When did these Champion courses qualify for the US OPEN?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Bermuda rough is nasty, a wedge back to the fairway is often the only option. It’s part of the game. I wish the rough could be kept deep enough so it’s a penalty to hit into it, but not so deep that it slows the pace of play because the only way to find a ball is to step on it while looking for it. Unfortunately, during the high growing season with lots of rain, it’s very difficult to impossible to keep the rough that consistent. That’s the nature of golf, players need to adapt to the different conditions as they are always changing throughout the year. In the middle of January, I sometimes like it when the ball winds up in the rough so there is a little grass under the ball compared to the fairway.
It's called cutting the rough shorter (lower the mower)! It's one thing to have a difficult escape; quite another to have a lost ball mere feet off the fairway.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Default Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Bermuda rough is nasty, a wedge back to the fairway is often the only option. It’s part of the game. I wish the rough could be kept deep enough so it’s a penalty to hit into it, but not so deep that it slows the pace of play because the only way to find a ball is to step on it while looking for it. Unfortunately, during the high growing season with lots of rain, it’s very difficult to impossible to keep the rough that consistent. That’s the nature of golf, players need to adapt to the different conditions as they are always changing throughout the year. In the middle of January, I sometimes like it when the ball winds up in the rough so there is a little grass under the ball compared to the fairway.
My favorite is when the Bermuda is tall enough to be in the way but thin enough that the ball is actually lying down on essentially hardpan. :-)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:20 PM

Played Lopez Torri/Errin today and the rough was as difficult as I've seen in 12 years here. But since there was no one in front of us with a 9:28 t-time, the 3 hour 20 minute round was great even with tough rough. The rest of the course was excellent, except it looked like they accidently killed all the grass on the tee boxes for some reason.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:00 PM
Default Course conditions

The writer sounds like he only played munis before coming here and wants these courses to play like munis too. No thanks.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:33 AM

I played Pimlico yesterday and found the rough on number 6 to be uncharacteristically deep too.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsibole View Post
The rough is “rough” indeed, but the expectation of what being in there means is known on the tee box. However, the sand traps are a completely different matter and one that is not at all being addressed anywhere here in TV.

Sand traps vary anywhere from mud holes to weed beds to hard pad depending on the current weather conditions. Personally, I cannot recall seeing a sand trap raked much less manicured on any course and I play five days a week. It almost seems the Ambassadors put more sand on the tee boxes than is in the traps. Of all places on earth, you would expect Florida to gave decent sand traps on the golf courses.

And yes, I have brought the sand trap conditions to the attention of Ambassadors, starters, pro shops and TV as I expect many others have . . . . deaf ears!

I agree with the sand traps, yesterday I hit a bunker shot and looked down after and saw dirt meaning there was may a 1/2 inch of sand in that bunker and I was on the slight upslope not at the bottom of the bunker!
Old 09-24-2023, 12:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdrm View Post
I agree with the sand traps, yesterday I hit a bunker shot and looked down after and saw dirt meaning there was may a 1/2 inch of sand in that bunker and I was on the slight upslope not at the bottom of the bunker!
You apparently don't hit it into Bunkers very often. That's how Bunkers work, it's much tougher to maintain sand on the slopes, than it is to maintain sand in the bottom.

Funny how that rain/water stuff works. It always seems to run downhill.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
The writer sounds like he only played munis before coming here and wants these courses to play like munis too. No thanks.
It would be nice if conditions on the "Championship" courses were upgraded to favorably compare with a decent Muni.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Maybe it’s not the conditions but the ability? We not spring chickens anymore.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:26 AM
Default Fairways

These fairways are incredibly wide, for the most part. If you’re hitting into really high rough it’s because your shot was way off.
Southern Oaks has some high rough but it is also wide open. You make a bad shot, you live with the consequences. It’s golf. It should be a challenge, the wide open fairways and the large greens make up for the high rough.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
I don't know what the thinking is to let the rough grow to the point where it's unplayable for senior golfers. More time is spent looking for balls in the rough. There are places on all Campion courses where the rough is close to 10 inches high. This is a senior retirement community so make the conditions so we can enjoy playing the game.
I won't even get into the conditions of the sandtraps. They are the worst I've seen in my 50 years of playing this game.
Spend some money and hire more help to maintain these courses.
I like the second cut a little longer to eliminate the Villages roll where if you miss the green by 3 feet the ball rolls 50 feet into the bushes or water, same applies to the executive courses
Old 10-14-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikesheba13 View Post
So everyone just needs to play tee boxes for the level of golf they play just an example IAM 69 and play the blue tee boxes carry a 6.9 handicap just saying if the courses are that unfair I would have a handicap of at least 14 so live with the conditions and stop complaining been here six years and nothing will change so saver your breath and just be thanfull you have all these courses to play in one locatio

I believe the goal is to hit the fairway, stay out of the traps, play the ball where it lies and play the conditions of the course/weather. How many that are complaining are out playing in the rain or 20 mile an hour winds but then complain about the course conditions. Live on a championship course and see the total lack of respect for the course and the rules. Next week the grass will be too short and no rough. Just play the game and enjoy!
Old 10-14-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
I don't know what the thinking is to let the rough grow to the point where it's unplayable for senior golfers. More time is spent looking for balls in the rough. There are places on all Campion courses where the rough is close to 10 inches high. This is a senior retirement community so make the conditions so we can enjoy playing the game.
I won't even get into the conditions of the sandtraps. They are the worst I've seen in my 50 years of playing this game.
Spend some money and hire more help to maintain these courses.
Not now but the last few years there was no rough. It was like hitting off bare ground with a touch of green sprinkled around. I don't need 10 inches but Bermuda grass at a few inches is as it should be. Making you keep the ball in the fairway is a good idea.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:40 PM
Default Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post

I believe the goal is to hit the fairway, stay out of the traps, play the ball where it lies and play the conditions of the course/weather. How many that are complaining are out playing in the rain or 20 mile an hour winds but then complain about the course conditions. Live on a championship course and see the total lack of respect for the course and the rules. Next week the grass will be too short and no rough. Just play the game and enjoy!
This over-reliance on logical debate is often found to be most irksome. 'Tis also why I find myself mostly avoiding the general public; the finding, that is, not the reliance. :-)

This may be my first ever usage of a semicolon. No idea whether it was appropriate. Would be happy to be set straight. . .
Old 10-14-2023, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I thought wasn’t supposed hit over there?
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, rough, conditions, playing, game

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.