your dog is killing my yard

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Default your dog is killing my yard

A big thanks to all you dog walkers out there who think MY YARD is your dogs bathroom. You might pick up the turd...how about that pint of urine.
Better yet..why not walk your dog in your yard.Let YOUR DOG crap all over your yard first..then if the little darlin needs a walk...great..at least he won't be leaving his lunch in my yard.
The dead spots in my yard are due to your dog. I don't see any dead spots in your yard..Give us a break.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
A big thanks to all you dog walkers out there who think MY YARD is your dogs bathroom. You might pick up the turd...how about that pint of urine.
Better yet..why not walk your dog in your yard.Let YOUR DOG crap all over your yard first..then if the little darlin needs a walk...great..at least he won't be leaving his lunch in my yard.
The dead spots in my yard are due to your dog. I don't see any dead spots in your yard..Give us a break.
and so it begins. There is nothing like a good dog poop thread.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Gold member

Are there any dog trainers out there? Looks to me that there is some good money to be made by teaching the "poop NOW" and "pee NOW" commands.

But then again maybe it is wild animals that are causing those yellow grass areas. I've seen rats around - do they pee?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:45 PM

go take a nap
Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Eternal Member

My mailbox up north is located at the street and is a vacuum for every dog that comes near it. They stop, they sniff, leave proper notification that they have stopped by and I still have to trim the grass around the mailbox every time I cut. One would think it would be as if agent orange had been sprayed around the mailbox with all the activity there.

Are you sure that it is a dog that is killing your grass?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Sage

Hi Bones,
Welcome. Dog pee is a popular topic on TOTV. Methinks most TVers curb their dogs.

However, if you see someone allowing their dog into your yard, you might want to approach the person nicely, and with your best diplomacy, introduce yourself, ask your neighbor about his/her dog-- dog lovers love to talk about their dogs-- and then ask them to not let their dog go on your yard.

That way, you won't make, um... A stink.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Sage
Default solution?

i have one bush on the corner of my property which has already been killed and replaced once and is now dead again....is there a suggestion on what else might be killing only that one plant? i think it must be a dog, too~
Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Sage

I agree that dog urine, especially female dog urine, could be impacting your lawn. You've made quite a statement so I assume you know for sure that all of the damage is from from pooches.

It's difficult to deal with owners who don't realize that not all of us want our yards used as a rest room by dogs. Honestly, when one dog pees, it acts like a magnet for other dogs...they want to mark, make the territory theirs...it's just doggie instinct.

Is there any product you might apply to the lawn or more specifically, the perimeter of your property so the dogs might not want to enter your yard? I realize I'm asking you to take on an expense you shouldn't have to, but it might work, ill feelings will be prevented and hopefully, your lawn will return to its bright green and lush status.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
and so it begins. There is nothing like a good dog poop thread.
So true......today's driveway coating thread has slid downward in the rankings now that we have a good dog poop thread above the fold.

Seriously, I think people should take their dog out for a walk after they have done their business in their own back yard. This is why we all own a property of our own and are not renting an apartment on the streets of Manhattan or somewhere like that.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
i have one bush on the corner of my property which has already been killed and replaced once and is now dead again....is there a suggestion on what else might be killing only that one plant? i think it must be a dog, too~
I know this is off topic, but do consider something in the soil. Happened to us in our other house.

Now, back to dog poop and pee...
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Maybe you have a different grass than I have in my yard, but the coarse zoyzia grass in my yard hasn't "spotted" or "browned" because of dog urine in the 2 1/2 years I've been watching my neighbors walk their dogs down my street.

When I first moved here I was irritated about the dog walkers (I'm a cat guy) who "allowed" their pooches to relieve themselves in my yard. I've even been "tactfully reminded" that the first 10 ft. is not technically mine. But after a while I noticed that the grass wasn't being affected, unlike my rye grass mixture lawn did up in NJ.

So now I just say hello to my neighbors from my street facing lanai (that at least let's them know I see them) and refrain from stressing out.

(Except for the one guy I saw standing with his dog in the middle of my large corner yard. "Hey, this isn't a public park buddy!!")
Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Maybe you have a different grass than I have in my yard, but the coarse zoyzia grass in my yard hasn't "spotted" or "browned" because of dog urine in the 2 1/2 years I've been watching my neighbors walk their dogs down my street.

When I first moved here I was irritated about the dog walkers (I'm a cat guy) who "allowed" their pooches to relieve themselves in my yard. I've even been "tactfully reminded" that the first 10 ft. is not technically mine. But after a while I noticed that the grass wasn't being affected, unlike my rye grass mixture lawn did up in NJ.

So now I just say hello to my neighbors from my street facing lanai (that at least let's them know I see them) and refrain from stressing out.

(Except for the one guy I saw standing with his dog in the middle of my large corner yard. "Hey, this isn't a public park buddy!!")
Doesn't seem to bother the St Augustine grass on our lawn. My Border Collie goes several times a day on it along with other neighborhood pooches. No brown spots.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Okay folks we are coming to The Villages with two ambitious peeing Yorkies. Sammy loves to sniff and lift at every tree or bush that comes his way. Lilly does her business and then sniffs every bodies remaining business. What's that all about?:

When we arrive next month I will try my best to keep these creatures confined to their peeing stations. These Yorkies just love to sniff and pee, dang I love them. But if they do deviate from their territory and pee in your yard, it will just be a little puddle, but Sammy thinks its Lake Michigan, dang these Yorkies.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM

This does sound like a dog gone problem and no one should have to hound anyone to keep their pooch in their own yard. When pet urine poodles in the corner of a yard, it can take a husky man to replace the sod. So please just curb your pet and everyone can live happily ever after.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X View Post
This does sound like a dog gone problem and no one should have to hound anyone to keep their pooch in their own yard. When pet urine poodles in the corner of a yard, it can take a husky man to replace the sod. So please just curb your pet and everyone can live happily ever after.
Nice play on words....

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.