TooJay’s

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2022, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
I am a lot more concerned with people who park in handicap spots and are not handicapped. Lots of people keep handicap placards Way beyond when they really need them also and think it just gets them a better spot but for someone that has a true handicap it makes it a lot harder
I have rejected a handicap parking placard several times. I am short of 60 and would like to think I can get around on my own. Just because the doctors want me to get one does not mean I need it. There are many for whom that spot is a necessity.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
The owners identify the dog as a child that can eat their leftovers and lick the plate clean.
Are you a child? Only a child can identify what a child is. Stay in your lane.

(As I reread the above post, as ludicrous as it is I believe there will be some, perhaps many, who believe it and frighteningly so agree with it. It was written in jest)
Old 08-23-2022, 08:09 AM

Thank you for mentioning people that are allergic to animal dander. Many years ago I made an airline reservation months in advance. This is when the airlines first started allowing animals on flights. A women got on the plane and sat next to me. She had a cute small dog. After a short time, I started to notice that I was getting a tightness in my chest and started to wheeze. I excused myself and went to the stewardess and told her that I had a problem. The only solution was for one of us to move all the way to the back of the plane. Guess who had to move? I was the one with the problem, so I had to go to the rear of the plane. I called the airline when I returned and asked if there is any way I could know in advance if there would be an animal on a flight I was going to be on. I was told that they don't know in advance if someone is bringing an animal. The only solution would be to ask to be moved further away from the animal or wait to get on the next flight and there would be no guarantee if there would be an animal on that flight. I guess her dog had more of right to be on that flight than I did.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Correct...

"You may not require proof that the animal has been certified, trained or licensed as a service animal. You may not require the animal to wear an identifying vest or tag. You may not ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the task or work."
You may, however, ask the function for which the dog has been trained.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 08-23-2022, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

I am a dog person, I love them, hell I like them more than people. That said, I think the ADA should certify service dogs, and the owner should be required to produce proof of certification if they want to bring their service dog into restaurants and food stores. I didn't actually feel this way until recently. A member of a group I'm in, has a dog who wears a service vest. He brings the dog everywhere. The dog goes up to people to be petted, the dog barks at people it decides it should bark at. The owner doesn't even discipline the dog when she barks at people, which happened in a restaurant last week. If there was some sort of certification, not where they owner has to reveal their reason for needing a service dog, but to prove the dog was legit..... things like this would be eliminated.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:48 AM

People don't realize that there are those with severe allergies to dogs that if they are to touch something that a dog has been against and then touch their own face they will have a severe reaction. Dogs do not belong in restaurants or grocery stores where it can possibly be harmful to others.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
Don’t get me wrong I love dogs have two myself, just because you have a leash that says “service dog” doesn’t make it a service dog. If it was a SD the owner would not have to apologize for it coming over to me and sniffing my leg. A true SD would sit or stand at it’s owners side. No place in a restaurant.
What rules, regulations, decorum and/or laws apply in public places for ESH’s…emotional support humans?
Old 08-23-2022, 09:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorhutch View Post
What rules, regulations, decorum and/or laws apply in public places for ESH’s…emotional support humans?
Emotional support dog owners have only limited legal rights that typically require a letter of diagnosis from the owner’s doctor or psychiatrist. Although they don’t have unlimited access to public spaces, the Fair Housing Act mandates “reasonable accommodations” for emotional support animals, even in buildings that don’t allow pets. As of January 2021, airlines are no longer required to accommodate emotional support animals.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
snipped The dog goes up to people to be petted, the dog barks at people it decides it should bark at. The owner doesn't even discipline the dog when she barks at people, which happened in a restaurant last week. If there was some sort of certification, not where they owner has to reveal their reason for needing a service dog, but to prove the dog was legit..... things like this would be eliminated.
The fact that "The dog goes up to people to be petted, the dog barks at people it decides it should bark at." is all the info you need to know that the dog is not a certified service animal!

Old 08-23-2022, 10:57 AM
Default Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Good thing all Rover did was sniff.
🤣. Now that’s funny!
Old 08-23-2022, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaws View Post
Darrell’s allows dogs there, unfortunately
Or fortunately, depending on one’s perspective.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
The fact that "The dog goes up to people to be petted, the dog barks at people it decides it should bark at." is all the info you need to know that the dog is not a certified service animal!
Exactly, that's how I knew it's not a real service dog.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4vt View Post
But it’s ok for people to bring their rug rats kicking and screaming to restaurants!
You’re equating human beings with animals. And therein lies the problem.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
Don’t get me wrong I love dogs have two myself, just because you have a leash that says “service dog” doesn’t make it a service dog. If it was a SD the owner would not have to apologize for it coming over to me and sniffing my leg. A true SD would sit or stand at it’s owners side. No place in a restaurant.
About 10 or so years ago, my wife, daughter and I were at Bob Evens on 466. My daughter was a student in the University of Florida school of Veterinary Medicine. We had ordered our food when a woman came in and sat down with 7 other women. She had a small dog that she put under the table. My daughter went over to explain to her that Florida law states that animals are not allowed in restaurants unless they were a service dog. She got very belligerent an told my daughter it was a SD and it would tell her when she would get an attack. My daughter said she didn't need the dog since she had 7 other women there to take care of her if something should happen. She didn't leave but had the waitress move them to another table. The waitress was probably instructed to not say anything to her but to move her away. My daughter is now a veterinarian and has 6 dogs of her own (she will not put a healthy dog down but will find a good home for it or take it herself). People are privileged, but if you did the same thing they would castigate you for it.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Not worth it///

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
side, sniffing, apologize, coming, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.