Evans Praire

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2022, 07:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,199 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
It's 3/21and we're reading about conditions that are 2-3 weeks old. Why can't there be more recent posts, like yesterday. A great deal can happen with grass in 2-3 weeks, and even flooding.
Here you go:

I played Glenview yesterday morning. By far the best conditioned golf course at The Villages. If August National is a "10", Glenview is a 7.5. Not the same conditions you'd find at a first class private club, but very good. The difference between an "A List" golf course and something like Glenview, are the areas that are difficult to maintain, particular green collars, are lacking. All in all, the course was very good and I've always though Glenview has the best management of any of the Championship courses.

I played Mallory last night. Condition was not as good as Glenview, but passable. I'd give it a "6.5". It's a much easier course than Glenview, despite the fact it looks difficult. The hazards & bunkers look good, but I think they're more aesthetic than golf course elements. The greens putted well, but not as much grass or as "true" as Glenview.

I played Palmer tonight. The greens are embarrassing. They desperately need to be Top Dressed and Rolled, IMO. The ball marks and "old hole cuts" make it look like a $10 Muni course. The fairways aren't much better. Riley was in significant better condition than Cherry. I think part of that relates to Riley having less managed turf than the other (2) 9's. I'd give Palmer a 5-5.5. The more I think about it, I should have said the greens are "atrocious". They are. They don't putt true, they look awful and they were probably running 7-7.5 on a Stimp .... sloooooow.

A little further back, I played Tierra del sol last Thursday. I think it's the best layout in The Villages. Condition was comparable to Palmer, in my opinion. The greens didn't have a lot of grass (probably some paint, too), but they putted well and looked better than Palmer's greens.

Just curious, but I've played about 40 rounds in The Villages in the last 2 months and other than an occasional "mower", I have never once, seen a golf course maintenance person on a golf course. I don't understand how that's possible. Some things simply can't be done right in darkness. The courses aren't closed a day per week for maintenance and Tee Times start at daybreak and there's still play until dark. I don't get it? No wonder the courses look like they do.
Closed Thread

Tags
evans, praire, played, yesterday, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.