TooJay’s

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2022, 09:40 AM
Default TooJay’s

Don’t get me wrong I love dogs have two myself, just because you have a leash that says “service dog” doesn’t make it a service dog. If it was a SD the owner would not have to apologize for it coming over to me and sniffing my leg. A true SD would sit or stand at it’s owners side. No place in a restaurant.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
Don’t get me wrong I love dogs have two myself, just because you have a leash that says “service dog” doesn’t make it a service dog. If it was a SD the owner would not have to apologize for it coming over to me and sniffing my leg. A true SD would sit or stand at it’s owners side. No place in a restaurant.
Good thing all Rover did was sniff.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:07 PM

Two Friday's ago, my family visited Piezannos at Lake Deaton and out comes a patron with his wee dog on a leash. No Service Dog indicator, just a privileged senior on one end and a spoiled dog on the other.

Everyone in my party made the same set of comments "hope it didn't do its business in my booth" or "I hope it didn't pee on the chairs", etc.

We tend to comment about the lack of mental strength and health of our younger generations. I say, guess where they go it.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Good thing all Rover did was sniff.
With that remark, I'm willing to bet, you're a DOG owner.
Your Rover don't belong where the public eats, period!
Old 08-22-2022, 06:41 PM
Platinum member

This situation is now out of control. Saw a couple outside of Darells and they had three small dogs with them and sitting on blanket. None of the dogs had markings showing that they were a service dog.

Brother's son had a real service dog and it was trained for 18 months and had to have certain criteria such as longevity temprament, etc These dogs are now emotional "support" dogs.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
This situation is now out of control. Saw a couple outside of Darells and they had three small dogs with them and sitting on blanket. None of the dogs had markings showing that they were a service dog.

Brother's son had a real service dog and it was trained for 18 months and had to have certain criteria such as longevity temprament, etc These dogs are now emotional "support" dogs.
That is legal according to the Federal ADA law. No documentation or proof is required for a service dog. No Florida law can supercede it.

But, I propose that Florida enact a law that, anyone dining in a restaurant when a dog enters, can notify the manager and leave immediately without owing any money to the restaurant. I think that would help to alleviate the problem.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
Two Friday's ago, my family visited Piezannos at Lake Deaton and out comes a patron with his wee dog on a leash. No Service Dog indicator, just a privileged senior on one end and a spoiled dog on the other.

Everyone in my party made the same set of comments "hope it didn't do its business in my booth" or "I hope it didn't pee on the chairs", etc.

We tend to comment about the lack of mental strength and health of our younger generations. I say, guess where they go it.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That is legal according to the Federal ADA law. No documentation or proof is required for a service dog. No Florida law can supercede it.

But, I propose that Florida enact a law that, anyone dining in a restaurant when a dog enters, can notify the manager and leave immediately without owing any money to the restaurant. I think that would help to alleviate the problem.
Correct...

"You may not require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal. You may not require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag. You may not ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work."

-Tom Petty
Old 08-22-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Correct...

"You may not require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal. You may not require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag. You may not ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work."

Yes, not surprising, today.

You can be anything you want to be by just identifying as such.

You could probably identify as a service dog and be allowed to sit at the feet of furry lover at a sushi bar.

I identify as a restaurant patron who prefers no animals around the preparation or consumption of food.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
While I agree the fake service dog thing is out of control, the outside seating at Darrell’s is pet friendly and non service dogs are actually encouraged by the establishment. Their slogan is Darrell’s Dog Gone Good Diner, with a picture of what appears to be a yellow lab.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:34 PM
Gold member

It is very much out of control. If you claim it is a service dog when in fact it is not you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:03 AM

Outdoor setting is for patrons with well behaved pets.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 08-23-2022, 05:07 AM

But it’s ok for people to bring their rug rats kicking and screaming to restaurants!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 08-23-2022, 05:36 AM
Default SD or ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
I do not live in the Villages but my two dogs are ESA. Both have red harness staying Emotional Support. Both have been certified as such and both have ESA cards I carry with me. But, there are people out there claiming such and the animal is not registered . They allow the dog to do whatever like a spoiled two year old. Service Animals are a necessity plain and simple. I do not take my ESA to a restaurant because I do not need Emotional Sport to eat. I have seen older females hanging on to their ESA dog for dear life or pushing the little darling throughout the eatery in a doggy stroller. No need for that.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:04 AM
Default Esa

It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

Florida’s ESA rules make clear that in order to have a valid emotional support animal, the tenant must possess documentation from a licensed health care practitioner.

All prospective ESA owners should understand that a mere certificate, ID or registration bought online will not be enough to properly qualify their animal companion as an ESA.

This lady claimed it was a Service Dog, not a ESA.

Chapter 413, para 413.8

b) Documentation that the service animal is trained is not a precondition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. A public accommodation may not ask about the nature or extent of an individual’s disability. To determine the difference between a service animal and a pet, a public accommodation may ask if an animal is a service animal required because of a disability and what work or tasks the animal has been trained to perform.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:06 AM

I was in Publix on 466A last week and a lady on one of the store’s electric carts came down the frozen foods aisle with TWO (2) “service” dogs. Some folks just have to abuse things!
Closed Thread

Tags
side, sniffing, apologize, coming, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.