Havana CC, a new standard in bad greens

Old 02-25-2024, 07:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Farm Neck in Oak Bluffs? Love that course.
No.

Farm Neck is a great course to play. I've played it 100's of times.

Edgartown Golf Club is pretty great too, although it's really only a 14 hole golf course and private.

Vineyard Golf Club is the newer, more private course, that had a permit that required it be 100% Organic. Didn't work.

Farm Neck was Bill Clinton's favorite golf course, until he and some of his friends (Owen Larkin & others), came up with a scam to build Vineyard Golf Club, so they had their own course to play on. Gil Hanse renovated the club about 8-10 years ago and I understand it's now a decent course. Golf Magazine voted it Best New Course in the US, back in 2015. The original design was uninspiring.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FarmNeck_2010_33.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	103016  

Last edited by BrianL99; 02-25-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:23 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
You could have heard that from your barber, just as factual as 2 TV employees
To my knowledge, my barber has never lied to me.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:04 AM

Go to Harbor shills - less money and Great conditions!!
Old 02-25-2024, 08:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
That's a huge turn-around.............the conditions have been poor for years.

Patchy greens, dirt/mud cart paths, sandless sand-traps & a crabby guy behind the counter in the pro shop.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:25 AM
Gold member

Been here for 10 years on this site for 7 of them. Have never seen more complaining about conditions on the golf courses. Where is Ricky Craig when we need him although we did meet with him a few years ago to express our displeasure with Havana and all he did was lie to us. Havana still is awful and he has done nothing to make improvements.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:02 AM

To all you newbie Villagers: After you're here a short while you'll learn which championship courses to avoid in the winter and again in the summer. Havana, for example, has ALWAYS had issues in the middle/late winter months. Lopez, for example, has rough that eats your ball up in the late summer. Glenview, for example, is usually always in good condition. Palmer, for example, Cherry Hill gets bad, Riley and Laurel usually stay OK. There are different soils at different courses around TV and they affect the course conditions dramatically. Remember it's winter...you cannot expect summer conditions in the winter. Just learn what to avoid when and you'll be fine.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
That's a huge turn-around.............the conditions have been poor for years.

Patchy greens, dirt/mud cart paths, sandless sand-traps & a crabby guy behind the counter in the pro shop.

After hearing so much about Harbor Hills, I went and played it 2 weeks ago.

There are 2 or 3 courses on campus, in significantly better condition than Harbor Hills was in, when I played it. It is a little more interesting golf course, than some of the on campus courses.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:30 AM

All this talk about winter conditions....The Daily Sun just had an article about this winter having more rain than usual so lack of water should not be an issue and, as far as I know, we have not had a single frost this winter. My conclusion is: lack of spending necessary money by TV to make conditions better and incompetence on the staff of maintenance.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:36 AM
Gold member

It continues to amaze me how some people will make excuses for poor conditions on some of these courses. Too hot ,too cold, no rain, too much rain and on and on. Your right grass does not grow in the winter then why are the mowers out. It can rain all day yet the next morning the sprinklers are on. Could it be that the Villages hires the lowest bid and gets people that have no idea what they are doing. Just look at Palmer, the greens are just 3 years old and they have just about killed them because of over watering. Inept plus no real supervision by the powers above leads to these conditions
Old 02-25-2024, 11:30 AM

Along with explosive growth comes the need for an equal amount of on-going maintenance, which apparently has not been planned and budgeted for.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Played Kilimanjaro to Kenya today. The practice green was an atrocious mess, but the real greens were even worse.

The first green on Kilimanjaro actually had so much sand on it you could see the tire tread marks from the utility cart in it.

I'm generally an apologist for the conditions of the courses here in TV, based upon what I think is a decent product for the price, but this course shouldn't even be open. Or, at the very least, if they are going to charge greens fees to play it, it should be discounted 50%.

I would bet money that they don't have Lifestyle Visit guests scheduled on it. No way the developer would want any prospective buyers seeing that mess.

It continues to perplex me beyond imagination how that place always has terrible greens, in the same climate and growing conditions that other courses in TV have. They are always the worst of the Championship courses, but the current condition is off the charts bad.
Calling out golf courses “championship” instead of “regulation courses” is almost as ridiculous as The Villages calling itself Americas Healthiest Hometown
Old 02-25-2024, 06:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
Calling out golf courses “championship” instead of “regulation courses” is almost as ridiculous as The Villages calling itself Americas Healthiest Hometown
Come on, The Villages has figured out a way to get everyone in town, to call their original trailer park, the "Historic District".

They're masters of over-statement and marketing slogans.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
To my knowledge, my barber has never lied to me.
I'm sure he tells you your haircut makes you look better...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-25-2024, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
With all the physical activities available in the Villages it actually is Americas Healthiest Hometown, right up to the point when you need good quality healthcare.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
....or "Florida's Friendliest Hometown". (Just read Villages_News.com)

Tags
greens, courses, conditions, mess, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.