Palmer

Old 12-29-2023, 09:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Sounds like TV is going down hill, what gives with golf courses?
It’s called maintenance - the greens and fairways were sanded and rolled. But that doesnt fit the complainer’s agenda.
OP didn’t mention the maintenance aspect.

When friends used to ask about The Villages, I used to send them here - I don’t anymore, it’s not a representation of life in the villages.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Likely confusing Palmer for Belmont.
Really? That's like confusing golf with pickleball
Old 01-28-2024, 11:18 AM
Default Palmer Conditions

I agree - we were there yesterday - horrible greens, weeds, bare tee boxes. The SLOW group in front of us parked in front of the green (not handicapped) and our first nine round was 2:45 - never saw the ambassador.
Old 01-29-2024, 05:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Given that Riley's Greens are barely a year old, I suspect they're diseased. There's hardly any grass on most of them and considering the new strain of Bermuda they used, I don't believe the cooler weather would cause the current, abysmal conditions.

Laurel Valley Greens are embarrassingly bad, for Greens that are less than 3 months old. In my opinion, the renovation work that was done on Laurel Valley, was woefully sub-par.

I don't play Cherry Hill, so I don't have a clue about conditions over there. It's not much of a golf course to begin with.

Tierra del sol and Lopez have significantly better greens. I think that's attributable to a different maintenance team up there. Normally, I'd suggest it has to do with the different water management permit they function under, but I don't think that's the issue this year ... ponds seem to be full, everywhere.

Last edited by BrianL99; 01-29-2024 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:02 PM
Thumbs down

Played Palmer in the past week, the greens were an embarrassment to the game of golf. I'm sure Arnold would not be very happy with these conditions.
The Village Championship is scheduled for next month. One can only hope that the tournament is moved to another course with decent greens.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcop View Post
Played Palmer in the past week, the greens were an embarrassment to the game of golf. I'm sure Arnold would not be very happy with these conditions.
The Village Championship is scheduled for next month. One can only hope that the tournament is moved to another course with decent greens.
The Greens are awful at Palmer.

I was told last week, that large percentage of the maintenance crews have been re-deployed to the South to work on new course construction. Even Glenview's Greens have deteriorated over the last week or two.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The Greens are awful at Palmer.

I was told last week, that large percentage of the maintenance crews have been re-deployed to the South to work on new course construction. Even Glenview's Greens have deteriorated over the last week or two.
Not disputing the fact you were told that but I don’t believe it is true that they were redeployed. The company that is building the courses have their own maintenance crews.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
Not disputing the fact you were told that but I don’t believe it is true that they were redeployed. The company that is building the courses have their own maintenance crews.
That's what I would have thought, too.

I was told by someone who worked at Glenview, that the contractor who was formerly responsible for Glenview (& TDS) maintenance, was "moved down south to help with construction of the new courses" and the contractor who handles Palmer, added Glenview (& a couple of others) to their portfolio.

Admittedly, I surely don't know the true facts. When it comes to golf course maintenance and management, I've always found the "facts" to be elusive, at best.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
That's what I would have thought, too.

I was told by someone who worked at Glenview, that the contractor who was formerly responsible for Glenview (& TDS) maintenance, was "moved down south to help with construction of the new courses" and the contractor who handles Palmer, added Glenview (& a couple of others) to their portfolio.

Admittedly, I surely don't know the true facts. When it comes to golf course maintenance and management, I've always found the "facts" to be elusive, at best.
Hmmmm, sounds strange but anything’s possible I guess.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:07 PM
Gold member

Riley Grove greens nearly brand new. They are terrible, almost mud very little grass. Didn't take them long to mess them up. Incompetent, cheap, ignorant, that's what we get.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
Riley Grove greens nearly brand new. They are terrible, almost mud very little grass. Didn't take them long to mess them up. Incompetent, cheap, ignorant, that's what we get.
Laurel is almost as bad and they're only 3 months old.

Tags
palmer, future, today, round, enjoyable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.