Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Here is my solution

Break the Villages into 4 golf areas
  1. North of 466
  2. 466 to 466A
  3. 466A to 44
  4. South of 44

Hire a real Golf Course Superintendent and an Assistant for each of the 4 areas. This would be a very attractive job.
It would add $2 million to the payroll, you would make it back by not having to close courses mid seasons, and rounds would increase on championships.

Those 2 have ownership of the conditions.
They can outsource the maintenance, BUT they outsources do what the Superintendent says

The contract is very clear, and can be terminated with very specific conditions.
If you think a superintendent and an assistant could handle all the golf courses in one of your designated areas, you're under-estimating a superintendent's proper role.

The Club I worked for, had 45 holes. 36 first class private golf course holes and 9 holes of public golf. We had a general super who was getting paid over $200,000/year. Each of the courses had their own superintendent who was paid north of $100,000. Each had an assistant & 2 other full-time employees, plus 15-20 seasonal employees. So we had over 40 employees during the season.

We had 2 golf courses on the same property (the public 9, across the street). Maintenance and cultivation practices between the 2 courses, was completely different. Different soils, different kinds of grass, different weather conditions, different needs.

Being a superintendent is a micro-management position. Every course is different, there's no "one size fits all" ... even for different holes on the same golf course.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
If you think a superintendent and an assistant could handle all the golf courses in one of your designated areas, you're under-estimating a superintendent's proper role.

The Club I worked for, had 45 holes. 36 first class private golf course holes and 9 holes of public golf. We had a general super who was getting paid over $200,000/year. Each of the courses had their own superintendent who was paid north of $100,000. Each had an assistant & 2 other full-time employees, plus 15-20 seasonal employees. So we had over 40 employees during the season.

We had 2 golf courses on the same property (the public 9, across the street). Maintenance and cultivation practices between the 2 courses, was completely different. Different soils, different kinds of grass, different weather conditions, different needs.

Being a superintendent is a micro-management position. Every course is different, there's no "one size fits all" ... even for different holes on the same golf course.
I agree, I’m thinking there’s a Villages overseer of each section, each course would have someone overseeing each course, but within the outsourcing firm.

It has to be better than one person overseeing everything.

Tags
greens, golf, grow, green, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.