Plans being discussed of a Golf Boycott by Priority Members !!!!!

Old 03-11-2024, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

Totally stupid for multiple reasons.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Good news things are improving.
What have they done in two weeks for things to improve?
All I read on TOTV is it will take time for any improvement, fire pros, fire supervisors , train the grass cutters and on & on.������
Every green I've putted on in the last week, has recently been fertilized.

The greens on Laurel Valley were atrocious 3 weeks ago. I think they've cut back on their mowing schedule, allowed them more growth (slows them down a little) and now the greens seem to coming back and most are putting well.

I believe Riley Grove's greens had been infected with a disease, but they seem to be improving.

Glenview's overall condition has improved in the last 2 weeks, although it's always been reasonable good. I noticed the bunkers are being power raked more often.

On Palmer yesterday, I noticed a bunch of areas where they've removed bad areas of fairway & green turf and patched in new sod.

Mallory's overall condition seemed to improve over the last 2 weeks.

I was told this morning, that there's a battalion of folks working on the Havana courses that are closed.

Some of the above is attributable to better weather and growing conditions, but I've also noticed more maintenance people seem to be out & about and working at the courses.

I think all the social media and other attention the courses have received over the last month, has been a little bit of a wake up call for the Developer. We're not dealing with dumb people here and once they began to be concerned their image might get damaged, I think they took notice.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-11-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Domer View Post
I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?
31 replies so far, and not one says they heard what you are implying.....fake news, and rumors.......nice try, i'm sure the developer is shaking in their boots
Old 03-11-2024, 08:31 AM

They already do this in the off season. I live on Virginia course, and I've seen days when it's shut down to rest; Mallory Hill keeps playing on Caroline and Amelia. They rotate the off-days.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:57 AM
Default Conditions

Its amazing when the grass starts growing how conditions improve. Its amazing when the grass stops growing how the complaints roll in. Mother Nature is waking up and the conditions will continue to get better. Take a good look at your lawn, its starting to comeback too. Most looked like crap in the winter.

Truly amazing this Mother Nature and grass growth. You cant fool Mother Nature in the winter and force grass growth, so conditions will be not as good in the winter and voila, spring hits, heat hits, water hits and its a golfers miracle.

If we copy all these posts, we can just re-enter them next winter when the grass stops growing, save time to complain about other stuff.

Very glad to see Spring has sprung.

QUOTE=Golden Domer;2309176]I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2024, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Its amazing when the grass starts growing how conditions improve. Its amazing when the grass stops growing how the complaints roll in. Mother Nature is waking up and the conditions will continue to get better. Take a good look at your lawn, its starting to comeback too. Most looked like crap in the winter.

Truly amazing this Mother Nature and grass growth. You cant fool Mother Nature in the winter and force grass growth, so conditions will be not as good in the winter and voila, spring hits, heat hits, water hits and its a golfers miracle.

If we copy all these posts, we can just re-enter them next winter when the grass stops growing, save time to complain about other stuff.

Very glad to see Spring has sprung.

QUOTE=Golden Domer;2309176]I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?
[/QUOTE]

Don't be going back on your previous, 100% accurate statement: "A good superintendent can grow grass on a bald head".

Any dummy can grow grass when it's 75 degrees and the weather alternates ... 2 days sun, 1 day rain.

In New England, we grow grass when it's 50 degrees and we grow grass when it's 95 degrees. We keep it safe & secure, when it's 5 below zero ... and sometimes in the spring time and sometimes in the fall, we do it all.

Remember all that, for your pre-retirement?
Old 03-11-2024, 03:40 PM
Default ?

All the other golfers would stand up and applaud for easier tee times the villages wouldn't notice
Old 03-13-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I have heard rumblings recently that a group of Priority Members have been discussing a "boycott day / week" ....... anyone else heard anything about this ?
That's a great idea. We need to send a strong message about the lack of value for our pricy investment
Old 03-14-2024, 07:04 AM

Any significant change in course conditions will not occur unto the soil is warm enough for the Bermuda grass to aggressively grow. Hope for sunshine and warm nights.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Don't be going back on your previous, 100% accurate statement: "A good superintendent can grow grass on a bald head".

Any dummy can grow grass when it's 75 degrees and the weather alternates ... 2 days sun, 1 day rain.

In New England, we grow grass when it's 50 degrees and we grow grass when it's 95 degrees. We keep it safe & secure, when it's 5 below zero ... and sometimes in the spring time and sometimes in the fall, we do it all.

Remember all that, for your pre-retirement?[/QUOTE]

Grass growing Mic drop!
Old 03-14-2024, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
Any significant change in course conditions will not occur unto the soil is warm enough for the Bermuda grass to aggressively grow. Hope for sunshine and warm nights.
While this winter's weather has been a factor, it's far from the whole story. Turn on your TV and look at the conditions at TPC Sawgrass---same weather, or Bay Hill last week. To make a more reasonable comparison, look at Juliette Falls. Heck, just look at the difference between Glenview and Havana. It would seem the biggest factor is the maintenance crew and their supervision.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
While this winter's weather has been a factor, it's far from the whole story. Turn on your TV and look at the conditions at TPC Sawgrass---same weather, or Bay Hill last week. To make a more reasonable comparison, look at Juliette Falls. Heck, just look at the difference between Glenview and Havana. It would seem the biggest factor is the maintenance crew and their supervision.
... or Evans Prairie and TDS.

That's what's so frustrating to me. It's as clear as day, the problem is with their contracting approach and management of same. There's hardly a contract of any sort, in effect anywhere, that does't have a revocation/cancellatoin clause. Get rid of the contractors that can't do the job and hire ones who can and will ... or take it over yourself.

This is Business 101 and the Developer has demonstrated for years, there's no shortage of business savvy on staff.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I don't play golf so I don't really know much about this but I was wondering how would a boycott help your cause?
Old 03-18-2024, 05:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robojo View Post
I don't play golf so I don't really know much about this but I was wondering how would a boycott help your cause?
In this case, a boycott isn’t about the lost revenue, it would be about the message it sends (that the residents can organize)
Unfortunately, for a boycott to be successful, you would need 85 to 95% participation.
the course would need to be EMPTY for 2 or 3 days. That won’t happen. People will see an opportunity to play on empty courses and cave on the afternoon of day 1.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Haven't heard, but your post made me stop and think about IF such a thing took place. Would the villages administration, or golf administration, or even the lowly course employees really care if everyone stayed off all the courses for a day ? Or la week ? If they did, would the 1300 people who checked in in the month of March also be willing to "pass" on the times they are given on the championship courses, and just play the none hole courses ? Maybe I am not seeing any benefit, but I could certainly be wrong ! To me it seems like if our entire community stopped buying bread for an entire day, or for an entire week, would it really have an "awaking" effect ? Maybe so because as it relates to the courses, I have no idea what the actual profit is for one day, or one week ? Does anyone know ?
Lowly course employees????

Tags
boycott, priority, members, heard, plans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.