Will be moving soon and need dog advice

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Default Will be moving soon and need dog advice

Our home in NJ is up for sale and have decided to move to the Villages even though I still will be working full time for a few more years. We have two Yorkies and am trying to find out which type of home is the best for people with pets so that we can let them out in an enclosed (fenced) area to do their business when it rains or late at night.

I have been told that the Villas are the best but we cannot see from the floor plans where there is room to let a dog run around in grass. Someone else told me the single homes can be fenced in but once again I have not seen any listings that show that.

Right now we have put in a pretty 3 foot high picket fence around a small portion of our property so that our babies can lay outside in the sun and use it as their bathroom when necessary.

Any help will be appreciated as I am sure that there are alternatives like dog walks, etc.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

No Fences!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Default courtvard villas

The courtyard villa is the only home with a fenced backyard. We have a Lhasa Apso and when we were in Maryland we had a fenced yard. We originaly wanted a Villa but found the courtyard villas seemed small for our lifestyle. We opted for a Designer, Begonia, and the pooch gets walked 3 or 4 times a day. Get up walk the dog, golf, walk the dog, pickleball, walk the dog, pool, walk.............. You get the picture. We also saw that the Villas were empty for a lot of the year. I think there are a lot of "Snowbirds" and people who are not yet retired in the Villas. We have some friends who were Snowbirds in a villa and when they retired the moved to a Designer. Good Luck in your decision.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default He's right

Bogie Shooter is right no fences allowed except Courtyard Villas do come with an already fenced in backyard. To see these you can go to The Villages web sight, hit the tab Homes...then scroll to Search Homes and Villas then hit Quality Preowned Homes...then select Villas and several villas type homes will come up...click on one and often it will have a picture of the backyard....hope that is helpful...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Gold member

It's not exactly true that the Courtyard Villa is the only home in TV with a fenced in yard. It's true that it is the only style of home you can buy new today with a fenced in yard, but there are some ranch homes in Hemingway that were sold with vinyl privacy fences in the backyard. I don't know how many there are, but I do know they exist, as went through a couple of them with a realtor. You might find one for sale on the pre-owned market. Otherwise, the Courtyard Villa is your only option.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Gold member

If you are mostly concerned about rainy days or at night then you might also consider having an area in the corner of the lanai set aside for them. You can get artificial turf that is designed for pets and create a little private area for them. It does require some maint on your part such as watering to keep it clean.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

I have been told that the Villas are the best but we cannot see from the floor plans where there is room to let a dog run around in grass. Someone else told me the single homes can be fenced in but once again I have not seen any listings that show that.
There are two kinds of Villas. Patio villas do not have fenced yards. Courtyard villas do have fenced yards, and usually have some grass or pine needles.

I have two dogs and wouldn't trade my Courtyard villa for the world. In the morning or late at night, no walks are required. You can stay in your PJ's and just open the sliding glass door and let your dogs run. Just great if you're feeling lazy or it is raining.

I also take my dogs daily to the Dog Park for a good unleashed run.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

We have one small doggie - and he also goes to the dog park daily for a good run. The rest of the time we walk him in the yard or to an open area to do his business.

We have a wall behind us and he does sometimes rin free between our house and our neighbors (who would dog nap him if they thought it was an option).

I think if I had two doggies I would go with the CYV. Some have a great deal of space - usually on an end - or sometimes just the way they are spaced. Like some others suggested, take a look online and then come for a visit. If you do lifestyles, request a CYV so you get an idea what it is like. I loved it; my hubs did not. Hence our compromise home!

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Platinum member

Our dogs LOVE our Court Yard Villa! And so do we!
Tampa, FL
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM

No Fences!
As BG represents the M family rules and postures here, it would be appropriate to follow his direction or else personally consult with BG.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Platinum member

The ultimate courtyard villa is one on a corner lot. Not only the completely fenced in yard for the pooches, but a big private side yard with lots of room for pooches AND people. Ahh, heaven!!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
No Fences!
As BG represents the M family rules and postures here, it would be appropriate to follow his direction or else personally consult with BG.
Midge,

I don't quite understand your post. Other than the Nash Loop area in Hemingway and in the CYVs, fences aren't allowed. So why the derogatory remark to Bogey? Of course, I said I didn't really understand your post, so maybe it wasn't meant to be derogatory?

k
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,031 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default courtyard villas

Courtyard villas are fenced in and great for pets. If you want to see courtyard villas that are not listed and shown by the villages sales reps you need to look in the MLS(Mulitiple listing service) The villages' sales agents cannot show you these preowned villas. One place you can see them is at www.KAROLintheVillages.com.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Sage

Why do some homes in the nash loop in Hemingway have completely fenced in yards when it isnt allowed anywhere else?

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Eternal Member

Don't know for sure but heard it was a trial thing to see how well it would be received. Don't know if they are all sold or not.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.