College basketball fans -question

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default College basketball fans -question

Are you as fed up as I am with the officiating in the college game? I have hated pro basketball for years for the same reason, it is ugly and the rules of basketball go unenforced. Jay Bilas stated this week what I have been saying for some time, that it is ruining the game. Traveling, carrying the ball, and lane violations might as well not exist. The ballhandler is going to get mugged, anyone who drives the lane will get mauled, and anyone trying to shoot in the lane will get assaulted, mostly without a foul being called. All this makes for a game that is more hockey than basketball and is virtually unwatchable. I played and coached the sport and I hate to see it turn into this. In my opinion the referees need to be commanded to call the game by the rules and the coaches need to be informed that if your teams continue to play this style they will end up with everyone on the bench having fouled out. End of rant!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM

I am a high school ref here in MA and typically the college guys are better than the NBA. I get the feeling that the confrenses are telling the refs to let certian things go in order to speed up the game or to make it more of an offensive game. Also, getting to that level is not how good you are any more, but it is who you know.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Gold member

From coaching many decades of basketball,They go from couple of years callling a tight game,then couple year stretches of no calls. I have to problem with that. Calling a game is not that easy.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM

but with a three man crew, they have a pretty good view of most things happening.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkev View Post
I am a high school ref here in MA and typically the college guys are better than the NBA. I get the feeling that the confrenses are telling the refs to let certian things go in order to speed up the game or to make it more of an offensive game. Also, getting to that level is not how good you are any more, but it is who you know.
The problem is it doers not make it more of an offensive game - scoring is down, because the defense gets by with so much that should be whistled.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
From coaching many decades of basketball,They go from couple of years callling a tight game,then couple year stretches of no calls. I have to problem with that. Calling a game is not that easy.
I too coached and I officiated some. It is not easy, but it is not that hard either. The rules are clear, just call the game according to the rules and be consistent.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Are you as fed up as I am with the officiating in the college game? I have hated pro basketball for years for the same reason, it is ugly and the rules of basketball go unenforced. Jay Bilas stated this week what I have been saying for some time, that it is ruining the game. Traveling, carrying the ball, and lane violations might as well not exist. The ballhandler is going to get mugged, anyone who drives the lane will get mauled, and anyone trying to shoot in the lane will get assaulted, mostly without a foul being called. All this makes for a game that is more hockey than basketball and is virtually unwatchable. I played and coached the sport and I hate to see it turn into this. In my opinion the referees need to be commanded to call the game by the rules and the coaches need to be informed that if your teams continue to play this style they will end up with everyone on the bench having fouled out. End of rant!
I couldn't agree more, Coach. The college game more and more resembles those that used to be seen only on playgrounds and between teams led by attention-starved AAU coaches. In the average game today, there are more hands on bodies than there are in massage parlors. Refs refuse to make calls late in games; bodies flop all over the court trying to draw charging fouls; defense players are allowed to guard opponents from inside the opponents jerseys rather than from the outside; big name coaches intimidate officials by black balling them from key games. Much of this trend is the result of the big money nature of college basketball. Maybe the game would regain much of its beauty if college basketball was again played by real students instead of want-to-be pros. The NBA should provide its own minor leagues. End of rant!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM

I agree, there is so much hand checking going on, the rule is pretty clear on that and its an easy call to make. Nobody calls three seconds anymore. Coaches are on the court, thats an automatic technical, there is a coaches box.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Default Coaches or players?

I feel the problem lies with the coaches being treated as more important than the players. We hear constantly the expression "he is working the officials", this implies a coach can get the officials to make calls in his team's favor, so he wants the officials to "cheat" the other team. I feel a lot of the blame for this is the announcers (i.e.) Dick Vitale, who have raised the coaches to such a high level the game is now more about the coach than the players who are actually playing the game. If the officials job depends on the evaluation of coaches of games they work as the main criteria for their assignments then the system needs to be examined so the officials can do their job without ranting coaches affecting the calls.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
I too coached and I officiated some. It is not easy, but it is not that hard either. The rules are clear, just call the game according to the rules and be consistent.

I hate it when the refs decide the outcome of a game with bad calls. One is allowed to make some mistakes but when they are happening too frquently, it takes away from the quality of the competition.

Let the platyers play and call the game right, so the best team that day wins.

I saw a play against the Knicks where a player was fouled and they let him have the continuation. This was after he took almost four steps before he shot. Where was the "walk" call?

I thought to myself he didn't walk, he took a taxi cab.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkev View Post
but with a three man crew, they have a pretty good view of most things happening.
The key words is,"most things happening"
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage

If they ever get concerned about getting a call right, they can always go to the monitors at courtside.

I'm not saying on every call, but possibly at critical times, when the outcome of the game could affected.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Sage

The rules of the game are quite clear - just call the game by the rules!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
The rules of the game are quite clear - just call the game by the rules!
It's not rocket science.

IMHO - I strongly dislike when the refs determine the outcome of a game by a bad call they refuse to look at.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.