Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
With pace of play in mind, why in the world would they not put reflectors for lasers on the flagsticks like the other 12 Championship courses? That one has me scratching my head?
Hoping they will........a lot of shaking old hands trying to hit the stick.

Reflectors might be in a ship off the California coast.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:31 AM

I agree. Pretty accurate about the course. I hit a seven iron straight out toward the hole. Should be in the fairway? No. There was rough and I couldn't find my ball where it should have been fairway in front of the hole. The rough is only maybe 3-4 inches thick but its porous and curly, hiding your ball underneath it.

Last edited by Calisport; 12-04-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
I have heard nothing but negative comments from everyone who played it. No character, no trees, no water, deep rough, turnpike noise, etc. We watched the Pro shootout a couple of weeks ago and only got to see the front nine. To my complete surprise, there were beautiful trees, water on several holes, multi tiered greens and I didn't even notice the traffic noise. I thought it was beautiful and can't wait to play it. I read where they are averaging 275 rounds/day so it must not be too bad of a course.
What you have to realize that some people are chronic whiners and complainers…….This forum is full of them !! They would complain even if Jack Nicklaus picked them up personally in a limo and took them to the course and spent the day with them !

That said, I have played the course twice now and could not agree with you more ! It’s a beautiful layout with lots of challenges for every level depending on the tee box played from….

Sure, it needs a little time to mature a little for obvious reasons but the great thing about it is that no one is forced to play it !

If you choose NOT to play based on the report of these Debbie Downer whiners then you are missing an opportunity to judge it for yourself.

And those that DO want to play it will thank you for creating additional tee times to choose from !
Old 12-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Been here 15+ years and heard this same bitchin on every new course.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I agree. Pretty accurate about the course. I hit a seven iron straight out toward the hole. Should be in the fairway? No. There was rough and I couldn't find my ball where it should have been fairway in front of the hole. The rough is only maybe 3-4 inches thick but its porous and curly, hiding your ball underneath it.
Which hole and which Tee were you hitting from?

Without that info not much can be gleaned from your comment.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:59 PM
Default Southern palms (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.
I just fixed the OAKS problem. Played it 4 times already and again this Friday. I didn’t notice any holes that crossed the freeway and created an issue. I’m new to the Villages and have already played about half the Championship and about 10-12 of the executives. They are all nice. A few I like better than others but I have found nothing wrong with any of them. “If you move here don’t bring your attitudes or ideas from where you are from”. There are mostly really great people here. I love the Villages. Can’t wait for more courses on the other side of the freeway.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
What you have to realize that some people are chronic whiners and complainers…….This forum is full of them !! They would complain even if Jack Nicklaus picked them up personally in a limo and took them to the course and spent the day with them !

That said, I have played the course twice now and could not agree with you more ! It’s a beautiful layout with lots of challenges for every level depending on the tee box played from….

Sure, it needs a little time to mature a little for obvious reasons but the great thing about it is that no one is forced to play it !

If you choose NOT to play based on the report of these Debbie Downer whiners then you are missing an opportunity to judge it for yourself.

And those that DO want to play it will thank you for creating additional tee times to choose from !

Jack called and wasn't happy. He noted Nancy and Arnold have their own courses in TV. Also he was concerned his limo is too long to negotiate the roundabouts.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,665 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
Wait. You hit a seven iron and did not look at what was between you and the green?
Old 12-09-2021, 08:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Wait. You hit a seven iron and did not look at what was between you and the green?

was thinking the same thing.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Default No CC for Southern Oaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.
Not a golfer (yet) but recently talked with some friends who live north of 44, who were wondering where is the Country Club for Southern Oaks? I live south of 44, and thought that was a great question. I heard in the latest Villages video the the golf pro shop for Southern Oaks would be located in Sawgrass Cove. Wondering if that means no more new CC’s south of 44?
Old 12-09-2021, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill View Post
Not a golfer (yet) but recently talked with some friends who live north of 44, who were wondering where is the Country Club for Southern Oaks? I live south of 44, and thought that was a great question. I heard in the latest Villages video the the golf pro shop for Southern Oaks would be located in Sawgrass Cove. Wondering if that means no more new CC’s south of 44?
Precedent was set when the pro shop, restaurant, pool, and tennis courts were torn to the ground at Hacienda Hills. There is a new business model going forward. Let’s just hope that no more existing Championship facilities meet the same fate as HH?
Old 12-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill View Post
How many country clubs have you eaten at this year?
Old 12-09-2021, 10:35 AM

Went to Bonifay CC & Glenview this year. The wife and I enjoy sitting outside and eating with the golf course as our view.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Precedent was set when the pro shop, restaurant, pool, and tennis courts were torn to the ground at Hacienda Hills. There is a new business model going forward. Let’s just hope that no more existing Championship facilities meet the same fate as HH?
As long as they are supported and turn an acceptable profit they will remain.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Orange Blossom
Tierra Del Sol
Glenview
Mallory
Palmer
Evans Prairie
Nancy Lopez
Cane Garden
Havana
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.