When did these Champion courses qualify for the US OPEN?

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2023, 10:09 AM
Default When did these Champion courses qualify for the US OPEN?

I don't know what the thinking is to let the rough grow to the point where it's unplayable for senior golfers. More time is spent looking for balls in the rough. There are places on all Campion courses where the rough is close to 10 inches high. This is a senior retirement community so make the conditions so we can enjoy playing the game.
I won't even get into the conditions of the sandtraps. They are the worst I've seen in my 50 years of playing this game.
Spend some money and hire more help to maintain these courses.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
I don't know what the thinking is to let the rough grow to the point where it's unplayable for senior golfers. More time is spent looking for balls in the rough. There are places on all Campion courses where the rough is close to 10 inches high. This is a senior retirement community so make the conditions so we can enjoy playing the game.
I won't even get into the conditions of the sandtraps. They are the worst I've seen in my 50 years of playing this game.
Not just here. Played Lake Jovita this past week end and same problems. Biggest beef is the weeds. There were weeds growing 2-3 feet high on the bank at Palmer last week. On the length of the of rough, we are more likely to find a golf ball which was chewed up by a lawn mower blade than our own ball. Villages should have a local rule that if a ball is lost in the rough it is a 1 stroke penalty. We do not have hundreds of fore caddies like the pros.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:02 PM

I think it is the large amounts of rain we have gotten over the last four months. I've seen fairways, greens, rough, and even tee boxes that are far too thick and lush. Champion courses and executive courses. But I also see entire areas marked off as being wet with signs directing cart traffic away from them. I am looking forward to the winter and the extra 15 to 20 yards of roll I will get on tee shots.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Personally I enjoy having different lengths of rough. Playing the senior card means your game may not be good enough to play Championship, or you are playing from the wrong tees. The fairways here are very wide and should accommodate everyone's game. We should be penalized for bad shots, golf has always had consequences for poor shots and for the prices they charge, the course should be challenging.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-11-2023, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Personally I enjoy having different lengths of rough. Playing the senior card means your game may not be good enough to play Championship, or you are playing from the wrong tees. The fairways here are very wide and should accommodate everyone's game. We should be penalized for bad shots, golf has always had consequences for poor shots and for the prices they charge, the course should be challenging.
Problem is that you can miss the fairway by a couple of feet and the ball disappears and/or is plugged. Slows down play too.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Agreed. Try playing one of the famous links courses in England, Scotland or Ireland, where the tall fescue grows to knee length just off the first cut. Visually stunning. The Villages "Championship" courses are just driving ranges in comparison.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

One solution could be to have some of the courses set up as challenging and the others set up as closely cut everywhere.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-12-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Finally, someone who understands how a golf should be played and how a course should be set up. Our courses have overly forgiven width in the fairways and in most cases lack of trees. Our courses are extremely senior friendly. I just returned from a two week west Coast golf trip where the rough was 6 inches deep and twice as thick as anything we have here. Greens had severe slopes to them and were lightning fast. Bless your lucky stars what you have here.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:45 AM

Generally, the fairways are generous but not everywhere. Tierra Del Sol (back nine) and Hacienda Hills (Oaks and Lakes) courses are a few that come to mind with some very narrow, tree lined fairways. It isn't just the rough that needs cutting in some instances. With all the rain we have received, the ground crews are struggling to keep up right now. Plus some areas are just too wet to cut sometimes.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
The rough is “rough” indeed, but the expectation of what being in there means is known on the tee box. However, the sand traps are a completely different matter and one that is not at all being addressed anywhere here in TV.

Sand traps vary anywhere from mud holes to weed beds to hard pad depending on the current weather conditions. Personally, I cannot recall seeing a sand trap raked much less manicured on any course and I play five days a week. It almost seems the Ambassadors put more sand on the tee boxes than is in the traps. Of all places on earth, you would expect Florida to gave decent sand traps on the golf courses.

And yes, I have brought the sand trap conditions to the attention of Ambassadors, starters, pro shops and TV as I expect many others have . . . . deaf ears!
Old 09-13-2023, 05:18 AM
Default Stop all the complaining been here six years nothing has changed

So everyone just needs to play tee boxes for the level of golf they play just an example IAM 69 and play the blue tee boxes carry a 6.9 handicap just saying if the courses are that unfair I would have a handicap of at least 14 so live with the conditions and stop complaining been here six years and nothing will change so saver your breath and just be thanfull you have all these courses to play in one locatio
Old 09-13-2023, 06:24 AM

Buy cheaper golf balls, take a no penalty drop in the fairway and play the packed, hard sand traps as if its a bare dirt lie. If you're playing championship courses and those things bother you then you might think of saving some money and playing the executives where you'll probably lose more balls, but without paying the higher green fees.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Buy cheaper golf balls, take a no penalty drop in the fairway and play the packed, hard sand traps as if its a bare dirt lie. If you're playing championship courses and those things bother you then you might think of saving some money and playing the executives where you'll probably lose more balls, but without paying the higher green fees.
And I'm sure there are people that do that. The only question is what they call the game they're playing, since it is no longer golf. I believe one of the earliest rules dating back to the 1400s is "play the ball as it lies". Remember, the course conditions on any given day are the same for everybody.
I grew up playing Bethpage Black back in the day and the rough there is far more punitive. Most of the time I could horse an 8 iron out of it about 150 yds down the fairway. No longer 45 years later. A similar lie in our Bermuda and I may have to hack a sand wedge out sideways. So be it, that's where I hit it.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
This jumped out at me: “senior golfers. More time is spent looking for balls.” Is that true?
Old 09-13-2023, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Bermuda rough is nasty, a wedge back to the fairway is often the only option. It’s part of the game. I wish the rough could be kept deep enough so it’s a penalty to hit into it, but not so deep that it slows the pace of play because the only way to find a ball is to step on it while looking for it. Unfortunately, during the high growing season with lots of rain, it’s very difficult to impossible to keep the rough that consistent. That’s the nature of golf, players need to adapt to the different conditions as they are always changing throughout the year. In the middle of January, I sometimes like it when the ball winds up in the rough so there is a little grass under the ball compared to the fairway.
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, rough, conditions, playing, game

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.