Glenview

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2022, 12:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts
Default Glenview

Played this morning...........

Sandy greens, give them a coupe weeks before playing.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Played this morning...........

Sandy greens, give them a coupe weeks before playing.
If applied correctly it should be gone in a few days. At my home course after sanding we go over it with a brush, then mow and roll. Gives a great surface to putt on. FYI I work on a grounds crew in the summertime, meaning I know just enough to be dangerous.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:42 PM

We had a group of 20+…that’s a lot of unhappy golfers. Understanding that course maintenance is absolutely necessary, i think that The Villages should earmark the courses that are being sanded when you put in reservation requests, and that there should be something less than full price charged on these days. We’re all priority members and paying $50+ for these conditions is way out of line.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,039 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokomo View Post
We had a group of 20+…that’s a lot of unhappy golfers. Understanding that course maintenance is absolutely necessary, i think that The Villages should earmark the courses that are being sanded when you put in reservation requests, and that there should be something less than full price charged on these days. We’re all priority members and paying $50+ for these conditions is way out of line.
I've seen Aeration Schedules posted at every golf course in The Villages.

If they just did a maintenance aerification with small tines, the Greens should be playable within hours and nearly completely healed in a few days (of course, a little rain would help, too).

A lot of courses do this every month. It's non-invasive and necessary in a lot of situations.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:18 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokomo View Post
They post maint schedules.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

we played glenview thur.. even with slightly sandy greens still in better shape than palmer and other courses to the south
Old 04-17-2022, 06:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
we played glenview thur.. even with slightly sandy greens still in better shape than palmer and other courses to the south
In my opinion, Glenview's conditioning is vastly superior to any course on campus.

Played Lopez on Friday, for the 3rd time. I fail to understand all the love this course gets. Conditions were OK, but certainly no comparison to Glenview or even Cane Garden. The layout is definitely lacking in my opinion. Reminds me of Southern Oaks. Airport, with "Flags".

I also played Orange Blossom for the first time, on Saturday. To call this a "Championship" course, is an exaggeration of gargantuan proportions. I played the Gold Tees and on more than one hole, I was 2 steps from someone's patio or lanai. Call me spoiled if you wish, but I don't think "Country Club" is a proper moniker for that golf course.

Apparently management has neglected to realize, that trees grow throughout their lifetime and if in the middle of a fairway, sometimes need to be trimmed or removed.

Does OB have newer greens? Plenty of grass on them, sort of like putting on Velcro.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

We played Fox Run to Stirrup Cup this morning. Greens were fabulous as was the rest of the course .

No sand on the greens anywhere to be seen .

Can’t speak for Tally Ho
Old 04-17-2022, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
We played Fox Run to Stirrup Cup this morning. Greens were fabulous as was the rest of the course .

No sand on the greens anywhere to be seen .

Can’t speak for Tally Ho
I played Tally Ho to Fox Run. Best Greens on campus, by a wide margin.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I played Tally Ho to Fox Run. Best Greens on campus, by a wide margin.

So you had a good putting day!
Old 04-18-2022, 05:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
So you had a good putting day!
Actually, not. 3 Putt Par on a Par 5 and bogey'd the last 2, for 78.

Trust me, I'd blame the Greens if I could .... it was user error!
Old 04-18-2022, 09:15 AM

Aeration schedule doesn't show any starting until June, We played on Weds and it was not good. Some sanded some not and large strips of sand that slowed the gold ball when putting. No consistency.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Actually, not. 3 Putt Par on a Par 5 and bogey'd the last 2, for 78.

Trust me, I'd blame the Greens if I could .... it was user error!
With a score like that, I would think about turning professional.
Far and distant memory for me scores like that!
We stick to Execs now.
(I'm that slow old curmudgeon in front of all the holdups!)
Old 04-18-2022, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
With a score like that, I would think about turning professional.
Far and distant memory for me scores like that!
We stick to Execs now.
(I'm that slow old curmudgeon in front of all the holdups!)
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question ...

I played a Championship Course today and was paired with 2 great guys. One was probably mid 70's & the other, likely upper 70's.

They played the Green Tees. The younger of the 2, made 1 Par today. The other fellow averaged about 2 over par on every hole. HIs average drive was about 150 yards.

I'm not suggesting they don't have a perfect right to play any course they want, they paid their money & golf is for everyone. My question is more "practical". Why spend $50 to play a Championship course, when it seems an Executive course would be way more fun, given the state of their golf game. I've never played an Executive course, so I don't really have a frame of reference and I'm curious.

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate my playing partners golf game or any such thing. I'm just wondering. If it was me, I think I'd save the $50!
Old 04-18-2022, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question ...

I played a Championship Course today and was paired with 2 great guys. One was probably mid 70's & the other, likely upper 70's.

They played the Green Tees. The younger of the 2, made 1 Par today. The other fellow averaged about 2 over par on every hole. HIs average drive was about 150 yards.

I'm not suggesting they don't have a perfect right to play any course they want, they paid their money & golf is for everyone. My question is more "practical". Why spend $50 to play a Championship course, when it seems an Executive course would be way more fun, given the state of their golf game. I've never played an Executive course, so I don't really have a frame of reference and I'm curious.

Again, I'm not trying to denigrate my playing partners golf game or any such thing. I'm just wondering. If it was me, I think I'd save the $50!
They could afford the $50 and they enjoyed themselves. Unless they completely gummed up the course, causing a major back-up, why worry about it?

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
glenview, played, morning, sandy, greens

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.