Course  conditions

Course conditions

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM
alwann's Avatar
alwann alwann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Village of Gilchrist
Posts: 414
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I don't know your definition of "senior." Perhaps you are more spry than most. Consider Palmer-Cherry Hill. Try walking that one. Arnie would have needed a ladder to climb out of some of those deep bunkers and skates to get around the meandering track. Try walking walking Mangrove with partners that are riding. They'll be finished by the time you get to hole 8 walking from 7. Try walking Escambia. Then again, don't try. It's like the designer forgot a 9th hole was needed and stuck it a quarter mile away from the 8th. My gripe was in regard to the routing of many (not all) courses. From the standpoint of playing the courses, tee to green, yes they are suitable for most seniors. Getting from hole to hole for walkers, however, is a different issue, especially in a community that promotes active fitness for seniors.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM
kcrazorbackfan's Avatar
kcrazorbackfan kcrazorbackfan is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 2,488
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtuWngs View Post
Does anybody know the reasoning for removing the 150 yard markers from Glenview's Tally Ho course. I have used those markers to estimate distance when beyond or within the posts. Now it will be necessary to search out the markers which will probably result in a slowdown in play. I sure hope The Villages do not remove these posts from other courses.
Don't know why they were taken down, but you have to be the only person in TV that doesn't have a golf gps or a range finder.
__________________
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 AM
collie1228 collie1228 is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Villa San Antonio; Formerly Syracuse, New York
Posts: 1,061
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't know your definition of "senior." Perhaps you are more spry than most. Consider Palmer-Cherry Hill. Try walking that one. Arnie would have needed a ladder to climb out of some of those deep bunkers and skates to get around the meandering track. Try walking walking Mangrove with partners that are riding. They'll be finished by the time you get to hole 8 walking from 7. Try walking Escambia. Then again, don't try. It's like the designer forgot a 9th hole was needed and stuck it a quarter mile away from the 8th. My gripe was in regard to the routing of many (not all) courses. From the standpoint of playing the courses, tee to green, yes they are suitable for most seniors. Getting from hole to hole for walkers, however, is a different issue, especially in a community that promotes active fitness for seniors.
I totally agree with your Palmer comments. The design of Palmer Legends is really choppy, and would be very difficult for a walker. Apparently they designed the housing developments before the golf courses, and had to fit them in. It's the worst championship course in The Villages.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)
Posts: 778
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't know your definition of "senior." Perhaps you are more spry than most. Consider Palmer-Cherry Hill. Try walking that one. Arnie would have needed a ladder to climb out of some of those deep bunkers and skates to get around the meandering track. Try walking walking Mangrove with partners that are riding. They'll be finished by the time you get to hole 8 walking from 7. Try walking Escambia. Then again, don't try. It's like the designer forgot a 9th hole was needed and stuck it a quarter mile away from the 8th. My gripe was in regard to the routing of many (not all) courses. From the standpoint of playing the courses, tee to green, yes they are suitable for most seniors. Getting from hole to hole for walkers, however, is a different issue, especially in a community that promotes active fitness for seniors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I totally agree with your Palmer comments. The design of Palmer Legends is really choppy, and would be very difficult for a walker. Apparently they designed the housing developments before the golf courses, and had to fit them in. It's the worst championship course in The Villages.
Let's not forget the primary purpose for the land that the courses sit on - storm water control. The design for this had to come first, and it had to be right. So yes, the courses were basically fit in. Also, this is not a community designed around a top quality golf course. There are communities like that. Or courses are good when the condition is good. That's what they are.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,326
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Don't know why they were taken down, but you have to be the only person in TV that doesn't have a golf gps or a range finder.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 AM
collie1228 collie1228 is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Villa San Antonio; Formerly Syracuse, New York
Posts: 1,061
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Let's not forget the primary purpose for the land that the courses sit on - storm water control. The design for this had to come first, and it had to be right. So yes, the courses were basically fit in. Also, this is not a community designed around a top quality golf course. There are communities like that. Or courses are good when the condition is good. That's what they are.
I'm sure you are correct that storm water control is a major consideration, but I don't agree that storm water is the primary purpose. Golf is big money for the developer, and in my opinion, money is primary.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 8,935
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

While not totally foolproof (as noted by the recent change in the handicap holes on Palmer's Riley Grove), one can compare Village's courses to others...by simply looking at the 'course/slope rating' from each set of tees.

In general, the courses here are much easier (from comparable tees)...than courses outside the bubble.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 AM
John_W's Avatar
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,056
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I played Palmer (Laurel Valley to Riley Grove) yesterday and it was really nice. There was 4 holes that were rough only because of the all the rain. They have let the rough grow in, like a real golf course but not to the extent where your ball will sink down. I was only in 2 bunkers, both fairway bunkers and had no problem getting out.

I bought this Golf GPS last summer at Jim's Golf Shop for $129. It's on you wrist, you never have to look for it, and it right with you no matter where you go and has all the golf courses. BTW, the blue tees in TV is the same as the white tees everywhere outside TV. So if you're playing the whites here, you getting a great deal.

The Villages Florida
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,884
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I'm sure you are correct that storm water control is a major consideration, but I don't agree that storm water is the primary purpose...

Major yes. Primary no.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-14-2019, 08:53 AM
ohiosbestus ohiosbestus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 92
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What I have found out about the bunkers is I used to use a sand wedge to come out, but I have currently switched to a 64 degree wedge now with much better results.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
can’t, hit, rate, find, ball

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.