Rentals as retirement income

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshinnick View Post
Hey all-

We're looking at TV not only as a place to live, but also as a source of retirement income.

If I sell my other real estate, which is in California and not easily managed from Florida, I'll have roughly $1M to invest.

We were considering buying, say, four $250k homes and leasing them on annual leases only, and living on the income. If they would each produce $1,500/month net, that would provide enough income for us. And, doing a 1031 exchange, real estate into real estate, would allow me to defer taxes.

We're just not sure what the demand is for annual-lease property in TV. Any thoughts on this? Any alternate suggestions?

Thanks-

Dave
I think your estimate of $1500 is very high. That is what many pay /month on a yearly basis anyway and that's gross. We had a rental, a rancher, for 8 years and did not gross but about $6000/year. It was rented about 7-8 months in high season. I agree with the posters to purchase less expensive homes, ranchers or cottages which will rent easier.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

I closed on a Designer Home in April of this year and I believe there was a restriction in the deed or sales agreement to the number of home one is able to purchase within The Villages.........this is from memory but was wondering if anyone else remembers this restriction?
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I think you could be thinking about the year restriction before selling a new home. You can sell but if there is any profit it goes to the Developer. That clause was in our sales contract but I don't recall anything about how many new houses you could buy and for sure there is no restriction on how many resales you can own in TV.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.