Your pets and their food

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2022, 07:35 AM
Wink Diane's cat BB eating habits

La lamy

A cat 'expert' said morning and evening is 'wet food' time..dry food all day available...I see if my cat was without 'dry' early, he would eat wet food quickly (the low cost) ...but if he's snacking dry...he wouldn't eat the cheap wet...knows I have better ones also! ;-)
Diane & BB "cat" (sis Helen is now in The Villages...left Texas)
Old 07-12-2022, 07:35 AM

I had a cat with diabetes so I did a lot of research on cat food. A vet who specialized in diabetic cats recommended Friskies wet food over even the expensive specialized foods. I split one 6 Oz can between two cats daily. My cats prefer turkey with giblets. They prefer filets or shreds but will eat the pate. I also leave a bowel of dry kibble for them to graze on. I usually buy Purina urinary tract kibble. Water is also key. Hope this helps you. I always have two cats so they have companionship when I am gone.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:39 AM
Wink La lamy 's cat's eating habits

Hi La lamy...

A cat 'expert' said morning and evening is 'wet food' time..dry food all day available...I see if my cat was without 'dry' early, he would eat wet food quickly (the low cost) ...but if he's snacking dry...he wouldn't eat the cheap wet...knows I have better ones also! ;-)
Old 07-12-2022, 09:37 AM

I used to feed a bunch of strays at my office before retiring. We always gave them wet and they really liked the fish (it almost caused fights they like it so much). They lived forever so it must have been okay to give them that.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:13 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

For me, it has been only dogs, but it is fun to hear cat stories.

If you tend to anthropomorphize your pets -- like I do, by giving them voices to say what they are thinking -- I think you might like Henri, le Chat Noir in his youtube videos.......

Henri is aloof and cynically observant and oh so angst-ridden, suffering from ennui, from being surrounded by "imbeciles." We "hear" him in French but the screen's subtitles are in English. The guy who "discovered" Henri is his owner Will Braden. Henri thinks of his owner as "the thieving filmmaker."

Henri has jaded opinions on everything that happens in his life.

There are several youtube videos of Henri as he comments on different subjects. I think he started in 2007 and the last one was about 5 years later. But Henri is no longer with us.

Henri signed with a cat food company to give his opinion on the boredom of cat food. I am linking one of Henri's cat food commentaries below. If you like it, I bet you will like his other subjects, too. (This link is to his first ad on cat food boredom, but all 4 are there on youtube and are even better. Henri is sooooo well-read. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgpRDLVAO1s

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-12-2022 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-12-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I recently took in an abandoned female cat and I've had some challenges trying to figure out what to feed her. At first it was just kibble which I found handy and non messy. She didn't like some Friskies' beef flavour so I eventually figured out she mostly prefers fish. Then a friend told me that a vet told him cats need wet food, that it's healthier for them, while another said they need dry food which is better for their teeth. All I know is my cat prefers wet food and starts meowing WAY TOO EARLY to get some in the morning. SO I'm back to dry for her during the day and wet at night, hoping she'll stop the meowing in the morning. What do you feed your pet, and how is it working out?
Congratulations on your new family member. I think canned food tastes better to a cat than dried food. We once got a cat from someone who was moving away and wasn't taking their cat. She was a kitten, only 6 months old and had only had tuna fish her whole life (cats get addicted to tuna.) She had hissy fits as we weaned her to regular cat food.

If you haven't already visited Dr. Karen Becker's website give her a visit. She is a wealth of knowledge.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:03 PM

Remember when you switched your little ones from formula to solid food. They slept longer and were filled up. Same with kittens/cats. Wet food is good to get them used to and probably better, but solid food sticks to the ribs.
Put some dry food and wet food on a plate. I always put the wet over the dry. They will eat it and stay full longer. Always leave dry food out for a young cat so they can graze.
Sometimes they just like attention. Remember, they are training you - they think.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I recently took in an abandoned female cat and I've had some challenges trying to figure out what to feed her. At first it was just kibble which I found handy and non messy. She didn't like some Friskies' beef flavour so I eventually figured out she mostly prefers fish. Then a friend told me that a vet told him cats need wet food, that it's healthier for them, while another said they need dry food which is better for their teeth. All I know is my cat prefers wet food and starts meowing WAY TOO EARLY to get some in the morning. SO I'm back to dry for her during the day and wet at night, hoping she'll stop the meowing in the morning. What do you feed your pet, and how is it working out?
Remember when you switched your little ones from formula to solid food. They slept longer and were filled up. Same with kittens/cats. Wet food is good to get them used to and probably better, but solid food sticks to the ribs.
Put some dry food and wet food on a plate. I always put the wet over the dry. They will eat it and stay full longer. Always leave dry food out for a young cat so they can graze.
Sometimes they just like attention. Remember, they are training you - they think.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Abandoned cat? Have you tried to find the owner? There is a post in talk of the villages by someone looking for a short haired skinny, timid cat.

I would take the cat to a vet. You want to know health, shots, has it been neutered etc. Truth, I had a friend, years ago, pick up a stray dog at the NY Maritime museum. He took it to a vet as soon as he could. It was not a dog at all, it was a huge rat from Australia.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
My cat lived for 19 years. All I ever fed her was kibble. I think everyone is over thinking it nowadays. I put her kibble down in the morning and let her graze throughout the day. She was always thin and healthy as a result. She ate when she was hungry and usually just a few pieces at a time. As a treat on holidays , I might buy a can of wet food but always put this on a separate plate so she knew it was a treat only. I really wouldn’t worry about what everyone tells you. Find a kibble your cat likes and stick to it only. Your cat will be healthy and happy as a result
Thanks so much for that!!!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitnhead View Post
I used to feed a bunch of strays at my office before retiring. We always gave them wet and they really liked the fish (it almost caused fights they like it so much). They lived forever so it must have been okay to give them that.
What a nice thing to do!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Abandoned cat? Have you tried to find the owner? There is a post in talk of the villages by someone looking for a short haired skinny, timid cat.

I would take the cat to a vet. You want to know health, shots, has it been neutered etc. Truth, I had a friend, years ago, pick up a stray dog at the NY Maritime museum. He took it to a vet as soon as he could. It was not a dog at all, it was a huge rat from Australia.
Yes I know my neighbours well and put the word out that this cat seemed homeless since she was living in my bushes for MONTHS, getting skinnier and weaker until I finally decided to feed it. I did take her to a vet and got her all her shots and tests. She's gained some weight and doing so much better now.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Yes I know my neighbours well and put the word out that this cat seemed homeless since she was living in my bushes for MONTHS, getting skinnier and weaker until I finally decided to feed it. I did take her to a vet and got her all her shots and tests. She's gained some weight and doing so much better now.
I've always had a passion for cats, and have fed both strays and ferals (hard to tell the difference from a distance, but you sure can if you get within maybe 20 feet of them).

Back in the day, living in the wilds of Northern Minnesota, a cat took up residence in the back of the woodshed. Definitely NOT a stray: if you got within 10' of it, it would fluff up and hiss. But I brought it some food (canned dog food, actually) and left it for him. Slowly, after weeks of this, he and I made friends. He was one tough old cat: scarred from many fights, missing one ear, and with his fur knotted up. He was never a pet; he came and went as he pleased, but he'd show up, hang out for a few days, then disappear for awhile. He actually let me cut out some of the fur knots and comb him out, after a fashion. Named him Wendell.

Wendell was tough, but unlike most cats he didn't seem all that bright. We hung laundry outside to dry back then; the lines strung between two structures of two poles stuck in the ground with a horizontal bar on the top. There was a squirrel that used to hang around; he'd shinny up one pole and sit on the top, chattering at Wendell. Wendell would go up the pole after him; the squirrel would then cross the log to the other pole, where he'd sit, still chattering. Wendell would try to cross the log, but he never made it more than halfway before falling off. I swear that squirrel was actually laughing.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've always had a passion for cats, and have fed both strays and ferals (hard to tell the difference from a distance, but you sure can if you get within maybe 20 feet of them).

Back in the day, living in the wilds of Northern Minnesota, a cat took up residence in the back of the woodshed. Definitely NOT a stray: if you got within 10' of it, it would fluff up and hiss. But I brought it some food (canned dog food, actually) and left it for him. Slowly, after weeks of this, he and I made friends. He was one tough old cat: scarred from many fights, missing one ear, and with his fur knotted up. He was never a pet; he came and went as he pleased, but he'd show up, hang out for a few days, then disappear for awhile. He actually let me cut out some of the fur knots and comb him out, after a fashion. Named him Wendell.

Wendell was tough, but unlike most cats he didn't seem all that bright. We hung laundry outside to dry back then; the lines strung between two structures of two poles stuck in the ground with a horizontal bar on the top. There was a squirrel that used to hang around; he'd shinny up one pole and sit on the top, chattering at Wendell. Wendell would go up the pole after him; the squirrel would then cross the log to the other pole, where he'd sit, still chattering. Wendell would try to cross the log, but he never made it more than halfway before falling off. I swear that squirrel was actually laughing.

Wendell was at least entertained I reckon!
Attached Images
unknown-1-jpeg 
Old 07-13-2022, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
The thing about dry food and teeth is an outright, absolute, 100% marketing lie. Not even a mistruth. It's flat out wrong.

Think about it: imagine you are stuck eating nothing but vitamin/mineral-fortified cold cheerios without milk for the rest of your life. Imagine eating that, and not being physically capable of brushing your own teeth, and relying on someone else to remember it needs to be done.

Cat teeth are made of the same substance that human teeth are made of.

What's worse, is cats have no molars. They can't CHEW. It's physically impossible. They can bite, they can chip, they can crunch and break up a big piece into shards, but they can't do what is known as "masticate."

Next: cats are obligate carnivores. Their digestive system is not designed to handle vegetable matter efficiently. Yes, they /can/ digest some vegetable matter - but not efficiently, not in a way that maximizes their ability to absorb their nutritional intake.

I'm not even talking about them needing grain-free. I'm talking fresh raw dead animal, including some raw bones and offal. That's what cats thrive on most.

That's hardly convenient for pet owners (though some people actually do go that route). The next best thing would be a custom diet of ground meats such as duck and rabbit, with some raw chicken bone ground up into bone meal (never cooked), and a pinch of ground grass, also ground. That will best reflect the diet of an animal that a cat would prey on, in the wild.

Next best would be a freeze-dried raw food from a pet store, re-hydrated with water at meal time. I like Stella and Chewy's, it has some vegetable matter in it, which is what is found in the stomachs of a cat's natural prey, but is mostly raw meat, dehydrated into pellets that I rehydrate with warm water.

Alternate with grain-free wet food that does -not- have pea protein or a high vegetable content. Fish should be the last animal protein choice, because of the mercury content. But if they like fish, give'em fish in your rotation. I like the BFF from Weruva, she gets a small can of a variety of chicken-based flavors (they all contain fish) at bedtime.

And oddly enough - Fancy Feast TENDER meals are grain-free, low-veggie content, and inexpensive commercial food. But make sure to get the "Classic Tender" varieties, the other varieties have gluten and/or grain. Cats are gluten-intolerant.

Cats are also intolerant to lactose from cows' milk. A sip or two won't hurt them. But a saucer full can wreck their intestines for a few days.

Cats have naturally low thirst drives. Some cats like water but most don't, and will only drink it if they're already dehydrated. Most cats that are dehydrated, are dehydrated because their owners refuse to give them wet food.

And for the love of everything holy - don't give them Hill's Rx diet. If your vet recommends it, find a new vet. That stuff is poison. Just read the ingredients some time and remember "cats are obligate carnivores."
Closed Thread

Tags
food, wet, meowing, prefers, dry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.