When will they learn.....

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2023, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default When will they learn.....

Played Palmer Cherry to Laurel yesterday, the first day LV was open after months of renovation. Conditions were great, fairways had decent grass, greens were running about 10-10 1/2, bunkers were great. However, turned to LV at 11:20 and noticed the following:

15+ unrepaired ball marks on each green
Dozens of divots not filled in
Half the bunkers with unraked footprints
The edges of the cups were raggedy.

At most 22 foursomes came before us

So, unfortunately, I'll give it 3 weeks, maybe less, before the conditions deteriorate to the level of the rest of our courses.

So the question is: When will our golfers learn that taking care of the course is everyone's responsibility, that there is no "entitled" superclass that need not rake, fill or repair. And stop sticking your putter in the hole to retrieve the ball or yanking the flagstick out with the ball in the cup. I wish we had cameras on every hole and institute a system of fines or revocation of golfing privileges for the offenders.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

A real country club membership costs mega dollars per year. Live life like a millionaire on a retirement budget. What class of golfer did you expect to be playing here ?
Old 11-10-2023, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
A real country club membership costs mega dollars per year. Live life like a millionaire on a retirement budget. What class of golfer did you expect to be playing here ?
That's a non-sequitur.

You don't have to be a touring pro to rake a bunker, fill a divot or repair a ball mark.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's a non-sequitur.

You don't have to be a touring pro to rake a bunker, fill a divot or repair a ball mark.
Au contraire. It is pertinet facta.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
That's a non-sequitur.

Agree, I have always respected the courses I played on & so did the other golfers I played with & we were certainly not highly skilled. Do you think using the putter to retrieve the ball or trying to pop it out with the flag are due to arthritic knees? It is not something I had seen before. As to not raking a trap & so on, is that laziness? Ignorance? Entitlement seems a stretch, but maybe it is one of those three, depending on the golfer.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Played Palmer Cherry to Laurel yesterday, the first day LV was open after months of renovation. Conditions were great, fairways had decent grass, greens were running about 10-10 1/2, bunkers were great. However, turned to LV at 11:20 and noticed the following:

15+ unrepaired ball marks on each green
Dozens of divots not filled in
Half the bunkers with unraked footprints
The edges of the cups were raggedy.

At most 22 foursomes came before us

So, unfortunately, I'll give it 3 weeks, maybe less, before the conditions deteriorate to the level of the rest of our courses.

So the question is: When will our golfers learn that taking care of the course is everyone's responsibility, that there is no "entitled" superclass that need not rake, fill or repair. And stop sticking your putter in the hole to retrieve the ball or yanking the flagstick out with the ball in the cup. I wish we had cameras on every hole and institute a system of fines or revocation of golfing privileges for the offenders.
Maybe they were playing "hurry up" golf and couldn't take the time to rake or fill. Gotta get out of the way of the next high-speed golfers in a hurry to get to the 19th hole.

Seriously though, I agree with you. Golfers are as responsible for the condition of the courses as the maintenance crews.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Au contraire. It is pertinet facta.
Please explain: How so?
Old 11-10-2023, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Agree, I have always respected the courses I played on & so did the other golfers I played with & we were certainly not highly skilled. Do you think using the putter to retrieve the ball or trying to pop it out with the flag are due to arthritic knees? It is not something I had seen before. As to not raking a trap & so on, is that laziness? Ignorance? Entitlement seems a stretch, but maybe it is one of those three, depending on the golfer.
You can get a suction cup or "basket" that goes on the end of your putter, gently remove the flagstick and then carefully retrieve you balls if you are so "arthritic" that you can bend down to put a ball on a tee but not to get your ball out of the cup.

The lack of raking I attribute to 50% laziness, 50% entitlement. I don't think many golfers think the rakes are there for the Wednesday morning garden club meeting.

and you don't even have to bend to fill a divot
Old 11-10-2023, 04:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
You can get a suction cup or "basket" that goes on the end of your putter, gently remove the flagstick and then carefully retrieve you balls if you are so "arthritic" that you can bend down to put a ball on a tee but not to get your ball out of the cup.

The lack of raking I attribute to 50% laziness, 50% entitlement. I don't think many golfers think the rakes are there for the Wednesday morning garden club meeting.

and you don't even have to bend to fill a divot
I was really rooting for 'ignorance', you know people just moved to TV & took up golf, never having had fathers, brothers, what have you teach them the game & it's associated responsibilities. Then we might have had a chance with posts like this to improve the general knowledge. No chance whatsoever with laziness &/or entitlement.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I was really rooting for 'ignorance', you know people just moved to TV & took up golf, never having had fathers, brothers, what have you teach them the game & it's associated responsibilities. Then we might have had a chance with posts like this to improve the general knowledge. No chance whatsoever with laziness &/or entitlement.
And the solution to that is a bit more Draconian: Anyone new to golf, been playing less than 10 years or anyone with a handicap, let's say above 20, be required to take the "good golf" course before they are granted playing privileges.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
And the solution to that is a bit more Draconian: Anyone new to golf, been playing less than 10 years or anyone with a handicap, let's say above 20, be required to take the "good golf" course before they are granted playing privileges.
Great thread, and I agree with everything you've said until this post. Your criteria is much too restrictive. It should be EVERYONE, no matter their age, handicap, or how long they've been playing, should take the Good Golf course before being allowed to play on the courses.

Yes, some will take offense because they have been playing "Forever", these are, in my experience for the last 10 years living in The Villages, the ones that need the "refresher" the most. A good golfer will not be offended, they will appreciate the emphasis on the care of the course which improves for the play of the game for all. The less experienced should be exposed to not only how to help maintain the course, but why. Show them an abused bunker, fairway, tee box, and green, and give them the opportunity to putt on a POS green that's been abused by the players, or chip out of a deep footprint on the edge of a bunker, and then on one that has been property cared for, open there eyes! Show them the difference in maintenance cost. Educate them on why it is important! The better the play them more they will love the game, they better they will play (I have to exclude myself from the last part of this statement, nothing is going to help my game).
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 11-11-2023, 05:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Agree, Good thread.
Everyone blames the deteriorating conditions on the maintenance, where really WE can keep the courses nice, especially in the high season

1) I think those playing championships have played more golf and should know better. You’re not paying $50 to play if you’re a beginner or not that good - youll play executive; and have more fun

2) The golfers aren’t even using the rakes, BUT the rakes that are out are 12”; a 20 or 24” rake is much easier to rake and you get a better finished product.

3) The best system that works is loss of golf privilege or loss of access to tee time system for a week or month. I don’t know how that can work here; but technology can help. Upgrade the ID system with RFID tags - or require tags on carts. Rangers don’t need to confront abusers, just be around and see when people don’t rake or fix divots - boom; shut down ID to reserve tee times for a week. Heck, shut down the whole 4 some and it will become self monitoring. Will fix itself in a month.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
It should be EVERYONE, no matter their age, handicap, or how long they've been playing, should take the Good Golf course before being allowed to play on the courses.
Could also have 2 levels of good golf course - one for those with index above 15 and one below - different content.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:06 AM

I totally agree with this. Why do we "require" villagers to watch a video and take a course before they can step on a pickleball court. But we do not require them to attend Good Golf class before they get golf privileges. It makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Great thread, and I agree with everything you've said until this post. Your criteria is much too restrictive. It should be EVERYONE, no matter their age, handicap, or how long they've been playing, should take the Good Golf course before being allowed to play on the courses.

Yes, some will take offense because they have been playing "Forever", these are, in my experience for the last 10 years living in The Villages, the ones that need the "refresher" the most. A good golfer will not be offended, they will appreciate the emphasis on the care of the course which improves for the play of the game for all. The less experienced should be exposed to not only how to help maintain the course, but why. Show them an abused bunker, fairway, tee box, and green, and give them the opportunity to putt on a POS green that's been abused by the players, or chip out of a deep footprint on the edge of a bunker, and then on one that has been property cared for, open there eyes! Show them the difference in maintenance cost. Educate them on why it is important! The better the play them more they will love the game, they better they will play (I have to exclude myself from the last part of this statement, nothing is going to help my game).
Old 11-11-2023, 06:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radamo View Post
we "require" villagers to watch a video and take a course before they can step on a pickleball court.
I missed these "requirements".

Tags
ball, hole, bunkers, great, conditions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.