Condition of greens around The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2023, 09:41 AM
Default Condition of greens around The Villages

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all. I played the Calusa course on Belle Glade Tuesday afternoon. This was the first day opened after being closed for 6 weeks for bunker renovation. The course is in good shape and the bunkers have all been completely renovated.

Here is the one gripe, and it is not against the course or the people that take care of it. After 6 weeks, there are still HUNDREDS of brown marks all over the green from ball marks that were not repaired by players. Please take a few seconds to fix your ball marks every time you play. If you didn’t make a mark, look for another mark that you can fix.

This video shows the proper way to fix a mark to ensure the quickest recovery.

https://youtu.be/myOTf1wuZoA?si=o4CYXN5AHfxY2Ugr
Old 11-23-2023, 12:08 PM

A page about fixing ball marks from the golf the villages website.

https://www.golfthevillages.com/what...ark-repair.pdf
Old 11-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parteeinga View Post
After 6 weeks, there are still HUNDREDS of brown marks all over the green from ball marks that were not repaired by players.
Hope you realize, even after a repair..............brown marks can happen.

Jus play a course after a PGA tournament................Ouch!!
Old 11-26-2023, 07:35 AM

Are you sure those brown marks aren't from weeds that had been sprayed with herbicide? Even the most ignored ball mark will repair within 6 weeks.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parteeinga View Post
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving to all. I played the Calusa course on Belle Glade Tuesday afternoon. This was the first day opened after being closed for 6 weeks for bunker renovation. The course is in good shape and the bunkers have all been completely renovated.

Here is the one gripe, and it is not against the course or the people that take care of it. After 6 weeks, there are still HUNDREDS of brown marks all over the green from ball marks that were not repaired by players. Please take a few seconds to fix your ball marks every time you play. If you didn’t make a mark, look for another mark that you can fix.

This video shows the proper way to fix a mark to ensure the quickest recovery.

https://youtu.be/myOTf1wuZoA?si=o4CYXN5AHfxY2Ugr

This seems to be a daily post on TOTV lately.

Ball marks are a problem on most every golf course in the world. Should they be "repaired"? Sort of. The method of repair makes all the difference and different grasses, react differently to varying methods of repair.

I'm not sure how "brown spots" affect anyone's putting. If greens were orange, would they putt any differently? As someone else pointed out, spotting and other issues on the greens, aren't necessarily the result of un-repaired ball marks.

The greens in TV are generally atrocious and blaming their condition on the golfers, is misplaced culpability. The maintenance of TV Championship courses is budget driven, not playability driven. Other than perhaps TDS, Glenview & sometimes Lopez (all of which function under a different Water Withdrawal Permit), the horticultural practices in TV are bush league.

The greens are soft, slow and weed infested ... that makes them cheaper to care for. When the greens are dormant, the TV solution is to invest in green paint.

It's not just a Villages' issue, I played Harbor Hills yesterday and the conditions were awful, despite their over-seeding. A very nice layout, maintained like a 1950's, WPA Muni 9 Holer.
Closed Thread

Tags
fix, mark, marks, ball, weeks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.