What to do if you are attacked by a dog

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Thanks for posting that. There was a very nervous dog at Doggie Doo Run Run that I had been quite worried about as it would often start barking at me at waist level whenever I tried to approach a pair of women one of whom was/is a friend of mine. A pit bull mix. He eventually calmed down and was good with me but started to get too aggressive in its play mode with dogs not part of its pack so to speak. My friend also has a pit bull mix. Sweet dog for the most part but also got more aggressive in play and my friend might have been having some personal problems which often upset the dog too. Both dogs were banned from the dog park unfortunately.

I had worried about what to do with aggressive dogs which now and them still appear at Doggie Doo Run Run. They are great owners-- Scott and Laura-- there but once in a while a new dog might not show its true colors until something sets it off.

On a funny note my dog a chihuahua/terrier mix-- Beau-- chased a boxer named Bruster and Bruster ran to me for protection and knocked me right on my can taking the breath right out of me. Had bruises for weeks but had the fortune to fall into dirt. Bruster is gone but these kind of falls from a dog running into a person are usually the cause of injuries to people at dog parks in the Villages or near them. And a heavy dog running into a 65-85 year old body often creates injuries.
I once had a 4 lb peek-a-poo that chased a horse.

But as far as getting knocked down, a dog attack ended my career. In 20809, I was walking my dog when a boxer came running out from behind me and to the left. It was in a low crouched position and growling as it charged at my dog. It scared me and I screamed like a little girl and jumped. My dog turned and barked and the boxer ran away. But the damage was done. It all happened so fast that I can't be sure exactly how it happened, but I assume that when I jumped I slammed my left foot down on a rock because I had shattered my calcaneus (heel bone).

Now a broken bone doesn't sound like much, but this particular bone connects to three of your toes and one of your shin bones to form your ankle. The makeup of the bone is that when it breaks it shatters into several pieces. It needed surgery and it took seven screws to hold it together.

I was in the golf business and played in tournaments. I asked about playing golf and the surgeon told me that the goal usually was to get me to be able to walk normally and that I'd always have trouble walking on uneven surfaces. Playing golf again was "highly unlikely".

I recall when I got this news, I almost passed out. She brought me water and had me lie down.

After the surgery, I went through physical therapy and worked my tail off with the objective being to be able to play and teach again. After I was cleared, I tried hitting balls and almost fell down. I was also in a tremendous amount of pain. I had a job that required me to be on the lesson tee for four hours at a time and I found that I was in excruciating pain if I was on my feet for more than an hour or so. I rearranged my schedule so that I took breaks and cut down the amount of time I taught. Even after this, the day after working, I was in terrible pain and had to sit with my foot elevated and an ice pack on it for hours. I was also given powerful pain relievers which I was reluctant to take, but would occasionally.

After a while, my wife, at that time convinced me that I couldn't work anymore and that playing golf was out of the question. She talked me into applying for SSDI and I was approved.

At this time I was treated for depression.

This story is getting too long but the short version is that my best friend, my wife, my brother-in-law and my dog all died within a short time after this happening.

I lived overseas for a while and decided to come back to the U.S. and moved to The Villages.

After I was here for about four years, I thought that I might be able to play nine holes on the executive courses and I've been doing OK. I even play 18 once in a while, but I'm usually in a lot of pain by about the 14th hole.

Anyway, all this because of a dog that tried to attack. So be careful. In my case, it happened so fast that I didn't have time to think or react properly.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

But as far as getting knocked down, a dog attack ended my career. In 20809, I was walking my dog when a boxer came running out from behind me and to the left. It was in a low crouched position and growling as it charged at my dog. It scared me and I screamed like a little girl and jumped. My dog turned and barked and the boxer ran away. But the damage was done. It all happened so fast that I can't be sure exactly how it happened, but I assume that when I jumped I slammed my left foot down on a rock because I had shattered my calcaneus (heel bone).

Now a broken bone doesn't sound like much, but this particular bone connects to three of your toes and one of your shin bones to form your ankle. The makeup of the bone is that when it breaks it shatters into several pieces. It needed surgery and it took seven screws to hold it together.

I was in the golf business and played in tournaments. I asked about playing golf and the surgeon told me that the goal usually was to get me to be able to walk normally and that I'd always have trouble walking on uneven surfaces. Playing golf again was "highly unlikely".

I recall when I got this news, I almost passed out. She brought me water and had me lie down.

After the surgery, I went through physical therapy and worked my tail off with the objective being to be able to play and teach again. After I was cleared, I tried hitting balls and almost fell down. I was also in a tremendous amount of pain. I had a job that required me to be on the lesson tee for four hours at a time and I found that I was in excruciating pain if I was on my feet for more than an hour or so. I rearranged my schedule so that I took breaks and cut down the amount of time I taught. Even after this, the day after working, I was in terrible pain and had to sit with my foot elevated and an ice pack on it for hours. I was also given powerful pain relievers which I was reluctant to take, but would occasionally.

After a while, my wife, at that time convinced me that I couldn't work anymore and that playing golf was out of the question. She talked me into applying for SSDI and I was approved.

This story is getting too long but the short version is that my best friend, my wife, my brother-in-law and my dog all died within a short time after this happening.

I lived overseas for a while and decided to come back to the U.S. and moved to The Villages.

After I was here for about four years, I thought that I might be able to play nine holes on the executive courses and I've been doing OK. I even play 18 once in a while, but I'm usually in a lot of pain by about the 14th hole.

Anyway, all this because of a dog that tried to attack. So be careful. In my case, it happened so fast that I didn't have time to think or react properly.
Some of the falls at Doggie Doo Run Run have been from dogs coming from behind the person. Two of these happened within twenty minutes of one another in about the same spot too. They called the ambulance for one of these and an employee helped out with transportation for the other.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation Wow

Quote:

Wow. That is a gripping account.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Carl
Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
You would have better results if you stick the muzzle against it.
The bullet comes out the end of the barrel, doesn't it? Thought so. Thank you, though, for your concern and input.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Wow. That is a gripping account.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Carl
Yes, thank you!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-26-2017, 11:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I've been attacked by dogs twice. Both times because I was with my own dogs. A hint from experience: grab the attacking dog by the hind legs, and twirl around in a circle. The attacking dog will not be able to bite you or another dog due to the centrifugal force.

I recommend a club when walking with your dogs.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

When dogs attack | Cesar's Way

We talk a lot about Cesar Millan at Doggie Doo Run Run so I wanted to see what he recommended. Cesar's Way | Official Site Of Dog Behaviorist Cesar Millan
Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Smith and wesson currently has a 50$ rebate on its tiny 380 bodyguard, $75 on 9mm, etc.

Rebate ends June 30th, know a lot of villagers that are packing and many are taking advantage of this rebate.

There is a class, range test and a long vetting process to get concealed carry. Worth it.

Lots with criminal records and mental issues will get rejected.
Before you go out and buy a Bodyguard or any .380, be aware that .380 ammunition costs about 50% more than 9mm. The S&W 9mm Shield is not much bigger than the Bodyguard, costs a fraction more and is easily concealed. The cost of ammo for a few range sessions will more than make up for the difference in price.

Also, the 9mm packs a bit more punch. If you ever actually have to defend yourself, a .380 may not take down a large bad guy.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Before you go out and buy a Bodyguard or any .380, be aware that .380 ammunition costs about 50% more than 9mm. The S&W 9mm Shield is not much bigger than the Bodyguard, costs a fraction more and is easily concealed. The cost of ammo for a few range sessions will more than make up for the difference in price.

Also, the 9mm packs a bit more punch. If you ever actually have to defend yourself, a .380 may not take down a large bad guy.
Excellent advice.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
I've been attacked by dogs twice. Both times because I was with my own dogs. A hint from experience: grab the attacking dog by the hind legs, and twirl around in a circle. The attacking dog will not be able to bite you or another dog due to the centrifugal force.

My knees would rather have me mauled by the dog.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
My knees would rather have me mauled by the dog.
A lot of the dogs at Doggie Doo Run Run would be too big to pick up for most 65+ year olds.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:

But how do you know when to let it go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
But how do you know when to let it go?

And hope it's not heavier than you are.

Although I did see someone do this in a dog park in Bradenton. But it was the dog's owner. But he didn't twirl the dog; he pulled it back and it let go of the other dog.

I stupidly caused a dog fight once (long story) that I then got in the middle of, trying to undo the stupid thing I did. I had a bruise on my hip for a couple of weeks.

Tip: don't ever hold one ball out to two ball-centric dogs.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
And hope it's not heavier than you are.

Although I did see someone do this in a dog park in Bradenton. But it was the dog's owner. But he didn't twirl the dog; he pulled it back and it let go of the other dog.

I stupidly caused a dog fight once (long story) that I then got in the middle of, trying to undo the stupid thing I did. I had a bruise on my hip for a couple of weeks.

Tip: don't ever hold one ball out to two ball-centric dogs.

I don't even want to know that to which your tip refers!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:

In my case, it happened so fast that I didn't have time to react. My dog snapped at the attacking dog and he retreated. I didn't even know that I broke my heel until several minutes later.

Closed Thread

Tags
dog, bulls, attacks, pit, navy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.