Havana Golf Course

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2021, 08:16 AM
Default Greens fees to high

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am generally happy with the conditions of the Championship courses, but for some reason Havana seems to get more complaints than any other Villages course. What’s up with that?
Greens fees are to high, no matter what the conditions are. I’ve played courses that were on the top 10 in a state for only a few dollars more......just sad
Old 01-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
A dump....do not play Kenya at all. As bad as it gets. Take Havana off your lists to play; $47 is a joke and a ripoff. It should be closed.
Think about paying $65?
Old 01-31-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

OP, thanks for the info. One to avoid...
Old 01-31-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssouan View Post
Yesterday our group played Havana. It was very sad to see the conditions of the greens and tee boxes. To make matters worse, the greens were not cleared of the heavy dew prior to play starting. We all realize that we are in peak season. However, basic blocking and tackling needs to be maintained.
Same story every winter at Village Championship golf courses. Very expensive and poor playing conditions. These courses are not maintained by professional greens keepers. The greens are never rolled and rarely cut short. One ambassador once told me TV is the only place where you get tighter lies from the rough than you do from the fairways. Essentially you are playing off dirt not grass. In the winter if you want decent playing conditions you have to travel outside The Villages and it will cost you less to.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:58 AM
Gold member

The championship courses further north are in really good condition right now. Why would Havana be so bad and, for instance, Lopez be so much better? Aren't they maintained by the same company? The greens on Lopez are lightening fast, but they roll beautifully with very few bumps. Orange Blossom on Friday had decent greens, with plenty of grass on fairways too, but the greens weren't nearly as fast as Lopez. But enjoyable to play.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
The championship courses further north are in really good condition right now. Why would Havana be so bad and, for instance, Lopez be so much better? Aren't they maintained by the same company? ...
Let this be a lesson for those moving here that anticipate playing championship courses. I don't live in the north end, but sometimes I wish I did, my play area is from Palmer to Belle Glade and occasionally Glenview, almost never Lopez or Hacienda Hills. When my foursome gets their request turned down, "computer cannot accommodate your request", and I go online looking for an open time I'll always see good times still available at those two courses.

Also when I do play Lopez about once a year, it's pine trees, not palms and the grass is dry and it's like playing in Pensacola. For our southern courses, I've got to keep a brush in my bag to get the mud out of my spikes and the cart's floor is always muddy, the ground always has a dampness to it and when you hit the ball you're getting mud on the club face or it's on the ball just sitting in the fairway.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
Greens fees are to high, no matter what the conditions are. I’ve played courses that were on the top 10 in a state for only a few dollars more......just sad
"no matter what the conditions" wow......the beautiful things is you don't have to play in TV.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssouan View Post
Yesterday our group played Havana. It was very sad to see the conditions of the greens and tee boxes. To make matters worse, the greens were not cleared of the heavy dew prior to play starting. We all realize that we are in peak season. However, basic blocking and tackling needs to be maintained.
It is sad that they have allowed Havana to get to such a poor condition. The courses up North especially Lopez, Glenview, and TDS are significantly better than any others. They are the courses that have had new greens installed as well as sand in the traps that is actually designed for golf.
Barring TV truly resurfacing every green as they committed to do, if they would go back to over seeding the courses they would be in significantly better shape through the winter. I doubt any avid golfer believes the story that the rye grass is disruptive to the Bermuda when the weather turns warm again. If that is the case why does EVERY good course in Central and South Florida over-seed?
When Bay Hill and Black Diamond stop over seeding, we should then follow their lead.
I suspect it will cost much more to restore Havana to playable conditions than it would have cost to not let it get this bad.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:17 PM
Default A Real Cow Pasture!

Having played golf for 50+ years, I have played on some
horrible courses. Today, I played Havana (Kenya), and it surpasses them all. The Course Superintendent should be fired for letting the greens and tee boxes go to hell!
Old 01-31-2021, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Is it possible there are “other plans” for Havana - so they are not investing in it?
Old 01-31-2021, 01:20 PM

Let's say I own golf course. Got a captive audience. Wall to Wall tee times in season. Should I spend 40,000 to plant winter rye?
Naaahhh. I can always grow grass, but not money.
Only a boycott revolution would work......not going to happen.
Play on.....nice layout.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:12 PM

We played it last week and the course is in terrible shape. We have sworn off playing it again this winter.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:39 PM

Our group played Havana today. It is pathetic
Old 01-31-2021, 05:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"no matter what the conditions" wow......the beautiful things is you don't have to play in TV.
And I don't, leaves more time for other peoples
Old 01-31-2021, 10:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Must be winter and high use season because this comes up every year. In addition to additional play, remember in the winter, just like your lawn, the grass goes dormant and does not grow much. Can be hard to maintain grass if it is not growing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.