TooJay’s

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2022, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

I am a lot more concerned with people who park in handicap spots and are not handicapped. Lots of people keep handicap placards Way beyond when they really need them also and think it just gets them a better spot but for someone that has a true handicap it makes it a lot harder
Old 08-23-2022, 06:33 AM
Location: Wyoming born, Texan by choice, Motorcoach wander and now Glenbrook village

There is no such thing as a certified ESA dog. An ESA dog can legally ONLY go where any pet dog can go in public. They get ZERO special privileges except for being allowed to reside in a rental dwelling without a pet deposit /allowed where in a rental where pets are not allowed or allowed in hotels. That's it and sadly this has turned into a massive scam as well that sadly many "doctors" have jumped on the bandwagon with for their scheming patients to get out of paying deposits or getting their pets allowed. Hopefully that will go away soon just like ESA dogs are not allowed on planes any more.

And I'm a huge dog lover, have a retired SAR k9 (search and rescue) . I'm just sick of all the fakes out there taking advantage of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaF View Post
I do not live in the Villages but my two dogs are ESA. Both have red harness staying Emotional Support. Both have been certified as such and both have ESA cards I carry with me. But, there are people out there claiming such and the animal is not registered . They allow the dog to do whatever like a spoiled two year old. Service Animals are a necessity plain and simple. I do not take my ESA to a restaurant because I do not need Emotional Sport to eat. I have seen older females hanging on to their ESA dog for dear life or pushing the little darling throughout the eatery in a doggy stroller. No need for that.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
This situation is now out of control. Saw a couple outside of Darells and they had three small dogs with them and sitting on blanket. None of the dogs had markings showing that they were a service dog.

Brother's son had a real service dog and it was trained for 18 months and had to have certain criteria such as longevity temprament, etc These dogs are now emotional "support" dogs.
Darells allows dogs to be outside. The people did nothing wrong.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post
Yes, not surprising, today.

You can be anything you want to be by just identifying as such.

You could probably identify as a service dog and be allowed to sit at the feet of furry lover at a sushi bar.

I identify as a restaurant patron who prefers no animals around the preparation or consumption of food.
The owners identify the dog as a child that can eat their leftovers and lick the plate clean.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That is legal according to the Federal ADA law. No documentation or proof is required for a service dog. No Florida law can supercede it.
That is not even close to a true statement. ADA does not cover animals.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:00 AM

Darrell’s allows dogs there, unfortunately
Old 08-23-2022, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
That is not even close to a true statement. ADA does not cover animals.
Huh?

"Under Florida law and the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), people with disabilities may bring their service animals to all "public accommodations," such as restaurants, museums, hotels, and stores. These laws also require those who operate transportation services to allow service animals."
Old 08-23-2022, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Dogs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
This situation is now out of control. Saw a couple outside of Darells and they had three small dogs with them and sitting on blanket. None of the dogs had markings showing that they were a service dog.

Brother's son had a real service dog and it was trained for 18 months and had to have certain criteria such as longevity temprament, etc These dogs are now emotional "support" dogs.
I fully understand a service dog that is identifiable and needed, like a blind person, a physicaly handicapped person, but an ESA dog, bird, snake, what a crock. Seems we are becoming a weak emotionally disfunctional society. Believing in dragging all sorts of animals around to inappropriate places imposing on others. Thinking it's ok to state what gender we identify as when nature has clearly made that decision already. Etc etc. We have become a weak society. I could go on but to what end. This country is too far down the road to ruin to stop it now. So glad I am not a youthful person, I'm hoping I won't be here to see the end.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Correct...

"You may not require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal. You may not require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag. You may not ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work."
Was that law passed to get votes from people who think their “fur babies” cross a “Rainbow Bridge” instead of being euthanized and dying? It doesn’t seem very sensible. If people are so emotionally fragile that they require an “Emotional Support Animal” to keep from melting down, they shouldn’t go to places where dogs haven’t generally been allowed. (I don’t include guide dogs.) What passes these days as a need for “emotional support” generally means some people around here like to take their dogs everywhere. l like dogs a lot, especially smaller ones, and I don’t mind their going around with owners if the dogs are well-trained, but staying at home instead of going to the restaurant for humans won’t kill them.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:22 AM

The biggest reason to not bring your dog to a restaurant is so that those who are dining there who are very allergic to dander would like to be able to comfortably breathe while doing so.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:27 AM

If I wanted to eat with a did, I go to the kennel. Restaurants are for people!
Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4vt View Post
Outdoor setting is for patrons with well behaved pets.
If you mean outdoor seating that is not allowed according to Florida law. Local governments can issue permits if certain rules are followed.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:42 AM
Default Calm down

Dogs do not walk around carry disease just by being present! If you are so concerned about a dog sitting on the ground at the next table, Please never let your mind think about the kitchen in which your food was prepared or the folks preparing your food. Many more sanitation issues with those!! Even at the best of restaurants!!
Old 08-23-2022, 07:42 AM

We build biographies of strangers in our minds based on very little information. I’m as guilty as anyone. But today I’m going to attempt to be a little kinder and less judgmental. Anybody with me?
Old 08-23-2022, 07:45 AM

How do you know that. Why be so judgemental without knowing the story!
Closed Thread

Tags
side, sniffing, apologize, coming, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.