Club Car charging delays

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Default Club Car charging delays

I have a 2009 Club car with an on board charger under the rear seat. I have had issues wiht it in the past and there was evidently a bad wire which was replaced. wind ahead another year or so and i recently replaced the 3 year old batteries with Ranger extended range. I thought things were going to be good but some nights when i plug in the cart, i hear nothing. Not the usual humming etc etc.

Yesterday we gave it a long hard ride and when i plugged in had no charger sound. An hour or so later it started up.
Is this ok? IT charged for a good 10 hours last night and this morning the batteries were at a hard boil, to me that is not ok so i unplugged it.

Anyone have similar issues, and is a hard boiling sound EVER ok?

steve
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Eternal Member

You definitely have an issue in the charging system, a delay in the charger start up in not accepable and is sign of failure in the system.
Your system needs to be checked out before you damage your Ranger Batteries.
Because of the overcharging I am being led to the rectifiers in the charger or the charge computer in the cart itself.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 AM

First trouble shoot will be to NOT use the onboard charger and instead use one that plugs in the normal front port. I will do that Tomorrow evening and see if things change. That will rule out the on board charger and wiring into the OBC as i understand it. if the new charger works, then that is a fix, otherwise i have an OBC failure i assume?
Is that an easy diagnose?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Eternal Member

By pluging in a other Club Car charger to main plug in seating compartment area will only rule out the rear charger under the rear seat.
The cart OBC is still in charge of when the cart shuts the charger down when compleated charge.
As long as your already in to this you may want to monitor the battery pack voltage while charger start up and before shut down.
FYI compleated pack voltage at full charge battery pack should be 59-62 volts nearing end of charging cyclle before charge shuts off.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:08 PM

Will take measurements tonight with current charger and tomorrow with the new charger.
stay tuned.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 AM

So one day doesn't make a trend, but the new charger in the front port worked fine last night.
It shut off before i could get a final reading, so it charged for less than 8 hours. Will give it a hard run and plug it in very late tonight so i can try to see how long it charges for.
IS there something on the OBC i can check to see if it is doing its job or simply wait to make sure it kicks off.
Is there a std time the batteries should be charging for?
Old 05-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Eternal Member

The fact that the different charger went through a compleat cycle and shut off in eight hours sounds normal for a chaarge cycle.
I assume you did not see any bubbling in the batteries.
The OBC did its job we the differant charger or it would not have shut off properly.
I feel secure in thinking that your original charger has a problem.
Regards
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Another charge / shut off cycle last night as well. Will repost if things go bad, thanks for your insight.!
Closed Thread

Tags
hard, club, car, sound, batteries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.