Gay / LGBTQIA?

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2024, 09:07 PM
Default Gay / LGBTQIA?

We are just curious, with so many special interest clubs here, is there a Gay Male Social Club?
Old 02-18-2024, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Dear Bruce,
If you are new here, as a home owner or renter, I don't know. Sorry I can not be of help in this regard.
However, be forewarned many here, and I am not without fault, will often tease or taunt newbies. Hopefully you have a good sense of humor, and a bit of a thick skin would serve you well.
In either case, beware the trolls. Welcome to the Villages. Hope you find what you seek.
Fred

By the way, my "heads up " may have dampened some of the joksters enthusiasm. If so, so much the better.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the welcome and warning. Luckily, my skin is so thick by this point that I have to have it sanded down on a regular basis.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:16 PM

If not, you can start one!
Old 02-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewagner View Post
Thanks for the welcome and warning. Luckily, my skin is so thick by this point that I have to have it sanded down on a regular basis.
I have met maybe a dozen people in lesbian relationships and have found these people here in the Villages very friendly. They had a rough time at certain times from rather ugly people but these probably can be found anywhere. Hate mail of the anonymous sort and that kind of garbage.

I have seen gay men out and about here in the Villages over the past almost nineteen years we have lived here but have no idea if they lived here or not.

I have had gay/lesbian co-workers in many places so I hope the Villages is a friendly place. It does sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-18-2024 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
We are just curious, with so many special interest clubs here, is there a Gay Male Social Club?
There's a Rainbow Club, it's not exclusively for men. It's been around for many years and it's open to the LGBTQIA+ community, and allies.

About | Rainbowfamilyvillagesfl.com/ | The Villages
Old 02-18-2024, 10:50 PM

Excellent. Thanks to All.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

I worked in a profession where it was known for being predominantly gay and some of my best friends were gay. I doubt there is a gay male social club here in TV. Not all, but there are many who live here who be in an uproar if one existed.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
OP, you may want to go to the Bonifay CC for the Thursday happy hour. I think it is mostly women, but you may get some information about clubs. Just a suggestion.

Update - See Post No. 30

Last edited by retiredguy123; 02-20-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:44 AM

The reason that there are no straight parades or flags is because they have not had to organize and fight for basic freedoms.

Those who are not straight did not have marriage equality until very recently.

There were no laws to protect them from discrimination in the workplace.

There had no legal protections when businesses refused to provide services or they faced discriminatory practices, such as trying to get a loan or a mortgage.

The list was endless.

And anyone who thinks that those rights can’t be taken away in the current climate in this country is foolish. Supreme Court Justices said when Roe v. Wade was repealed that repealing marriage equality is on the table.

Women had similar struggles in this country, but people don’t look upon them the same way. Suffragettes had parades. They co-opted words and slogans and made flags. Women could not vote until 1920. And that did not end the fight for equality. My mother had to leave teaching in the public schools when she became pregnant with me because once a teacher became visibly pregnant, she had to go on (unpaid) leave.

Civil rights also had parades and slogans. That’s what a a minority suffering discrimination and inequality does to raise awareness, show solidarity and support, and fight for equal rights.

Our ancestors did the same thing when they all faced discrimination as immigrants. They formed organizations and held parades.

I hope the original poster finds what he’s looking for. I have been happily married to a wonderful woman for many years and am very fortunate. I never had to face anything like what I’ve read here. If I kiss my wife or hold her hand, no one says I am thrusting my choices in their faces.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:47 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Based on what I have observed, TV appears to have the typical percentage of homosexual individuals residing within the community. It is no big deal one way or the other to most of us. The OP should be able to meet some kindred spirits just by getting out and about.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-20-2024, 08:58 AM

The Rainbow club has moved from Thursdays at Bonifay to Tuesdays at Belle Glade. It is mostly lesbians, but there is a growing contingent of men.

It is NOT “closed”, but open to all, and one doesn’t need to live in the Villages to enjoy this gathering. Being a gay man is one small part of who I am; It doesn’t define me. We don’t go to these gatherings often, but when we do, it is refreshing to be with others who know what it’s like to have grown up in a time when one could be fired from a job, denied housing, or beaten just because of our orientation. It’s also not a cruising scene. It’s almost all couples who want to get out and enjoy a few drinks, music, food, and dancing without worry of hassle.

As far as straight pride day? EVERY DAY is straight pride day! From the aforementioned walking hand-in-hand, to full on PDAs, to gum commercials inviting heterosexual couples to “kiss a little longer”. Shall I start requesting that you keep your sexuality to yourselves and stop shoving it down my throat?

It’s really as simple as following the golden rule.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Thank you

Given several of the responses so far, I can see the need for such a club.
I would tend to agree. And I would assert that many of those respondents have forgotten their basic Sunday school teachings from long ago…everyone was welcomed to the table; not everyone BUT…
Old 02-20-2024, 10:13 AM

There are laws purposely written to deny this community their rights as sovereign citizens of this country. Just as women had to be loud and proud to become equal citizens. This too has not been fully realized. This is what makes America America the right to fight for equal rights. So if women , gays, blacks, and etc. should keep quiet what is the only voice left? The man asked a simple question, and this vitriol comes out, hmmm!
Old 02-20-2024, 10:21 AM

Wonderfully said. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
gay, interest, social, male, clubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.