Jaguar Repair

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2023, 06:48 AM
Default Jaguar Repair

Can anyone recommend a local Jaguar repair shop or mechanic? One of my mirrors on my 2015 F-type will not extend from the folded position. The mirror still adjusts normally, but the housing is stuck closed.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2023, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Can anyone recommend a local Jaguar repair shop or mechanic? One of my mirrors on my 2015 F-type will not extend from the folded position. The mirror still adjusts normally, but the housing is stuck closed.
Thanks
I know this post probably isn't all that helpful, but ...

I remember reading about 6-8 months ago, about someone opening an independent Jaguar shop in Ocala.

It sounds like something simple. One of the guys on this site, will probably know how to fix it: XK / XKR ( X150 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Old 10-18-2023, 11:17 AM

Thank you
Old 10-18-2023, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
Sumter Tire is not specifically a Jaguar shop but they are a highly recommended classic car repairer. Their technicians are excellent.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

If these are the type that automatically retract when you park, I am GUESSING this mechanism has failed either mechanically or electronically. There is another shop Total Recon that I am considering for some work on my antique Mustang, you might try calling them. I Generally do my own repairs unless special equipment is required. Unfortunately I have no experience with this make of car, so i have no idea what to look for but I would double check fuses, and note there may be 2 fuse blocks.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If these are the type that automatically retract when you park, I am GUESSING this mechanism has failed either mechanically or electronically. There is another shop Total Recon that I am considering for some work on my antique Mustang, you might try calling them. I Generally do my own repairs unless special equipment is required. Unfortunately I have no experience with this make of car, so i have no idea what to look for but I would double check fuses, and note there may be 2 fuse blocks.
We saw a presentation from Total Recon where they stated that they only do cosmetic work.
Old 10-18-2023, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

Jaguar Ocala | Jaguar Dealer Serving Gainesville, FL
Old 10-18-2023, 03:25 PM

If you “Google” Jaguar Mirrors not folding, you’ll get a lot of hits.

You might find your help there before bringing it somewhere.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. I did check the fuse and it was good and always hot. It must be in the mechanical mechanism. Sounds like a costly repair.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:40 AM

ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE in Ocala (who has a foreign or Classic car) knows and swears by Executive Automobile Service on 38th Street. (the street that Sam's is on), further up.

It's very easy access, in West Ocala. They say, if you meet them, you'd never go anywhere else.
Good Luck
Old 10-19-2023, 06:52 AM

Sell it, fast!
Old 10-19-2023, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53r_aC6Duc

I went to google and typed in 2015 Jaguar F-type mirror won't fold. Got over 2 million hits.

Also, I have a button in my car that stops the mirrors from folding, if you do maybe you inadvertently hit the button.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:53 AM
Default The Jaguar Doctor

Quote:
Thanks
I use The Jaguar Doctor in Winter Park for all my medium to major Jaguar repairs. They have saved me tons of money over the years compared to any dealership. They are factory trained. Call Andy Atkinson at (407) 257-6145. Address is 2931 Forsyth Road, Suite 102 Winter Park FL 32792. It's a bit of a drive so I schedule for the first appointment of the morning (9-930) so that I can wait.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks
I'd use a little more force to move the mirror to the open position. The springs in these folding mirrors are quite strong and may be causing you to be too careful with your "baby".

Before doing anything, check your owner's manual. Are you certain that your mirrors close/open electrically or only adjust electrically.

If you're certain the mirrors do close/open electrically, it is unlikely that they require that this be done electrically. If they can be closed/opened electrically, it is nearly certain that they also can be closed/opened manually. This is done all the time at car washes--the first attendant simply pushes the mirror closed before the car goes into the wash and the person drying the car pulls it open.

This wasn't always so. My first car with mirrors that closed/opened electrically (not just adjust electrically) was a 90's Mercedes S Class. On the first trip to the local car wash, I closed the mirrors electrically. The girl drying the car then pulled them open, breaking both off their mounts. She tried to cover up her mistake by setting the mirrors back on the mounts. However, when I got in the car and closed the door, the driver's mirror fell off! The question everyone asked was, having broken off one mirror, why did she continue and break off the second.

The car wash was owned by a friend who was also a client. He took one look at the disaster and realized that he had just lost a week's profits. It cost him $1800 per mirror! From that time on, every employee was instructed, on pain of bodily harm, to not close/open any mirror on any car! The mechanic who replaced the mirrors marveled at the strength of the girl as he said the mirrors, like most things on a Mercedes, were built like a tank.

Obviously, this was a design defect. My next Mercedes, and every other brand of car I've since owned, allows you to close/open the mirrors manually without using the electric controls.

If you want to be ultra-cautious before pulling the mirror out, place a call to a Jaguar dealer and ask if it is safe to do so.

Last edited by lawgolfer; 10-19-2023 at 08:48 AM. Reason: to add comment about why the girl proceeded to break the second mirror after breaking the first
Old 10-19-2023, 09:02 PM

Thanks

Tags
jaguar, repair, folded, position, mirror

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.