavior doesn't demonstrate love for their animal. It demonstrates selfishness, lack of consideration, lack of preparation, lack of thought for their pet.

I'm a dog lover. It's BECAUSE I love animals so much that I take issue with people who don't ask these questions until after they've already purchased their home.
Wow, you certainly see a lot...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2024, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
You shouldn't just make things up. Checking on the facts before typing, is always a good idea.

There is no requirement that a Service Dog have "four on the floor", nor does Publix or anyone else, have a right to ask you anything about your service dog, other than the words "is your dog trained to provide a specific task related to a disability". The dog could be on a 50' leash or no leash ... or sitting on its hind legs in a shopping cart.

There's not even a requirement that the dog know how to "heel".
One of the "experts" you. mentioned?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2024, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriemoms View Post
Again sorry I even asked. We spent a long time researching didn't have any previous issues but started seeing this horrible scary postings about just about anything you can think of not just dogs. What you list can be anywhere..people suck. Please again you know nothing about me and I would NEVER treat my dogs like that!
Sadly, there are more than a few like that in ToTV...

You'll soon learn to ignore their nonsense...

Most people here are very friendly... Others? Not so much...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-24-2024, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
You shouldn't just make things up. Checking on the facts before typing, is always a good idea.

There is no requirement that a Service Dog have "four on the floor", nor does Publix or anyone else, have a right to ask you anything about your service dog, other than the words "is your dog trained to provide a specific task related to a disability". The dog could be on a 50' leash or no leash ... or sitting on its hind legs in a shopping cart.

But there should be!
Old 02-24-2024, 06:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,225 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
But there should be!
I agree.

The entire Service Dog thing has turned into a joke. I have no objection to a blind or otherwise seriously impaired person, having a legitimate Service Dog that allows them to live a reasonable life. Unfortunately, ADA compliance zealots have turned Service Animals into a cottage industry.

We have hotels and not a day goes by, we don't get into some sort of controversy, regarding a so-called "Service Dog". Unfortunately, plaintiff attorneys are making a small fortune, torturing business owners and the government is making it possible.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,711 Times in 3,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
You DO know that those retractable leashes have a lock on them that allows one to lock it at a specific length if one wishes? They work fine if one uses them properly.
Most people don't lock them. If they did, it wouldn't be a problem. I can count on one hand the number of people who have retractable leashes for their dogs, who let the leash out just to the length they want it for and lock it in place for the duration of their walk.

And if you're going to do that, why not just buy a regular leash at the length you need it to be? You can do a search on your search engine of choice for "retractable leash" for the opinions of dog trainers, dog groomers, emergency room employees who've had to deal with finger amputations of people who use these leashes -

it's a big enough problem that there are pages and pages and pages of documentation from a wide variety of sources.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Most people don't lock them. If they did, it wouldn't be a problem. I can count on one hand the number of people who have retractable leashes for their dogs, who let the leash out just to the length they want it for and lock it in place for the duration of their walk.

And if you're going to do that, why not just buy a regular leash at the length you need it to be? You can do a search on your search engine of choice for "retractable leash" for the opinions of dog trainers, dog groomers, emergency room employees who've had to deal with finger amputations of people who use these leashes -

it's a big enough problem that there are pages and pages and pages of documentation from a wide variety of sources.
Have you also noted in your extensive investigations that most people also use harnesses so that these leashes do not pull on the dog’s neck? It seems the retractable leashes are more dangerous to the owners than the dogs.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Wow, you certainly see a lot...
Must be one of the ladies who drive around in their golf carts with a clipboard
Old 02-25-2024, 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,225 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

I see people putting their dogs on retractable leashes, which means the dog is -continuously- pulling against the leash with every single step.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Have you also noted in your extensive investigations that most people also use harnesses so that these leashes do not pull on the dog’s neck? It seems the retractable leashes are more dangerous to the owners than the dogs.

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

I have 3 "retractable leashes". I just tested all of them. The are essentially "free-wheeling". An empty teacup hooked to the end of the leash, is sufficient to extend them.

That's certainly not hurting a dogs neck. Straining on a non-retractable leash may be different story.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,711 Times in 3,183 Posts

Quote:
Where do you people come up with this stuff?

I have 3 "retractable leashes". I just tested all of them. The are essentially "free-wheeling". An empty teacup hooked to the end of the leash, is sufficient to extend them.

That's certainly not hurting a dogs neck. Straining on a non-retractable leash may be different story.
It's not about hurting a dog's neck. It's about "resistance." When a retractable leash is unlocked, the DEFAULT of the dog's mentality is to resist the pull. It puts the dog into a mental state that prepares them to get AWAY from you. If a dog is resisting the leash, then it isn't relaxed. If a leash is made such that it is impossible to relax and the dog MUST resist it, then the dog is not capable of being truly relaxed. It's on alert. It isn't panicking, it's not that kind of stress. But it is absolutely a mental and physical stressor, to be attached to something that is continuously attempting to pull the dog closer to the owner's hand on the other end of the leash.

Letting the leash out to a full 12 feet is dangerous, because if someone is zooming by in a golf cart and you don't react quickly enough, your pooch can easily end up getting run over, or jump on the golf cart (that happened to me, a neighbor's dog jumped on my cart while the owner was holding a fully-extended retractable leash).

As I said you can run a search on this stuff, it's not hidden or secret, it's not something that should be a shock to anyone, it's been known ever since these leashes first came out and confirmed time and time again.

It teaches the dog to pull on the leash. So when you have it locked, the dog will continue to try and pull on it because that's what you've trained it to do. That's not a healthy way for a dog to behave when you're taking a dog for a walk.
Closed Thread

Tags
thier, dogs, people, dog, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.