IBM

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 AM
REH
Default IBM

Is there an IBM club at the Villages? Our neighbor said he had heard of one?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Sage
Default Re: IBM

I worked for IBM Canada for many years. Will be interested if there is an IBM club.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Did 30 years with them and then a second career after retirement.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM
REH

I heard from our neighbor who he and his wife are retired IBM'er that there is an organization of retired IBM'ers in the Villages.. I was curious if there is really was an IBM retirement group in the Villages. He said there were about 400-500 retired IBM in the Villages??
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM

I am also a retired from IBM US (Global Services - International Sales Manager ) and we are closing on our new home in Buttonwood in a couple of weeks. Given that I don't see any recent responses to this thread, should I assume there isn't an IBM club?

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM

Well, leave it to an IBM Exec. Secretary to know the answer. There is a "club." However, as far as I've seen in two years here it only meets to discuss the new health plans. That meeting includes people from far and wide, not just Villagers. I've never gotten a note about any other IBM Club meeting. The person who puts the health plan meetings together is John DeLuca. His email address is golfnutslj@comcast.net if you want to be put on the list. I worked at IBM Poughkeepsie, NY (when it was still the Research Lab), then Westchester while the new Research Lab was being built (in a beautiful estate called the Lamb Estate - no time clocks), then Kingston, NY and when they closed that, back to Poughkeepsie. In the middle of that I resigned to have my family (in those days you had to resign when you were 6 months pregnant), then came back when my family was grown.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the response. I spent several months in Fishkill back in the early 80's, but spent all of my career in MA. In that respect, I was fortunate that my family got to establish some roots.

I'm not interested in the IBM medical plan because I am covered by my wife's plan. She works for our local town and like most local government plans, her's is really good.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11

Last edited by natickdan; 12-27-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natickdan View Post
Thanks for the response. I spent several months in Fishkill back in the early 80's, but spent all of my career in MA. In that respect, I was fortunate that my family got to establish some roots.

I'm not interested in the IBM medical plan because I am covered by my wife's plan. She works for our local town and like most local government plans, her's is really good.
Ex-IBMer here also. I didn't retire from IBM but I worked for them for a short stint during the big Y2K crisis helping convert a large bank customer from an old version of MVS operating system to a new shiney version of OS/390.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Hey I co=oped with IBM as a College Senior..........do I qualify as a member of the club!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Veteran member

I did not work for IBM, but I did drive past "The Rusty Bucket" everyday on my way to work. Anybody know where I was?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM

I would guess Austin Tx
Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
I did not work for IBM, but I did drive past "The Rusty Bucket" everyday on my way to work. Anybody know where I was?
Not Texas.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Sage

Been to the Rusty Bucket a few times. I was the region manager for IBM in the Mid-Atlantic region from 1989 to 1993 when it was closed. It is in Bethesda Maryland.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 01-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Been to the Rusty Bucket a few times. I was the region manager for IBM in the Mid-Atlantic region from 1989 to 1993 when it was closed. It is in G'burg Maryland.
Close, the actual address was Bethesda, MD., off of I-270. Gone now, torn down around 1990. The building was a steel structure and the sheets of steel were allowed to rust, thus the name. There was an incedent there in '82, a security guard and another worker were shot and killed by a disgrunteled employee. I think the Gaithersburg facility (different location) was sold to Lockheed Martin.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Sage

Agree, Bethesda. After I said Gaithersburg, I remembered it was actually in Bethesda and went back and corrected my post. There were so many IBM buildings in that area off 270. Democracy 1 & 2, The branch office on Montgomery ave, the Washington System Center, Beltsville off 95, and a few others, with just as many in VA. Knew how to drive to them all, but as to street or town was going by memory which is not as good as it once was.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.