Need attorney to help fight traffic ticket.

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2023, 07:52 AM

Saw a billboard up north advertising for an attorney " just because you did it doesn't mean your guilty "
Old 02-07-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Sure, you can fight the ticket in court (and likely lose). But, what is your defense strategy? You really have two options:

1. Claim that you did not do what the officer said you did. Let the judge decide who is telling the truth.
2. Claim that you are a nice person with a good driving record, so the law should not apply to you.

If you choose option 1, you are calling the police officer a liar. All he or she did was their lawful duty to enforce traffic laws, and keep everyone safe. Choosing option 2 would put your hubris on display for the court. Either option would be a shameful response, and both are yet more examples of people not willing to accept responsibility for their actions. You screwed up. Admit it, take your lumps, and move on.

By the way...some of the nastiest car wrecks you will ever see occur because of traffic light violations. The most common thing heard by the offending driver?..."I didn't see him coming." Be thankful you didn't hurt or kill anyone.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:11 AM

As former LE. Don’t go to court, pay the ticket. If you go to court the cost will be more because you’ll have to pay cost court higher than paying just the ticket.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,998 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcolonel View Post
As former LE. Don’t go to court, pay the ticket. If you go to court the cost will be more because you’ll have to pay cost court higher than paying just the ticket.
True, but you also need to consider the effect on your auto insurance, which can be a lot greater than the ticket or the court cost.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Like it or not, there are attorneys who can fix a ticket like this in a minute, for a fee. I don't know any in Florida, but I'm sure they are here. That is the way the system operates.

When I lived in Georgia, I once got a speeding ticket in South Carolina. An attorney friend referred me to another attorney in Charleston, SC, I sent him $150, and the ticket was gone without even going to court. For the record, I don't speed anymore.
Just to back you up, I got a speeding ticket on PA Interstate once, going 85. I apologized and pleaded guilty. The officer was very cordial. He said to send my check to the address on the envelope he gave me and there would be no marks on my license and no questions asked. Can't recall how much it was, no more than $100. And sure enough no marks on my license.

That's how people need to react when stopped by the police. No matter what you say, you can't win the argument in that situation. Just acquiesce, be friendly, and if you are right, you will get your day in court.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:52 AM

Sounds like you acted in a illegal manner, especially having admitted that you “made the turn just before the arrow turned green” just the fine and be more careful next time!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:07 AM

She was cited for failure to stop, she stopped. Could be case closed. If she was cited for making a U=turn against a red light, she would be guilty…. Just saying… Me, I would either go to traffic court or just pay the ticket onine which usually is a reduced moving violation set of points…. I have a tee time which is more important. :-)

Also, I have always wondered why you cannot make a U turn at a traffic light, you are not going thru the light, you are turning BEFORE the light/intersection… if you can make a right on red in front of far away oncoming traffic, why wouldn’t a U-turn be similar… just wondering??? Maybe she can be an activist for getting the laws changed???
Old 02-07-2023, 09:11 AM
Default You post is great evidence.

In your post you admitted ignoring the red light. Its a great piece of evidence for the prosecution. Apparently the rules of the road don't apply to you.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianne.newhouse@gmail.com View Post
I was stopped at a red light to do a U turn. After waiting awhile for the light to change, I saw that the oncoming three lanes were all empty, so I turned just before the arrow turned green. The cop cited me for failure to stop at a red light. I would like to fight this. I have a very good driving record.
Please offer recommendations! Thanks!
1. what color was the light when you made the turn?
2. what did the police officer cite you for?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
True, but you also need to consider the effect on your auto insurance, which can be a lot greater than the ticket or the court cost.
But you need to consider what happens if you go to court and lose? You'll pay the court costs AND you still get smacked on your insurance!
Old 02-07-2023, 09:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,808 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
She was cited for failure to stop, she stopped. Could be case closed. If she was cited for making a U=turn against a red light, she would be guilty…. Just saying… Me, I would either go to traffic court or just pay the ticket onine which usually is a reduced moving violation set of points…. I have a tee time which is more important. :-)

Also, I have always wondered why you cannot make a U turn at a traffic light, you are not going thru the light, you are turning BEFORE the light/intersection… if you can make a right on red in front of far away oncoming traffic, why wouldn’t a U-turn be similar… just wondering??? Maybe she can be an activist for getting the laws changed???
You’re in Florida and you want all the old people making a U turn based on their own judgment and reaction time? Didn’t think that one through, did ya? ;-) Enjoy your tee time today.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,808 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
She should have considered the effect on her auto insurance BEFORE she broke the law.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:44 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianne.newhouse@gmail.com View Post
I was stopped at a red light to do a U turn. After waiting awhile for the light to change, I saw that the oncoming three lanes were all empty, so I turned just before the arrow turned green. The cop cited me for failure to stop at a red light. I would like to fight this. I have a very good driving record.
Please offer recommendations! Thanks!
So you went thru a red light…
Old 02-07-2023, 09:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,567 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash4353 View Post
In your post you admitted ignoring the red light. Its a great piece of evidence for the prosecution. Apparently the rules of the road don't apply to you.
Plus, it appears that the screen name is her real name. Not good.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:49 AM

Still laughing. You run a red light, get caught & want a lawyer because you used to have a good record. Am I the only person who thinks this is hilarious.
Closed Thread

Tags
light, fight, turned, red, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.