Palmer Cherry Hill

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 09:51 AM

It just boggles my mind why they find the need to cut the grass in the fairways so low. Let it grow a bit and spend less money mowing them so a flop shot over a bunker to a tight pin is actually possible. Take the money saved and invest in some education on how to manage turf. I realize it is difficult to maintain a golf course, but others do it quite well. Dirt patches everywhere on a bermuda course. Really?
Old 05-10-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBrew View Post
It just boggles my mind why they find the need to cut the grass in the fairways so low. Let it grow a bit and spend less money mowing them so a flop shot over a bunker to a tight pin is actually possible. Take the money saved and invest in some education on how to manage turf. I realize it is difficult to maintain a golf course, but others do it quite well. Dirt patches everywhere on a bermuda course. Really?

I gots to agree with you. Let the fairways grow a bit, but really let the roughs grow. I like the golf here, but I think long green stuff would make it better.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage

You all are aware that there is a quota on the water used on golf courses correct ? Southwest Florida Water Management District will even reduce the amount further if the drought does not ease up.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Something must have drastically changed in the last month then.
Steve
They must have, Steve.....

Here's the report I promised....... Just got back from playing Harbor Hills this morning.....

The course is in good to very good condition...... There is minimal diseased areas on the greens...... they are rolling true at medium speed.

There is grass on the fairways to hit from (that's usually the case at HH) vs the hard pan BS we put up with here in TV.

There is actually grass around the aprons of the greens so that you can actually hit a nice chip, vs the hardpan around the greens on most of the courses here in TV......

The price ? As stated, $30........vs...... you know what we pay here......

Our group was given what they call a "Mulligan Pass" that expires the end of the month for a round of golf for 4 for $25 a piece . We plan on using it !

After golf, we had a nice lunch in their downstairs cafe..... Overall, we beat the rain, played on a course with nice conditions and had a nice lunch afterwards..... doesn't get better than that !!

Bottom line is this....... will I stop playing TV championship courses ?? Heck no, but it sure is nice to play outside TV once in a while where the price and conditions are better than what we have here !!!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:55 AM

Played cherry hill last wed after 3:30. Green fee for 9 holes was $9.50. Tees and fairways were in need of grass and watering. Greens had been aerated and probably should be done at the start of a close down cycle to let them heal before play resumes. But then it's all about money ( maximizing revenues in and minimizing expenditures) in the villages.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinellas Jeff View Post
Played cherry hill last wed after 3:30. Green fee for 9 holes was $9.50. Tees and fairways were in need of grass and watering. Greens had been aerated and probably should be done at the start of a close down cycle to let them heal before play resumes. But then it's all about money ( maximizing revenues in and minimizing expenditures) in the villages.
Played at Mallory yesterday. For a course that was closed for 6 to 8 weeks the course was in mediocre condition. Some greens were in dire need of being cut, others cut to a degree where super fast and ball landing on green just kept rolling. These greens should be able to hold ball coming in on a high arc and they don’t. Fairways hard. OkayI get the water conservation issues but they could water the greens and cut them so all are same height. Don’t know who the greenskeeper is for all these courses but no doubt they’re not riding around much on the courses at least every other day.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:04 AM

I just read about people complaining about being able to get the times in TV. This could be the issue with the course conditions. With this much activity there will be heavy wear and tear.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsego58 View Post
I just read about people complaining about being able to get the times in TV. This could be the issue with the course conditions. With this much activity there will be heavy wear and tear.
Your thoughts would seem logical but the truth of the matter is that the courses are in terrible condition even during the slow season .......
Old 05-15-2020, 05:38 AM

Greens were iffy. You could find a spot to hit off in the fairway. Yes, I’d expect a little better, but I’m just glad to play
Old 05-19-2020, 06:24 AM

Same old reasons, if you play bad it's the course's fault, if you play good, what a great course.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
There are very few courses in The Villages that I consider to be in good shape......one exception, the executive courses south of 44 are in very nice condition......

Our foursome normally play a championship on Sundays......we have been playing the courses outside The Villages for the past month .This Sunday will be Harbor Hills.

Why ? The outside courses are in great shape and are considerably less expensive to play .....

And I’m priority ! We feel it’s better to play on a course that’s in good shape than anything here in TV ....
That was my experience a few years ago, and the reason I quit getting a priority membership. I used to play a lot of golf, but i expected nice conditions, and many, many times, that just wasn't the case. I voiced my concerns to the higher ups, got a positive response, that they were aware, they were working on it etc., but nothing ever seemed to change.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I gots to agree with you. Let the fairways grow a bit, but really let the roughs grow. I like the golf here, but I think long green stuff would make it better.

So glad you like it here
Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
That was my experience a few years ago, and the reason I quit getting a priority membership. I used to play a lot of golf, but i expected nice conditions, and many, many times, that just wasn't the case. I voiced my concerns to the higher ups, got a positive response, that they were aware, they were working on it etc., but nothing ever seemed to change.
Amen
Old 05-19-2020, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The Palmer Legends Cherry Hill course was designed by Arnold Palmer. With that legacy it should be a showcase.

From golflink.com:

The 9-hole "Cherry Hill" course at the Palmer Legends Country Club facility in The Villages, Florida features 3,541 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 36. The course rating is 37.4 and it has a slope rating of 143 on Bermuda grass. Designed by Arnold Palmer, the Cherry Hill golf course opened in 2004. The Villages Division of Golf & Tennis manages this facility.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:09 AM

Replayed Palmer yesterday. No rough yet, fairways were ok but greens are in good shape.
Closed Thread

Tags
palmer, hill, cherry, play, recovered

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.