Gary Carter - RIP

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
You think correctly on Gil Hodges. He was their opening day first baseman. Look at that first lineup and you will see a bunch of guys wrapping up their careers. Richie Ashburn, CF; Roger Craig was the starting pitcher. And, yes, Marvelous Marv Throneberry was emblematic of the futility of the NY Mets at that time.

Had a friend who was a rabid Mets fan from day one. Don't know why, but his favorite player was Elio Chacon.
I forgot about Roger Craig and his 20 game losing season. My favorite Throneberry story was about a pop up hit to the first base side. Marv yells I got it and starts running towards the pitcher mound. The ball landed untouched by the first base bag.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default 1986 Mets

The Bad Guys Won! A Season of Brawling, Boozing, Bimbo-chasing, and Championship Baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, The Kid, and the Rest of the 1986 Mets, the Rowdiest Team Ever to Put on a New York Uniform--and Maybe the Best [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Brawling-Bimbo-chasing-Championship-Baseball-Uniform/dp/B0009SRZCO/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1[/ame]

We rented an apartment in Tuscany a few years back, and this book was on the swap shelf. It was terrific. I blew through it in a night. Love the Mets.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The Bad Guys Won! A Season of Brawling, Boozing, Bimbo-chasing, and Championship Baseball with Straw, Doc, Mookie, Nails, The Kid, and the Rest of the 1986 Mets, the Rowdiest Team Ever to Put on a New York Uniform--and Maybe the Best http://www.amazon.com/Brawling-Bimbo...f=cm_lmf_tit_1

We rented an apartment in Tuscany a few years back, and this book was on the swap shelf. It was terrific. I blew through it in a night. Love the Mets.

The '86 Mets gave Buckner a full share. After all, He was their MVP.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I only enjoy going to Yankee games with my son. Since he is in Florida and I am in CT, we haven't had a chance to go to the new Yankee Stadium.

I wish they had upgraded Yankee stadium again. I like thinking of being in the same place as Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle and Berra inhabited.

My chance of going to the new Mets Stadium is greater as a friend of mine has wanted to go down. It was modeled after the old Ebbetts Field. I sure wish my older family members had taken me before they were torn down. Oh Well!!!

I heard on the radio this morning that Gary Carter was the heir apparent to Johnny Bench. Brain cancer is a tough thing to go through as my cousin was recently diagnosed. Gary put up a tough fight but obviously lost his battle. At least he is not in pain anymore.

RIP - Gary
I went to opening day at the Stadium last year. Forty Dollars for parking, over $100 per ticket, and we froze our butts off!!! But now that I live in Florida, I knew that my opportunities to go to the Stadium would be few. I have been to hundreds of games at the Stadium and I wanted to make sure I went to at least one in the new Stadium. The Stadium is beautiful and first class all the way. Maybe I'm getting cynical, but it seems like everything has gone "corporate" now. The prices are ridiculously expensive. Long gone are the days when you can cut school and go see a day game for a couple of dollars.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

My dad and I would decide on the spur of the moment to go to a Sunday doubleheader (remember those ?). You could walk up to the ticket booth on most any day and get very good seats, no advance purchase required. Not any more.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.