An investment club (for learning)

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: An investment club (for learning)

I would be most interested in checking out something like this. I'm basically a buy and hold type, though I really haven't bought that much. I've still got my Lucent that I picked up at about $75. If I'd bought Enron, I'd probably still have it with my Pan Am and TWA stock. When my friends were all making and losing fortunes day trading in the 90's, I was dismissing it as a fluke. There was one fellow in the office who really did make a fortune. I'd worked with this guy for a number of years and knew full well that he wasn't any more intelligent than me or several other coworkers. Yet he kicked ass on the market. :dontknow: I tried to learn from him but failed. To this day, I don't understand how a company's stock can skyrocket when they have no product, no sales, no prospects, only expenses. I know I'd have been better off dumping some individual stocks and maybe putting the money in funds or maybe under a mattress, but inertia and ignorance have kept me from acting. I'd love to understand the system a bit better and learn a few of the simpler tricks of the trade. Though most of my savings are now tied up in dental bills, :yikes: I do still have a few small investments I'd like to save.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Will this venture be a FYI educational effort, or will there be real hands-on investments planned and practiced within the group?

Pls add hubby Bill and me to your list of potential members. Sounds like a real winner!!

barb1191

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I thought this thread was bumpworthy so I reached into the clubs forum and brought it back for another run.

I was wondering if it looks like this puppy's gonna hunt.

It is the first club I will look for if we ever get to TV so I hope it is up and running by then. But I will come in disguise. I will not be wearing my flannel pj's.

Boomer

Old 04-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

ACTUALLY, There are 2 investment clubs in TV.
I belong to the OBGIC - Orange Blossum Garden Investment Club.
It is probably the oldest.
We meet once a month at Laurel Manor (3rd Wed). 1PM.
While the purpose is to learn we do invest $50 per member per month.
There is also a startup which you can find out more about at the meetings.
We are also associated with NAIC - National Association of Investment Clubs
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.