Southern Oaks .... Impressive conditions today Saturday March 9, 2024

Old 03-11-2024, 02:09 PM
Smile Touchy Feely

Very True on touchy feely, just not all people in general. Pros at private clubs need to be better smoozers to keep their jobs. In case you have not noticed, they hang shirts now, folding is old school. Rules disagreements are where all the exciting stuff happens, men and women. Always relied on the written word, USGA, so no job threat no matter the outcome. Grateful for that as the only rules everyone bends to are the rules of golf. If they are broken they get ostracized by the general population. No-one wants to be an outcast. If they are they eventually leave the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Not all PGA Professionals are great at the touchy-feeling thing. Many of them are too busy folding shirts and refereeing rules disagreements at the Women's Day Outing.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
Grateful for that as the only rules everyone bends to are the rules of golf. If they are broken they get ostracized by the general population. No-one wants to be an outcast. If they are they eventually leave the club.
So we had a guy at IGC. Twice opponents walked off the course, during a Club Match Play Championship against the guy ... he was a known cheater.

Fast forward a few years, he's a member of another club I also belong to in NH. 2 day M/M, Point Quota. $100,000 Calcutta. A friend of mine had a syndicate and bought this guy's team at the auction. On the morning of the match, the syndicate owner goes to Mr. X and asks if he wants to buy 1/2 his team back. Hard "NO". Right before he tees off, the syndicate guy goes back to him, just to confirm. Mr. X gets nasty and tells the syndicate guy to "get lost, I don't want to buy any of my team".

Mr. X's team finishes the 1st day in the lead. They come in +10. He goes to the syndicate guy and say, "I want to buy 1/2 my team". Syndicate guy says, "I asked you twice and you refused". Mr. X says, "if you don't sell me 1/2, I'm going to tank it tomorrow".

I never saw his name on the Tee Sheet again.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:19 PM
Default Wow

Cheaters are ticking time bombs, self inflicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
So we had a guy at IGC. Twice opponents walked off the course, during a Club Match Play Championship against the guy ... he was a known cheater.

Fast forward a few years, he's a member of another club I also belong to in NH. 2 day M/M, Point Quota. $100,000 Calcutta. A friend of mine had a syndicate and bought this guy's team at the auction. On the morning of the match, the syndicate owner goes to Mr. X and asks if he wants to buy 1/2 his team back. Hard "NO". Right before he tees off, the syndicate guy goes back to him, just to confirm. Mr. X gets nasty and tells the syndicate guy to "get lost, I don't want to buy any of my team".

Mr. X's team finishes the 1st day in the lead. They come in +10. He goes to the syndicate guy and say, "I want to buy 1/2 my team". Syndicate guy says, "I asked you twice and you refused". Mr. X says, "if you don't sell me 1/2, I'm going to tank it tomorrow".

I never saw his name on the Tee Sheet again.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Actually, they were the people taking care of Glenview, Lopez and TDS that were moved down there. The people taking care of Palmer now have those northern courses. God help them now.
Scary, only time will tell.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:42 PM

*♂️It is only $5 more? Worth the price for actual grass on the course.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:42 PM

I played Southern Oaks today. It's still in GREAT condition. The superintendent has aerated (plugs) the rough in several areas.
One staff person at S.O. told me that the courses with big problems did not handle the wet conditions, causing greens to deteriorate rapidly. At one point, S.O. stopped watering greens for roughly 10 days! They also slit aerated (small holes, no plugs).
Some green superintendents are smarter than others.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Interesting. The developer knows which crews are best and moves them to the new areas so the new courses look good. They know what works, but don't spend the time or money to ensure all crews know how to do this properly. Clear message here - screw folks who have already purchased.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
Interesting. The developer knows which crews are best and moves them to the new areas so the new courses look good. They know what works, but don't spend the time or money to ensure all crews know how to do this properly. Clear message here - screw folks who have already purchased.
Since any resident can play any course, that makes no sense. What would make sense is firing the incompetent maintenance companies and replacing them, as well as bringing in a few expert agronomists
Old 03-15-2024, 07:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Since any resident can play any course, that makes no sense. What would make sense is firing the incompetent maintenance companies and replacing them, as well as bringing in a few expert agronomists
That would make sense but the companies probably can't find workers.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
That would make sense but the companies probably can't find workers.
When you look at who is doing the actual work, it's hard to believe there is a shortage. Whether they are trainable or not is another issue.

Tags
southern, oaks, opinion, great, greens

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.