Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2021, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Not babbling any more than you often do, but as a high level amateur I'd expect you could care less about the ratings and slope. And I am not particularly concerned about the rating. However the slope, which supposedly concerns the bogie golfer is a concern. The slopes here are too low. It seems as if the slope ratings have been determined by scratch golfers. I've held off participating in Men's Day, because comparable and/or better golfers had handicaps 4/5 higher than mine; but that will change. One more round will remove my last score being used from up north. My scores have been similar to the scores I brought down with me, however my handicap has already gone up by 4. Thank you course raters.

I don’t play in leagues, so I don’t bother to look at slope or rating since I don’t keep an official handicap. That being said, what you stated makes absolutely no sense, I would expect the slope and ratings at the Villages courses to be substantially lower than courses up north. The courses in the Villages are way easier than the courses I play up north. The typical course up north is longer from the white t’s than the Villages courses are from the blues. The fairways up north are much narrower and less forgiving, out of bounds markers are frequently in play, forced carries are very common, the rough is typically much longer, the sand in the traps is poorer quality and very inconsistent, and the weather typically adds an additional challenge. The only things easier about northern courses are that there is more grass under your ball in the fairways and the bent grass green accept a ball better and roll more consistently than Bermuda. However, the new hybrid greens at Tierra Del Sol and Lopez are very nice and play much more like bent grass. I assume the greens at Southern Oaks are the hybrid greens?

Last edited by tophcfa; 11-17-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just one correction----there was a sandbox on both 1 and 10, plus the ambassador has sand
Interesting about the sand. The starter told us they didn’t have any sand so we never looked, or it came in after we played.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Well, it will be more than a few years before any of that is completed...

That matters to some, and not a whit to others...

Why so many people are insecure about where they live is astounding...
And it also sounds like some people are insecure about where others live, i.e., north Villages vs south Villages.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
And it also sounds like some people are insecure about where others live, i.e., north Villages vs south Villages.
How someone could be insecure about where someone else lives makes no sense...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-18-2021, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=tophcfa;2030810]I don’t play in leagues, so I don’t bother to look at slope or rating since I don’t keep an official handicap. That being said, what you stated makes absolutely no sense, I would expect the slope and ratings at the Villages courses to be substantially lower than courses up north...]

Think about it; yes it does make sense.

I indicated my scores have been equal/similar here as up north. Shooting a 78 on a course with a 123 slope (up north or anywhere) will give you a single digit handicap or close to it. Shoot that same score on TV courses from the white tees, around 110 slope, and you get a considerably higher handicap. The ratings are out of kilter here.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Southern Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.
I'll say this much: It ain't ready for prime time and not deserving of the higher green fees ($3 dollars more) charged to play there.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I'll say this much: It ain't ready for prime time and not deserving of the higher green fees ($3 dollars more) charged to play there.
Wasn’t aware the green fees charged are a premium versus other courses. Probably just taking advantage of the “new course” demand and will be the same as other courses when the much higher winter rates are announced in about a month.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Wasn’t aware the green fees charged are a premium versus other courses. Probably just taking advantage of the “new course” demand and will be the same as other courses when the much higher winter rates are announced in about a month.
The winter rates typically go up $3 from the previous winter rate. Not much higher.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:45 AM

Anyone know if you there is anywhere you can park a car at the course?
Old 11-19-2021, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Then don’t play there. Simple decision, isn’t it?

There are a lot of people that are going to still play there even with the wannabe pro’s rendering their negative decisions.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

One and done.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:56 PM
Default Watch out!

If I ever play the course, I will notify the proper authorities about my wide slicing. Also I will be careful when driving northbound on the turnpike...
Old 11-20-2021, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I hope it wasn't the same raters (or equivalent) who rated our other championship courses. Those ratings (both slope and rating) are out of line.
In California we rated our course after major renovations. 500 rounds from each tee box and rated each hole based on those scores and USGA rated the Slope and total handicap for the course based on all those score cards.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

First time on the course, shot 3 over. Is a very nice course. It’s going to be immature, it’s new. The turnpike doesn’t bother me, but a sudden conversation in my backswing can be annoying.

The rough is impressive, finding a ball is like a hole in one, just luck. Sadly it does slow down play, for those looking for their ball. You almost have to step on it to find it. Lost one ball, partner lost 4.

Course Is a work in progress, that will be appreciated by many, hated by a few.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Southern Oaks (no oaks but lots of turnpike)
It is a bland course they make harder by having ultra small fairways not close to the tees or greens with ultra tall shaggy rough the kind that if your ball falls under the grass you cannot see it 3 feet away.
I've always thought what makes a course "interesting" or "memorable" is if you can remember each of the holes after you play. Although Southern Oaks is new, convenient, and beautiful, the holes are a lot alike, becoming a blur after 18 of them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.