your dog is killing my yard

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog friendly View Post
I have a female dog , and she pee's in my yard. We must have special grass because we have no yellow spots. Or she has truely amazing pee........
We get these tablets at PetSmart that must change the PH of the pee because since our girls have been taking them...no more yellow spots. And they must taste good because the girls think they are treats. We NEVER let them eliminate ANYTHING anyway but in our yard. I was describing no more yellow spots in our yard.

Last edited by ladydoc; 10-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
A big thanks to all you dog walkers out there who think MY YARD is your dogs bathroom. You might pick up the turd...how about that pint of urine.
Better yet..why not walk your dog in your yard.Let YOUR DOG crap all over your yard first..then if the little darlin needs a walk...great..at least he won't be leaving his lunch in my yard.
The dead spots in my yard are due to your dog. I don't see any dead spots in your yard..Give us a break.
You can buy a spinkler hear that attaches to a hose that is motion activated and you can give them a good soak if they enter your property line. You can easily deactivate it as well. Just would be hard to use if they are going in a place where company would be coming up to your house.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Default Bones...I'm a walker with my dogs

and also carry bags and attempt to curb them as often as possible.
Perhaps you could make a small sign that says No dogs, please. That
would certainly get attention, mine for sure. Or make a small sign with a
photo of a dog and put a red line through it.

Most responsible dog owners do their best to have their dog urinate not on someone else's lawn, however, it can happen. I carry a small bottle of water with a spray attachment, if mine "go", I first pick it up and then spray water on the area, if they pee, I do the same thing in an attempt to dillute the urine.

Your post is a good reminder to all of us with dogs to try and do the
right thing. In areas where there are no curbs or sidewalks, it is
very difficult indeed. But the vast majority of those of us with dogs
really do our very best to curb the dog, and many have trained their dogs
to "go" in the home yard before setting out on a walk. I'm sorry you are
having this issue.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Always room for one more...

When marking instead of just eliminating for need, dogs always seem to have just a bit left. That's the problem with dogs who 'over' mark another dogs spot. I have yet to see a dog on empty. I prefer to walk my dogs down the center of the street in my neighborhood because I don't LIKE the distraction of the scents, but that's another story and you can take your life in your hands that way too (I am not a TV resident yet).
There are products you can spray on your lawn to counteract the harmful effects of dog urine, but it is unfair to make the homeowner who doesn't have a dog, or the one whose own dog doesn't use the front yard pay for it. Even if you can speak to the person you see doing it I am sure you can't 'catch' everyone who walks by. At least I know that's how it is here. And everyone denies, denies, denies anyway. Maybe this will raise awareness. Having a friendly and polite discussion never hurts and I liked the suggestion of talking about the dog first then bringing it up. Great idea.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

As the link that Whalen posted indicates, dog urine can burn grass and plants. It is primarily attributed to the amount of nitrogen in the urine and because different dogs have different amounts of nitrogen...some dogs don’t damage grass, while others do. I’ve had dogs all of my life and I know this to be a fact. I don’t think the type of grass matters, although the overall health of the lawn, the type of fertilizer used and how hot it is might.

My current dogs leave little brown spots all over my back yard. I know they are the cause of it and I accept it as a minor drawback to having my beloved pets. But I don’t expect my neighbors to accept it.

When I walk my dogs through the neighborhood I do not allow them to step one foot onto someone else’s property. They want to ... very badly ... they are drawn to the grass and plants and all the wonderful smells. They try to pull me over to those aroma smorgasbords. They want to sniff out the previous visitors and leave a calling card of their own...but I just don’t let them do it. Such is life, they get over it. There are plenty of common areas and dog parks where I can let them indulge in their instinctual habits without trespassing on and causing damage to another’s property. If during our walks they have a true need to eliminate, then they just have to do it in the street, but in general I keep them on a schedule where most of that is done in my own (brown spotted) yard.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

Is there any product you might apply to the lawn or more specifically, the perimeter of your property so the dogs might not want to enter your yard? I realize I'm asking you to take on an expense you shouldn't have to, but it might work, ill feelings will be prevented and hopefully, your lawn will return to its bright green and lush status.
Yes, Its called an air rifle and its made by DAISY.........
Old 10-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Yes, Its called an air rifle and its made by DAISY.........

Oh Fum. They are gonna take you serious.

He isn't serious anyone...

FUMAR!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post

I had the same problem back north and a friend told me to put moth balls by the mail box. It worked seems dogs don't like the smell of moth balls and they stayed away from my mail box even after the moth balls were gone they would just walk on by on the other side of the street. It only takes a few moth balls to do the job.

I played a golf course down in Naples and they put moth balls all over in the bushes and I was told that it keeps the critters (snakes) away.
I think this is a great suggestion by Indy Guy! A very constructive solution! Should property owners have to go out and buy mothballs? Of course not. But mothballs are cheaper than an air rifle, and they could avert a lot of unpleasantness. I've used mothballs under the deck at the cottage to discourage skunks. It makes sense that they'd work for dogs.

Also, please don't forget that we have Dog Parks now, ideal for dogs who love to socialize. We don't walk our dogs in our neighborhood, we take them to the dog park where they can run free. They go to the bathroom in our back yard, and I pick up immediately. My big dog causes brown spots on our grass, so I've trained her to go on rock.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh Fum. They are gonna take you serious.
He isn't serious anyone...
FUMAR!!!!
No- one is ever quite sure about
,,,, mysterious Fumar!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Mothballs are poisonous to animals.

From the ASPCA:

In the past year, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has managed 113 cases of mothball poisoning, and most of those accidents happened during the spring and summer months. According to the APCC’s Dana Farbman, CVT, the ingestion of just one mothball can produce significant illness.

Naphthalene—an offending chemical found in some brands of mothballs—is toxic to dogs, cats and other animals, and if ingested, can cause serious illness, including vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, swelling of the brain tissue, seizures, damage to the liver, kidneys and blood cells, coma and even death.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM

It would be the dog that eats anything that would eat a mothball and then get sick.....
I take my dog to common areas, in the golf cart 3 times a day so she will not have the opportunity to pee in a neighbors yard, she will go in her own yard... good girl.. and she would never eat a mothball, but some dogs will eat anything as I have said and that said NEVER USE MOOTHBALLS!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM

He is
Old 10-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Default My dog

My dog urinates in the following places: storm drains, curbs, sprinkler heads (my neighbors are grateful that he keeps their sprinkler heads clear) fire hydrant's and lampposts. The last two he has as much right to urinate on as you do. He however will not get busted for lewd and lascivious conduct.

My dog poops where he wishes. I pick it up.

We have no cranky dog haters on our street.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
Mothballs are poisonous to animals.

From the ASPCA:

In the past year, the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has managed 113 cases of mothball poisoning, and most of those accidents happened during the spring and summer months. According to the APCC’s Dana Farbman, CVT, the ingestion of just one mothball can produce significant illness.

Naphthalene—an offending chemical found in some brands of mothballs—is toxic to dogs, cats and other animals, and if ingested, can cause serious illness, including vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, swelling of the brain tissue, seizures, damage to the liver, kidneys and blood cells, coma and even death.
Thanks for posting this, Skybo! I had no idea that mothballs were poisonous to animals. I should definitely have googled this before jumping on the Mothball Train. Me bad.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default the only correct answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
When I walk my dogs through the neighborhood I do not allow them to step one foot onto someone else’s property.
Lawn spots, uranalysis, ph content, all aside...

To me, who loves dogs but does not want their droppings in MY yard (I think that's MY right), this is the only correct answer - from a responsible dog owner there.

Thanks for understanding - SKYBO!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.