Plans being discussed of a Golf Boycott by Priority Members !!!!!

Old 03-10-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Haven't heard, but your post made me stop and think about IF such a thing took place. Would the villages administration, or golf administration, or even the lowly course employees really care if everyone stayed off all the courses for a day ? Or a week ? If they did, would the 1300 people who checked in in the month of March also be willing to "pass" on the times they are given on the championship courses, and just play the none hole courses ? Maybe I am not seeing any benefit, but I could certainly be wrong ! To me it seems like if our entire community stopped buying bread for an entire day, or for an entire week, would it really have an "awaking" effect ? Maybe so because as it relates to the courses, I have no idea what the actual profit is for one day, or one week ? Does anyone know ?
I dont play the month of May ever since it became part of the winter rate
They start their work on the courses and during the summer not that they aerate the greens so often that need 2+ weeks to recover leaves you really limits you few courses to play
Old 03-10-2024, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

No. But those who stand to gain at the developers expense have circulated rumors like this on this forum for as long as I can remember.

I always wonder if it it is those who don't live here and wish they do, or those who are building other developments closeby. Or just folks who are envious of the Morses enormous success. But this kind of talk and negative talk about this wonderful place happens here, and has happened here and will happen here while The Villages continues to be head and shoulders above any similar entity in this whole country.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No. But those who stand to gain at the developers expense have circulated rumors like this on this forum for as long as I can remember.

I always wonder if it it is those who don't live here and wish they do, or those who are building other developments closeby. Or just folks who are envious of the Morses enormous success. But this kind of talk and negative talk about this wonderful place happens here, and has happened here and will happen here while The Villages continues to be head and shoulders above any similar entity in this whole country.
You may be right. Too often on forums like this and others, posters talk about the negativity and envy etc. It’s because it’s the way people feel whether we agree or not....neatly packaged and presented in one place. Do you not agree in past generations, pre internet, that this type of ‘negativity’ was confined to social clubs, fraternal organizations, Dunkin Donuts, bars etc....and still does? It’s human nature. There was a comedian who passed recently, Greg Giraldo, who had a bit about people that say their town or city is the best in the country. Unless you’ve visited every corner and crevice of this great country, how can you make that distinction. TV is a special place and I don’t see it as exclusive. It represents a decent demographic and varying income levels. If someone is envious, welcome aboard.....and if not, best wishes moving forward
Old 03-10-2024, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
I'd roughly calculate one day's full revenue potential at $10K per nine holes- (based on available tee times and guessing at a medium greens fee plus factoring in some 9-hole players). From a 'boycott' effectiveness-it would all be lost profit-as the overhead doesn't change. Again-$10K is a max revenue-I'd figure 80% of that during peak season (2somes or 3somes instead of all 4somes). So for a 27-hole course-$24K a day in sales. If you put up picket lines and golfers refused to cross-that would be the loss. Imagine the press it would get though? Not sure I'd be on the picket line-but I'd sure be across the street with my iPhone filming it.
Although-now that I think about it-imagine the tee times it would open up-And I've always wanted to play at exactly 10 AM.......
Should help the folks trying to sell their homes …….not even Forest Gump has a quote to identify with this picket line idea.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I've brought up that possibility on this site, numerous times.

That said, I think there would be repercussions that won't be pleasant, for those organizing such a thing.

On a more positive note. I believe the Developer has taken heed and begun to work at getting the courses into better condition. I've seen significant evidence of that, over the last 2 weeks.
Live on Hacienda. Huge improvements over the past 18 months.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I've brought up that possibility on this site, numerous times.

That said, I think there would be repercussions that won't be pleasant, for those organizing such a thing.

On a more positive note. I believe the Developer has taken heed and begun to work at getting the courses into better condition. I've seen significant evidence of that, over the last 2 weeks.
Developer has nothing to do with executive courses. They gave up that responsibility last year.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Domer View Post
I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?
Bet that most "enhanced" members bought this membership to get lower green fees and will re new due to a savings
Old 03-10-2024, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
That is a perfect solution...at any course in the US. It might give the course time to ‘heal’ but it’s a huge loss of income/revenue for the operator. Thus highly unlikely.
Would help somewhat but most of the significant problems are not from overplay, but is from poor maintenance. Look at Glenview. Hardest course to get a tee time and is in best condition. Company who re did the course did a great job
Old 03-10-2024, 04:52 PM

Hey...it's the fault of El Nino....didn't you read the Daily Sun? BTW...how did Bay Hill escape El Nino?
Old 03-10-2024, 05:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
I'd roughly calculate one day's full revenue potential at $10K per nine holes- (based on available tee times and guessing at a medium greens fee plus factoring in some 9-hole players). From a 'boycott' effectiveness-it would all be lost profit-as the overhead doesn't change. Again-$10K is a max revenue-I'd figure 80% of that during peak season (2somes or 3somes instead of all 4somes). So for a 27-hole course-$24K a day in sales. If you put up picket lines and golfers refused to cross-that would be the loss. Imagine the press it would get though? Not sure I'd be on the picket line-but I'd sure be across the street with my iPhone filming it.
Although-now that I think about it-imagine the tee times it would open up-And I've always wanted to play at exactly 10 AM.......
I think your very close. I did a fairly lengthy run at putting numbers together, last year. I estimated the yearly revenue at $75M. One day in prime season of no play, using the #'s I came up with, gives me a total of $250,000. Just about the same as yours.

I am going to reiterate, there has been significant improvement at every golf course I play, in the last 2 weeks. Those courses are TDS, Palmer, Glenview & Mallory. Today at Palmer, I saw at least 8-10 "patches" in fairways and on greens. I've hardly ever seen that in TV. They're making an effort over the last 2 weeks. They've heard the rumblings.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-10-2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Developer has nothing to do with executive courses. They gave up that responsibility last year.
You need to read the title of thread. The discussion involves Priority/Enhanced Members boycotting Championship golf courses.

& the Developer didn't "give up that responsibility last year".
Old 03-10-2024, 06:25 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Already have your money so probably not a big deal.

BUT…..if 29% chose not to renew for a few months maybe cause pause.
You may want to educate yourself on priority golf in TV. Priority members pay every time they play. At a slightly discounted rate, but they pay. See above post about golf revenue.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarc View Post
Hey...it's the fault of El Nino....didn't you read the Daily Sun? BTW...how did Bay Hill escape El Nino?
������
Bay Hill paid off the people that run El Nino.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Bay Hill paid off the people that run El Nino.

It's amazing what you can buy for 50 Tacos.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
I think your very close. I did a fairly lengthy run at putting numbers together, last year. I estimated the yearly revenue at $75M. One day in prime season of no play, using the #'s I came up with, gives me a total of $250,000. Just about the same as yours.

I am going to reiterate, there has been significant improvement at every golf course I play, in the last 2 weeks. Those courses are TDS, Palmer, Glenview & Mallory. Today at Palmer, I saw at least 8-10 "patches" in fairways and on greens. I've hardly ever seen that in TV. They're making an effort over the last 2 weeks. They've heard the rumblings.
Good news things are improving.
What have they done in two weeks for things to improve?
All I read on TOTV is it will take time for any improvement, fire pros, fire supervisors , train the grass cutters and on & on.🤦

Tags
boycott, priority, members, heard, plans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.