your dog is killing my yard

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X View Post
This does sound like a dog gone problem and no one should have to hound anyone to keep their pooch in their own yard. When pet urine poodles in the corner of a yard, it can take a husky man to replace the sod. So please just curb your pet and everyone can live happily ever after.
I think you're barking up the right tree, Chief.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Apparently doggie pee pee can be a problem for lawns...

http://dogs.about.com/od/faqs/f/Why-...s-On-Grass.htm
Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM

I have learned that while we bought a CYV with a huge yard, Yorkie Merlin still needs to walk 2 miles before the mood strikes him. Dang yorkies.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Apparently doggie pee pee can be a problem for lawns...

http://dogs.about.com/od/faqs/f/Why-...s-On-Grass.htm
Well, it would be more accurate to say "some lawns".
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum member
Default Another Thought

We've been here for almost 8 years and had 2 dogs for almost the first 6 until they both died when they were 17. They didn't go for walks (much preferred the cart) but always used our yard, along with most every other dog in the neighborhood. We've always had and still have one of the nicest yards in TV. We had a fenced in yard back home which they always used and never had a problem with it either.

Could it be that a call to your yard service company might help with the brown patches? Those could be due to something that could end up claiming the entire yard.

I think that you will find that if you ask the walkers nicely to ensure that their dogs relieve themselves elsewhere, most of them will be happy to do so. You might even tell them that you don't know what's affecting your lawn, but that it might be something that would harm the dogs or the treatments might and they sure wouldn't want that. In any event, it is your yard and you do have the right to how it is used or not used.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Get a lawn treatment for pests where they put down a pesticide. The company usually puts up a sign to warn of the danger present because of the chemicals. Dog walkers are loathe to walk their dog on a lawn with that sign. Ask the company for a few extra signs. Apply the signs as needed.

Just a thought.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just go pee on there lawn.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 AM

At our former house in VA we had our mailbox on the street. As I was approaching our drive in the car our neighbor was letting her lab poop at our mailbox. I asked her not to allow their dog to do that, she replied"my dog likes to do that here". I said let you dog"do that at your mailbox, don't let him do that again here". It makes it unpleasant to even get the mail. She gave me the "deer in the headlight look".

These people vote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJODO View Post
At our former house in VA we had our mailbox on the street. As I was approaching our drive in the car our neighbor was letting her lab poop at our mailbox. I asked her not to allow their dog to do that, she replied"my dog likes to do that here". I said let you dog"do that at your mailbox, don't let him do that again here". It makes it unpleasant to even get the mail. She gave me the "deer in the headlight look".

These people vote
I had the same problem back north and a friend told me to put moth balls by the mail box. It worked seems dogs don't like the smell of moth balls and they stayed away from my mail box even after the moth balls were gone they would just walk on by on the other side of the street. It only takes a few moth balls to do the job.

I played a golf course down in Naples and they put moth balls all over in the bushes and I was told that it keeps the critters (snakes) away.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

Now that is a good suggestion Chris.

We can now discuss whether squatting or lifting the leg will make the spot more intense.

Good morning everyone!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Now that is a good suggestion Chris.

We can now discuss whether squatting or lifting the leg will make the spot more intense.

Good morning everyone!
Perhaps we could start a "Go Pee On Their Lawn" club.

We could have a schedule so we can get full pee coverage; have special events where we pee as a group covering the entire lawn and even have news cover an event to promote our cause. l2ridehd, we'll make you the first club president since the idea originated with you. And Gracie, we'll have you work on a Mission Statement for the group! We might even be able to recruit Fumar as our publicity chairman!

Happy peeing everybody!

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh my. I am so glad I can't be good for tooooo long.

And I have good company on here.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread on Dog uhh stuff.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM

I have a female dog , and she pee's in my yard. We must have special grass because we have no yellow spots. Or she has truely amazing pee........
Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJODO View Post
At our former house in VA we had our mailbox on the street. As I was approaching our drive in the car our neighbor was letting her lab poop at our mailbox. I asked her not to allow their dog to do that, she replied "my dog likes to do that here". I said let you dog "do that at your mailbox, don't let him do that again here". It makes it unpleasant to even get the mail. She gave me the "deer in the headlight look".

These people vote
Many people treat their dog like it's a god and don't care what mere humans are experiencing.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Bones,
Welcome. Dog pee is a popular topic on TOTV. Methinks most TVers curb their dogs.

However, if you see someone allowing their dog into your yard, you might want to approach the person nicely, and with your best diplomacy, introduce yourself, ask your neighbor about his/her dog-- dog lovers love to talk about their dogs-- and then ask them to not let their dog go on your yard.

That way, you won't make, um... A stink.
Good one!

Seriously, this is good advice. Hope your situation improves!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.