Travel to Ireland with dog

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2023, 06:28 PM
Default Travel to Ireland with dog

Has anyone traveled to ireland with their pet. I’d like to take my dog with me but reading all the entry requirements sounds challenging. I’d like to speak to someone who has done this. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

If you don't get an answer from someone who has done it, try looking at these google search results:: take my dogg from Florida to Ireland - Google Search

You don't say what size your pet is. It makes a difference, because some airplanes will not fly pets in their pressurized cargo hold. For instance, Lufthansa just changed to a code share from Orlando to Frankfurt, and the code share wouldn't fly pets in cargo, so we had to drive to Miami to pick up a Lufthansa airplane. Also, even if the pet is small enough to fly in cabin, some airlines going internationally will not allow that.

Also, there are strict requirements as to the dimensions and structure of the crates, even for the inside-the-cabin carrier. So check all those things out (may have to call the airline to see if they fly pets inside the cabin) You need an IATA-approved crate (can get online from amazon).

Also, if pet is flying in cargo, try to find a nonstop flight so there will be no flight changes.

You need an international microchip (has 15 numbers--vet will have, or if your pet is young enough, it probably already has a microship that is internationally correct) and a USDA certificate (vet will know and assist), rabies shot requirement and a health exam within a certain period of flying. The airlines have their own health exam requirement.

I'm not able to answer your specific question about Ireland, as it is not part of the Schengen agreement that 26 European countries have agreed to. That negates any quarantine requirements. But I don't see a quarantine requirement for Ireland.

Best bet if the google sites I gave you scare you off is to call your vet. If your vet doesn't know, mine should--Candice Manganaro at Park Heights Animal Care. She has gone through all the certification requirements for us to fly our dog to France, but also has done it for dogs going to the Philippines and another country the name of which escapes me. Maybe Croatia. But the point is she has a lot of experience at this.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to find your answers. We've been doing this since 2009. It sounds daunting, but it's not that hard, although we spend half the year in Europe. I don't know that I would go through all that for a couple weeks or a month.

Last edited by CFrance; 06-13-2023 at 04:23 AM. Reason: One more thing to add
Closed Thread

Tags
ireland, dog, i’d, travel, sounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.