Palmer

Old 12-26-2023, 05:32 PM
Default Palmer

Palmer sucks right now. Greens in the worst condition. Used to rely on this course to provide an enjoyable round, but not today and certainly not in the near future. What happened?!
Old 12-26-2023, 09:18 PM

It’s called maintenance… sanded greens and fairways. All was worked in, rolled and smooth. Our group of 24 played it twice last week and had no real complaints. I can just imagine conditions if this maintenance didn’t take place.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
Palmer sucks right now. Greens in the worst condition. Used to rely on this course to provide an enjoyable round, but not today and certainly not in the near future. What happened?!
Perhaps the “FREE CHRISTMAS DAY GOLF” I’m sure more than half the partakers Monday were not golfers (who know how to fill divots, repair ball marks, rake traps, and keep club carts off the green). I played there last week and it was dusted (for maintenance) so they can keep it in playing condition all year. If you think dusting is “crap”, you need stay home and watch PGA golf on TV.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
It’s called maintenance… sanded greens and fairways. All was worked in, rolled and smooth. Our group of 24 played it twice last week and had no real complaints. I can just imagine conditions if this maintenance didn’t take place.
Lots of bare spots on the greens (Riley > Cherry). Also greens not rolling smooth at all. Been playing Palmer for 3 years now (Riley always a favorite) and never seen it like this. One fairway on Cherry had tire tracks of dead grass as if some kind of chemical had been spilled from a maintenance vehicle. I checked for a maintenance schedule online and can only find one for aerification. I’ll definitely wait awhile before playing there again.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
Perhaps the “FREE CHRISTMAS DAY GOLF” I’m sure more than half the partakers Monday were not golfers (who know how to fill divots, repair ball marks, rake traps, and keep club carts off the green). I played there last week and it was dusted (for maintenance) so they can keep it in playing condition all year. If you think dusting is “crap”, you need stay home and watch PGA golf on TV.
I'm curious myself how many partook of that freebie. The weather was cool and wet. I didn't see that many out but I live next to El Diablo and El Santiago and the holes visible by the road, the bunkers and greens had tire marks as well as ruts along the cart path.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I'm curious myself how many partook of that freebie. The weather was cool and wet. I didn't see that many out but I live next to El Diablo and El Santiago and the holes visible by the road, the bunkers and greens had tire marks as well as ruts along the cart path.
We played Hacienda in the afternoon and did not wait at all to get on. As an aside greens there were in great shape. Not as good as Glenview though
Old 12-27-2023, 10:29 AM

Agreed....Played there yesterday....we all were disappointed in the greens. Won't be going back until I hear conditions improved.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
We took advantage of the free golf on Christmas day and yes - we often golf other days.

I told my wife some ******* will complain about the course(s) next week due to the use by the impure. Bingo.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 12-28-2023, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

Played Orange Blossom yesterday, Dec. 27th, and greens and fairways were in perfect shape. Can’t complain about bunkers because by the afternoon people haven’t raked them enough to be perfect. Cheapest golf course and always in good shape.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
This is why they sand greens.

Why golf courses put sand on greens (and why you could sand your yard)
Old 12-28-2023, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
We took advantage of the free golf on Christmas day and yes - we often golf other days.

I told my wife some ******* will complain about the course(s) next week due to the use by the impure. Bingo.
Actually, the play was pretty light compared to previous years on Evans. And among those that chose to play, there appeared to be less "beginners". There were some kids out, but not many. Of course, as usual, and not just on Christmas Day, a large percentage of those that I saw come by did not rake traps or fill divots. But overall, I'd say the annual "Christmas Carnage" was less than 25% of previous years.

PS: Yes, in previous years the course ARE in bad shape for a week or so after Christmas. Sorry to be the ****** that tells the truth
Old 12-28-2023, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Golf course conditions in The Villages tend to be very inconsistent. Thanks for the heads up about Palmer.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Golf course conditions in The Villages tend to be very inconsistent. Thanks for the heads up about Palmer.
The regulars on TOTV will remember that I posted that I played Laurel Valley the first morning it opened, and I gave it 3 weeks before it looked like the rest of our courses. Much to my chagrin, I was correct. Taking care of the course is EVERYONE'S responsibility.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:21 AM

Christmas free golf had nothing to do with the present conditions of Palmer. The bare spots on the greens don't happen that quickly. Glenview, Lopez etc don't have that situation.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, the play was pretty light compared to previous years on Evans. And among those that chose to play, there appeared to be less "beginners". There were some kids out, but not many. Of course, as usual, and not just on Christmas Day, a large percentage of those that I saw come by did not rake traps or fill divots. But overall, I'd say the annual "Christmas Carnage" was less than 25% of previous years.

PS: Yes, in previous years the course ARE in bad shape for a week or so after Christmas. Sorry to be the ****** that tells the truth
Last year I was so excited to finally be at my home to play on Christmas Day. Temp was in 30s and Havana was wide open. Only played 5 holes because my balls got frozen. Looking forward to joining the crowd next Christmas. Happy New Year!

Tags
palmer, future, today, round, enjoyable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.