Three Dogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage

I believe having three dogs is an "inside the house" issue and not enforceable by community standards. I believe it would be up to the Developer to enforce this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
My husband and I are very impressed with the Villages and would like to become Villagers. The problem is that we have three dogs. One of the sales agents told us that you are allowed to move in with three as long as you downsize to two when one crosses the rainbow bridge. One of our dogs is near the end of his journey and won’t be with us much longer.

I would hate to buy a house, move in, then have to sell and move out because we were reported for not being in compliance with deed restrictions.

What are your experiences with this situation?

Maybe someone would like to “adopt” one of them with the understanding that we will dog sit them continuously and pay for all food, vet bills, and any other expenses? (“Adopt” in name only.😉)

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I believe having three dogs is an "inside the house" issue and not enforceable by community standards. I believe it would be up to the Developer to enforce this.
That is an excellent idea! Thank you, we can certainly look into that with a lawyer, to see how that would work.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Sadly, that was snarky even if you didn't mean it to be.

We are NOT trying to move some place that has restrictions we don't like. We were told it was OKAY to move in with three and then when one died we could not replace it. That we are fine with.

We have been told this has happened thousands of times here in the Villages. If that is the FACT (which we are trying to determine) then we would be fine with agreeing to limit any future pets to two.

We also KNOW that deed restrictions are enforced on a complaint basis. So, assuming there was a complaint, then we would want to know what our recourse would be if any.

We are here asking questions so we can understand how this situation has been resolved in the past.

Also, if it turns out that the verbal contract between us and the employee of The Villages has no weight, then maybe we would not want to trust anything else The Villages told us. Or if it is common practice to grant a variance on this particular restriction, that would be good information.

So, asking questions of the people that live here and have lived through this seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable approach as opposed to just throwing our hands of and leaving.
The sales people will tell you what it takes to make a sale. Can you get the 3 dog allowance in writing from them? Then at least you have recourse.

In my deed even the maximum size of the 2 dogs is indicated. The deed restrictions are written in stone! Very hard to get an exemption, I’d make sure to get the variance first in writing.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Good luck, I’d love to see that woofie in real life that’s on your Avatar.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Sage

I recall an article in the Daily Sun a year or so ago about a couple who had three Great Danes. I can only assume this wasn't a problem for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
That is an excellent idea! Thank you, we can certainly look into that with a lawyer, to see how that would work.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Call Candy at the Community Standards office in LSL. She is the one person who can give you the correct answer. She's the Boss.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Call Candy at the Community Standards office in LSL. She is the one person who can give you the correct answer. She's the Boss.
Thank you
Old 08-05-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
The deed restrictions also state dogs shouldn’t be over 40 pounds.
Different districts have different deed restrictions. The Taylor Villas district does not restrict weight.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

To be perfectly fair since one of our dogs is a Shih Zhu we only really have 2.15 dogs.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We moved here with 3 dogs with the understanding when 1 crossed the bridge we had to stay at 2. Never had a problem. WE do not allow then on anyone's lawn and walk the down the street 4 times per day. I have never heard complains about too many dogs. People complain about dogs using their lawn to potty or excessive barking. What made it easy for us was they were the same breed and walked them 2 at a time.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We moved here with 3 dogs with the understanding when 1 crossed the bridge we had to stay at 2. Never had a problem. WE do not allow then on anyone's lawn and walk the down the street 4 times per day. I have never heard complains about too many dogs. People complain about dogs using their lawn to potty or excessive barking. What made it easy for us was they were the same breed and walked them 2 at a time.
Thank you
Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Just get them service vest and ignore any rules like everyone else
Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Read and heed the deed restrictions. You legally agree to comply when you purchase and they are totally enforceable. If you choose to ignore them, don’t complain about the consequences. It is that simple.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default 99% right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonenright View Post
You misunderstand. My situation is not that I want to live in the Villages and own three dogs. The situation is that
I want to move to the Villages and will own three dogs until one crosses the rainbow bridge. At that point, and going forward, I will own two dogs. The sales agent told me that many people do this and that it is unofficially tolerated. Before I take the step of buying a house and moving, I need to be confident that I will not have to immediately sell and move out.
Your sales Agent is right. At least right 99% of the time it would be no problem. If I had 3 dogs and was moving into TV - I like those odds...
Old 08-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Read and heed the deed restrictions. You legally agree to comply when you purchase and they are totally enforceable. If you choose to ignore them, don’t complain about the consequences. It is that simple.
I assume you read the restrictions. If so, you will recall that The Developer can change or add rules at their discretion. That would include variances, which people get all the time.

We are NOT looking to ignore the rules, we are trying to find out what the rules are and if there is anyway we can comply with the rules.

Thank you for your comment.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, move, “adopt”, only.😉, situation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.