I'm looking to buy a new Car here in the Villages..... where to go?

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2020, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I have been satisfied with Phillips Toyota in Leesburg....
A couple of years back there was a horror story on TOTV about how dishonestly a buyer was treated at Phillips Toyota. Because we planned to buy there, we looked into the story, found enough truth to it, and as a result bought elsewhere. From answers to the post, it sounded like other buyers also boycotted Phillips Toyota. Can’t remember the name of the OP, but I’m sure you could find it doing a TOTV search for “Beware Phillips Toyota” or something like that. Definitely worth taking into account. Maybe the old OP will post again?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:06 AM

Just went through that a few months ago for the 2nd time around here. Each time the results were the same. Best thing is to decide exactly what you want, send dealers an email listing exactly what you want. If you have a trade in they'll ask for the info on that (VIN # etc.). We found the local Ocala/Leesburg dealers averaged $3-6,000 higher than many others outside of the area. The locals ones also tried to get us the buy something we really didn't want on a vehicle, or drop off something we really wanted (I.e. wanted AWD new 2020 Honda Touring but they only had a 2WD and tried to sell us on that). We found our vehicle in Jacksonville, no fuss no hassle and $6,100 less than local. The out of area dealers locate the exact vehicle you want....and trade off one of their vehicles with other dealers. We also found out that with the Ocala/Leesburg dealers.......they may have different names, but the actual ownership is all the same but they won't tell you that. Also, some of the add ons such as door edge trimming, upgraded interior floor maps etc were provided by dealer at no extra charge (the local dealers were charging). Once you purchase you can use local dealer for all service and warranty work. Yes, it's nice to support local businesses........but not when buying cars. Don't worry, the local business gets your money through service. Good luck and regardless where you buy, hope you get what makes you happy.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:44 AM

have had the opposite experience with phillips. ended up buying at sullivan in ocala. buick is having great deals currently. employee pricing and additional 5500 off. check out dealer web sites many list the price of the car after the discounts
Old 08-08-2020, 07:11 AM
Default Not George Nahas

We have had good luck with Cecil Clark Chevrolet in Leesburg and Phillips Toyota in Leesburg. I will never buy from George Nahas Chevrolet. I took a brand new Corvette there for warranty work and they did over $1500 worth of damage to the car and sent it to Wayne’s Auto Body for repair who made it worst. I had to take it to another body shop to have it repaired. The Service manager at George Nahas told me that I was not his customer since I didn’t buy the car there. He was right, I will never be his customer.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:22 AM

I will tell you one place not to buy is Sullivan Cadillac in Ocala. Bait and switch and other underhanded techniques.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 AM

i shopped for a car 2 years ago near the villages. went to several differant dealers to lease and found there prices surprisingly high.
had to go to ocala to get reasonable lease prices. the price on my honda from dealer in Ocala was $185 per month lower for the same car.
I would travel a bit to buy a car
Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNonnon View Post
I totally agree. Bill Bryan dealership even has a waiting area w soda,coffee,hot dogs, pop corn,WiFi.....bring your dog lol
If we ever even drive by there, you can stop for a car wash.
They even baked cookies. We bought a Subaru and drove it home in a couple of hours. I have friends who drive over from Jacksonville, just to go to that dealership for service.
Right now due to Covid Bill Bryan is not doing hot dogs and popcorn but coffee, soda, water, hot chocolate is all still available at no charge.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtngirl View Post
We also found out that with the Ocala/Leesburg dealers.......they may have different names, but the actual ownership is all the same but they won't tell you that.
Not true at all. I work for Bill Bryan we gave three locations and are not affiliated in any way with the other dealerships. Stop spreading falsehoods.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:02 AM

I encourage you to watch the You Tube video by “The Homework Guy.” Great advice on how to buy a car, avoid dealership shenanigans, and save money.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepearson55804@gmail.com View Post
I like having a new car, and it's time to upgrade. I'd like to buy something local here in the Villages and surrounding area. I don't know anything about the local dealers. I'd appreciate any input, or experiences you've had.
Lexus of Orlando. They sell good cars.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

First go to several dealers to find what car you want. Then send an email to every dealer of that brand within 100 miles telling them exactly what you want, and what discounts you may qualify for such as military or student or repeat buyer. Ask the dealer to reply by email with the total final cost including any fees, taxes, registration etc. You then have an "out the door" final cost. Print out the email and take it to the closest dealer and ask if they are willing to match the lowest cost, or call and ask.

If they say "no" get up and leave. You may get chased into the parking lot when it is decided they will take the loss and have you as a happy customer.

As to selling your used car if that is in the plan, you'll get the most if you do it yourself but that is a nuisance. Next option is trade in when you buy the new car... if they don't make a profit on selling the new car, they will low-ball you on the trade to make the profit on that re-sale. A third option is to use the instant cash offer on kelly blue book, kbb.com Be completely honest with the condition of your car and you will get exactly what is offered. You can do this before going to your dealer to see how much less they are offering.

Or you can do it the easy way and use a dealer you like, trade your car there and pay their cost. It may mean a couple thousand dollars more but save all the time and trouble. YMMV
Old 08-08-2020, 08:41 AM

I have used Phillips on 442/27 in Fruitland Park. Good people, not high pressure. Ask for Fred.
Off lease only are wrecked cars fixed up...buyer beware. We went and checked, many have salvage titles.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:48 AM

Mullinax Ford. No dealer fee and no bs.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 AM

toyota. lots of choices and trouble free
Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 AM

I suggest you read the newspaper for ads. Lots of them.
That said, I bought a new Hyundai Elantra in late April and the deal was 72 month interest free. Good deal plus I like the car a lot. Jenkins Hyundai of Leesburg.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, local, car, buy, dealers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.