Gas Club Car loses power/backfires

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Angry Gas Club Car loses power/backfires

I Purchased a 2005 Club Car last year from private party. Ran good several months. Suddenly started backfiring. Next, it started losing power. It would cut out, then chug a few times before finally grabbing hold and running, only to do the same thing again and again. The backfiring happened when I let up on accelerator. Mechanic got it, gave it a tune-up. Symptoms continued. Mechanic replaced carburetor, did other "adjustments". Problem of backfiring continued and got louder. Mechanic got it again, and did other "adjustments". This time the test run proved that it ran with more power than ever and the governor had been set to run at a higher speed when floored. Now, it begins backfiring when first starting out and continues. The cutting out only occurs when it has been run 5 - 6 miles. After 4 times in the shop, I am losing faith in this mechanic, but do not know anything about gas engines and how they work to offer suggestions. Any ideas and/or recommendations on good gas Club Car mechanic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member

What you describe are common problems gas carts have and the cure is checking and adjusting the components that can cause these faults.
I know you will not be the mechanic for the cure but these are most of the things that will be looked at by a good tech. Fuel tank, fuel filters, fuel lines , fuel pump, carb adjustments.
On the electric side, spark plug, wire , micro switch adjustments , coil , rev limiter.
As you can see and I'm sure you agree the testing for this one cylinder engine is basic and complex at the same time and it could be a combination of more than one thing. I don't know who has tried to repair but sometimes they need more time to get it corrected.
If that fails we can help.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 AM

had the same problem , sta-rite took care of it Frank was very helpful cart runs well, some of club car product is a 290 engine 9hp engine might consider upgrade to 350cc 11hp or 400cc 13hp for more power
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.