My cart is crying

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Default My cart is crying

Hi Frank. I have a '09 Yamaha gas cart making a soft, sort of crying noise when I hit the gas pedal to start off. Sometimes it hesitates a second before it gets going, other times it responds normally. One time I had to slam the gas pedal down pretty hard for it to kick in and start. Could it be a starter solenoid getting weak, and not picking up like it should?

What do you think? Thanks, Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Eternal Member
Default Starting noise

By your description of the noise it sounds to me that you may have a week starting battery. If you have the ability with a meter check the static voltage across the positive and negative terminals of the battery, the voltage should be over 12 volts. Also, check the starter generator belt tension it could be as simple as a belt adjustment. Before Battery replacement, a loose belt could be the cause of low battery voltage.

Beyond those two test mentioned if they are satisfactory it is time to call for service.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the advice Frank. Tried your suggestions and everything checked out OK. I removed the floor mat and metal plate to get to the starter switch. Took it apart and burnished the contact points, and sprayed them with contact cleaner. Problem solved. If attempting this yourself just be becareful not to lose the little ball or springs that active the switch when you disassemble the four cover screws. They are under tension.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Good job Bill.
Ben
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.