Palmer Legends Golf Conditions disappointing today Thursday March 14,2024

Old 03-14-2024, 11:27 AM
Default Palmer Legends Golf Conditions disappointing today Thursday March 14,2024

The Palmer Course has lost its long held reputation as one of the best courses to play in the Villages.

Today the greens were at best a C-, most had bare (disease spots) and have had light sand applied recently. If you look closely many areas need some care and attention..... from tee boxes ti fairways..... its past .... its glory days it seems.

Need more attention everyday by course management.....
Old 03-14-2024, 11:42 AM
Gold member

It's really too bad what they did to Riley. Over watered turned greens into mud . The people who are in charge of the course should be fired.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Didn't you read the front page headline in today's Daily Sun about The Villages "pristine" (!) golf courses? ;0
Old 03-14-2024, 05:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynet View Post
It's really too bad what they did to Riley. Over watered turned greens into mud . The people who are in charge of the course should be fired.
Where did that information come from?
Old 03-14-2024, 05:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Domer View Post
The Palmer Course has lost its long held reputation as one of the best courses to play in the Villages.

Today the greens were at best a C-, most had bare (disease spots) and have had light sand applied recently. If you look closely many areas need some care and attention..... from tee boxes ti fairways..... its past .... its glory days it seems.

Laurel Valley greens are better than most in The Villages and have been, for the last 2 weeks. A little slower than I prefer, but excellent putting surfaces.

I believe Riley Groves greens are diseased, but they have been improving over the last 10 days.

Cherry's are old and not in great condition.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:13 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Where did that information come from?
Someone's ying yang
Old 03-14-2024, 05:26 PM

I just finished playing there and they were not as bad as I was expecting. Riley Grove was much better than Cherry Hill but both need a few weeks of good weather.

I don't know how true this is but the starter said they were closing Cherry Hill in two weeks.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miboater View Post
I just finished playing there and they were not as bad as I was expecting. Riley Grove was much better than Cherry Hill but both need a few weeks of good weather.

I don't know how true this is but the starter said they were closing Cherry Hill in two weeks.
I don't know the date, but it's Cherry Hills' turn for renovation. Laurel was last year, Riley the year before. It usually happens the end of April.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Domer View Post

Hmm, I stopped by there today to purchase a shirt and the golf shop was full of people checking in to play; probably common folk that does not have your expectations.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Played Laurel to Riley last Monday and the greens on Laurel were great. The greens on Riley were not nearly as good, they appear to have some sort of turf disease. Some greens were better than others, but the ones on the last 4 holes playing along Lake Sumter had large patches of bumpy dirt with no grass and were very difficult to put across if they were in your line. Certainly not what one would expect from greens that were just completely renovated during last years growing season. Hopefully they can be fixed soon now that we are coming out of the difficult winter season.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:18 AM

MY golf group played Laurel to Riley two days ago and we found Laurel in very good condition although the greens a bit slow. Riley has a few greens sanded...probably all of them by now...and there were some spots that were bad on some greens. Otherwise a good experience. It really seems unfair to our group that golf administration can tell us their plugging schedule but cannot tell us when they slit and sand the greens. We've asked them and they claim it doesn't affect play...yeah, right...maybe for them but for all of us it does. We think we should be able to avoid sanded and slitted greens and they should tell us when they're doing that...but apparently it doesn't affect play.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:00 AM
Veteran member

This can not be true. I just read in the Daily Sun that the golf courses are Pristine.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:47 AM
Gold member

My information came from another greenskeeper at a different golf course. No names do not want to get him in trouble.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Played Laurel to Riley last Monday and the greens on Laurel were great. The greens on Riley were not nearly as good, they appear to have some sort of turf disease. Some greens were better than others, but the ones on the last 4 holes playing along Lake Sumter had large patches of bumpy dirt with no grass and were very difficult to put across if they were in your line. Certainly not what one would expect from greens that were just completely renovated during last years growing season. Hopefully they can be fixed soon now that we are coming out of the difficult winter season.
The sad part is that I played laurel literally 3 hours after it re-opened post renovation. Already, there were a few dozen unrepaired ball marks and unfilled divots. Footprints in the bunkers were plentiful, including my favorite---footprints that lead right back to a rake(I wonder if that "golfer" tripped over the rake on the way in or out). Maintenance crews cannot repair all the damage that hundreds of bozo golfers cause. I suggest that there should be significant penalties for any of the above infractions.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:33 AM
Default Palmer

I will bet the pro didn't come out and pat you on the head and give you a balloon after your round either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Someone's ying yang

Tags
palmer, attention, today, recently, applied

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.