Sport R.I.P died today about 10:00 A.M. April 7, 2014

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Rest in peace. Our pets do not live as long as we would like them to. But, while they are with us they give us such joy. I am very sorry for your loss
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to Baileysmom

I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Sage

Oh Tal. I just got back from Flagler Beach to your sad news.
I will miss seeing Sport at the Dogpark.

The finest thing we can do for our dogs is to let them go when it's their time.
You were a good dog dad, and I know you'll adopt when you're ready.

Hugs
Bare
Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Oh Tal. I just got back from Flagler Beach to your sad news.
I will miss seeing Sport at the Dogpark.

The finest thing we can do for our dogs is to let them go when it's their time.
You were a good dog dad, and I know you'll adopt when you're ready.

Hugs
Bare
Thanks, Barefoot. I will be at Doggie Doo Run Run every once in a while before we even get a new dog looking for leads about where to find the best one. I do remember that Sport did not seem to like me much when we first got him from the Sumter County Humane Society as he had just lost his second owner as she had to give him up because of her having Parkinson's Disease. She could no longer bathe or walk him was my understanding. She had been his first rescue family after he was neglected by his original owners from the first part of his life. He did bond with me over a few weeks and became a shadow. I am always still looking for my shadow expected it to still be there.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-08-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

I am sorry for your loss, and I have felt the painful loss myself a few times. I like your choice of "shadow." Having seen you and him many times at the Dogpark, it is a perfect description of Sport. You, of course, should have comfort in knowing that you did that most painful but most loving act for your little guy.

Another one of God's little creatures needs you and I know you'll find the right one.

John
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Platinum member
Default poor Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Sport did really fight taking the pills. He was also not much of an eater. He would often just eat lunch meat slices because he knew I could not hide a pill in it. Everything else he became more and more careful about consuming-- hot dogs, bratwurst, liverwurst, dog food, treats, pill pockets, melted cheese, etc.

The pill gun worked but he really hated it and it would almost always take two of us to get the medicine into him and even then he would have tricks about spitting it out.
well, I guess it's somewhat fortunate that my dog also has Cushing's disease which increases appetite. I don't have to fight her. But I had dogs in the past who were master's at spitting out tablets so I know what an ordeal it must have been.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
So sorry about Midnight. I am going through the same thing with my feelings about Sport but I have already put in an inquiry about a rescue dog!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tal, I know how much you must miss Sport, but I'm glad you're inquiring about rescue dogs. Sport will always have a special place in your heart. And I think he would be happy to know that are thinking about providing a home for another rescue dog.

In the past, when I lost a much-loved dog, I always felt guilty if I didn't allow a "mourning period" before I thought about getting another dog.

In 2010, Brutus got a brain tumor and had to be euthanized. Right away, I was offered a rescue Portuguese Water Dog. She had four homes previous to us getting her. I wasn't at all sure that it was the right thing to do.

But we adopted the PWD. I really feel Brutus was nodding approval from The Rainbow Bridge. Now four years have passed, and every day, Lollipop lights up our life. And nothing can ever change the special love I have for Brutus.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Gold member

So very sorry for your loss. It is never easy. Just remembered all the fun times you got to share with Sport. I'm sure Sport had a very good life and loving parents.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
So very sorry for your loss. It is never easy. Just remembered all the fun times you got to share with Sport. I'm sure Sport had a very good life and loving parents.
Yes, he did. I doubt if we could have squeezed one more good day out of him because of the heart failures coming only about 14 hours apart. And these were not from any kind of activity other than just walking outside and peeing. I do miss him terribly but it will get better.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default A Rescue Dog

[QUOTE=Barefoot;858957]Quote:

So sorry about Midnight. I am going through the same thing with my feelings about Sport but I have already put in an inquiry about a rescue dog!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taltarzac:
Again, I am so sorry for your loss and pain and I pray you are holding up during this trying time. There are several Chi/Terriers at Poodle and Pooch Rescue at this time:Poodle and Pooch Rescue of Florida - Orlando | Tampa | Ocala - Home

They also just picked up 8 more dogs from Central Florida kill shelters that need immediate foster if you are up for that. All are vet checked, teeth cleaned, meds/HW pills, etc are provided...you provide the love and a safe home. If you find a dog that you just can't let go of, of course you are welcome to adopt it forever.

Many of the dogs have lost their owners due to death or illness, while others were given up "just because".

My wish is that you find another shadow like Sport to bring you happiness. I am currently fostering a blind Westie, but looks like she is headed to a home next week, so there will be another rescued foster dog in my future soon.

Thank you for thinking rescue!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

I am so sorry to hear of Sport's passing. He sounds like a very special little guy. I am sorry I never got to meet him, but I know he will live forever in your heart. Sending hugs.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 PM
Sage

[quote=Susan G;860591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taltarzac:
Again, I am so sorry for your loss and pain and I pray you are holding up during this trying time. There are several Chi/Terriers at Poodle and Pooch Rescue at this time:Poodle and Pooch Rescue of Florida - Orlando | Tampa | Ocala - Home

They also just picked up 8 more dogs from Central Florida kill shelters that need immediate foster if you are up for that. All are vet checked, teeth cleaned, meds/HW pills, etc are provided...you provide the love and a safe home. If you find a dog that you just can't let go of, of course you are welcome to adopt it forever.

Many of the dogs have lost their owners due to death or illness, while others were given up "just because".

My wish is that you find another shadow like Sport to bring you happiness. I am currently fostering a blind Westie, but looks like she is headed to a home next week, so there will be another rescued foster dog in my future soon.

Thank you for thinking rescue!
Thanks, Susan G. We may check some of these out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.