What options for a new designer home are 'a must have'

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina

we're building the Whispering Pines. We spent a lot on the lot, so wanted to keep the house price as low as we can. With the bump outs, it'll be about 1800 sq ft.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Default Fernanadina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgentile1010 View Post
Hi,

I've purchased a lot in the new village of Fernandino. We'll be picking the house in July. Since we'll be renting it the first few years, we'll be building it with mostly basics. So far the only extras are the golf car garage, a 2 ft bump out to the back of the house, a 2 ft bump out to the lanai and window blinds. Does anyone have recommendations for 'a must have'. Something they didn't do and in retrospect wish they had added during the buiding. Or something they did add during building and are now so glad they did.

Any guidance is so much appreciated.

Thanks
Which unit number in Fernandina? We're in 208
Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina

We're in 205, so not far.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM

We also are in Fernandina 205; lot 96.
Our design team meeting is mid June; probably an Ivy.
Some after-contract items can be more expensive and disruptive, so I would recommend getting as much done when doing the initial build. Obviously budget and personal tastes will rule.
Cheers,
Bob & Tracy
Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Smile options for a new designer home

We were told to buy our own clothes washer and dryer. We bought a standard lot in Sanibel with a wall behind us for privacy. We also got the golf garage. We bought an Iris. In the master bedroom there are four windows. We took out the two side windows. We also took out the side kitchen window. Honestly why do they put 3 windows in the nook area? So we have the small window and the slider. We had The Villages install pull out draws in our top shelves in the kitchen. The top half shelf is a waste of space. Our designer suggested buying one particular style of tile. My husband loved the color but I did not. At the last minute I changed the color and it saved us $5,000. It is important to ask your designer person to take you out to look at several different styles of tile. I could not find anything I liked until we went to see a model which had the laminated counters we wanted to see. When we walked inside the house, I immediately like that tile even though I did not choose it from the beginning. We decided to go with several upgrades including granite for the kitchen counters. We did select laminated counters in the laundry and bathrooms. We choose the Iris as it has an extra space off the laundry room. So does the Lilac which is a frame house. We bought the block style. We can install more cabinets on one side and the other install a counter to fold clothes. We were even thinking of putting in a desk for our laptop too. We upgraded the carpets in the bedrooms. We were given credit for windows we took out. We decided to get our own vertical blinds for the kitchen and living room sliders. The rest of the house we bought the blinds. The Villages should begin building our home this week. They first told us it would take 65 to 70 days to build but it seems like they are going to do it in less than 59 days as our closing is July 11We bought the stainless steel kitchen appliance package because the microwave above the stove could not be changed at all if we wanted to do our own appliances. Every upgrade is included in how The Villages figures out our taxes. Good luck. Patti
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Gas in TV ????? I had no idea that its available.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Default Rough cost

Hi All,

Will be coming down in July to buy Designer . Just wondering what the rough cost are for the Roman Shower, golf cart garage and appliance upgrade? Would help us greatly in pre planning and avoid on site SHOCK?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

If you have a very large master bath set the shower up as a roll in. You just never know also its a great resale .
Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Sage

Lyle, does it really matter tho?

Doesn't the resale market remain strong and any home can be sold if priced at market?

What is the average time a house takes to sell here?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Sage

Someone told me but I forgot when the expected build out year was estimated, do you know?

Also what's your guess as the value increase 5% 10% ?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage
Default Estimated year(s) for build out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Someone told me but I forgot when the expected build out year was estimated, do you know?

Also what's your guess as the value increase 5% 10% ?
I asked that question of just about every agent (both TV and MLS) when I attended open houses while in TV earlier this month. 2015 and 2016 were the years mentioned.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM

Had my design visits this week. we're signing our contract today. Wow, what a whirlwind. thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We'll be villagers in October. Yea
Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Sage

IMO any home purchased before the build out should appreciate in value after that time a/k/a a great investment to buy now.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM

We also have a Whispering Pine. Bump out all you can, you won't regret it. Our house is 1830 and we wish it could be a little larger but since we bought used there is no way. The previous owner extended the garage 4 feet and you cant believe how much difference that makes. He installed a garage full of cabinets and we have no problem with storage. Without them it would be an issue, even with the attic storage. If you can make the lanai a little wider you will appreciate it, I wish ours was a couple feet wider. You will enjoy the house.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Default So How Many Days To Closing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgentile1010 View Post
Had my design visits this week. we're signing our contract today. Wow, what a whirlwind. thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We'll be villagers in October. Yea

You said "we'll be villagers in October." So I'm assuming you're closing in October? Do you mind giving the date? We have our design meeting in September...just trying to figure out from contract signing to closing how many days...

Thanks!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.