Glenview

Old 03-01-2024, 09:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

[QUOTE=Rich Iwaszko;2306525]Played Black Diamond yesterday.........greens had to be close to
11-12...........Amazing to see the weather temp changes improving the course conditions........dah........let the grass grow and amazing things happen............as it gets warmer the naysayers will move to dog poop discussions......

You must have played the Quarry course, if they were running that fast? Great track. In my experience, BD typically runs 10.5+, but they can certainly get it up over 12 if they want.

Was the course busy? Typically they don't seem to get a lot of play.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:58 AM

The greens in TV will NEVER roll at 12. You evidently dont know what putting on greens that fast is like. Thats PGA speed and if they ever did that here our 41/2 hour rounds would become 51/2 hours. The pin placements they are forced to use with this front middle back format wouldn't work on a lot of the greens. My CC home in Pa. has been a US OPEN qualifier 4 times the last 12 years and stimping our course at around 11 makes it a real tough test after those qualifiers are done with their rounds.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:33 AM
Default BD

Not busy......went off at 12:30, no one behind for 2 hours, was told they have stay and play packages and are less busy in summer. Quarry is amazing. Great bunkers, sand and shape, great greens, nice layout, quarry holes are scary good.

[QUOTE=BrianL99;2306552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Played Black Diamond yesterday.........greens had to be close to
11-12...........Amazing to see the weather temp changes improving the course conditions........dah........let the grass grow and amazing things happen............as it gets warmer the naysayers will move to dog poop discussions......

You must have played the Quarry course, if they were running that fast? Great track. In my experience, BD typically runs 10.5+, but they can certainly get it up over 12 if they want.

Was the course busy? Typically they don't seem to get a lot of play.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:13 PM

STIMPMETER was invented by a Mr. Stimpson from the Woods Hole Golf Club on Cape Cod. His cousin Peter also invented a meter that is well used today. lol
Old 03-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGApromike View Post
Respectfully, Unless playing a tour course the day before or after an event, not likely to have ever played any course that stimps at 12. Some private high end clubs run these speeds, but not many public courses(maybe Pebble, Beth Page Black for example)will. I have been involved in measuring green speeds(30+ year PGA Member). It is quite a process and 10.5 is very quick. I would venture a guess that the TV greens run between 8.5 to possibly a 10. Fastest greens i have played locally isn't a Villages course, It's Continental CC. Very fast, smooth and not a bad spot on them. Again my post is respectful and not calling anyone out.
Sarcasm Sheldon, sarcasm.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:12 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Rich Iwaszko;2306581]Not busy......went off at 12:30, no one behind for 2 hours, was told they have stay and play packages and are less busy in summer. Quarry is amazing. Great bunkers, sand and shape, great greens, nice layout, quarry holes are scary good.

There's no one around there in the summer.

Try the Ranch Course next time, if the renovation is complete. It's no slouch either. It obviously doesn't have the cool quarry holes, but it's a very nice layout, also by Tom Fazio.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
STIMPMETER was invented by a Mr. Stimpson from the Woods Hole Golf Club on Cape Cod. His cousin Peter also invented a meter that is well used today. lol
I think the Stimpmeter is on it's way out. With the highly contoured greens these days, it's had to find a "flat area" to even use one ... but it is cheap.

I doubt the Petermeter is in any danger of being replaced, anytime soon. That's tried and trued.

What the Tech? Measuring green speed - GCMOnline.com

Tags
greens, glenview, lookn, rolling, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.