Kanopy Club Free Christmas Double Feature this Tuesday

Old 12-17-2023, 06:29 PM
Default Kanopy Club Free Christmas Double Feature this Tuesday

The fledgling Kanopy Movies and Films Club's 5th monthly meeting is this Tuesday evening, December 19, from 6:00-9:20 at Everglades Rec Center.

First, we will watch MRS. SANTA CLAUS, 1996, rated TV-G, starring Angela Lansbury (RIP). This is the only other made-for-TV musical besides Cinderella with Bernadette Peters.

Second, we will watch MR.ST. NICK, 2002, rated G, starring Kelsey Grammer as a Miami playboy who inherits the mantle of his father, Santa Claus. This should be fun for people who have enjoyed the many dining and entertainment options of South Florida over the years, not to mention cruises.

The goal of starting this club is to assemble together to watch, discuss and suggest and choose free streaming movies, rated G or PG, that have Public Performance Rights (PPR) on Kanopy. Kanopy is a non-commercial service of participating libraries. I don't think any subscription-based commercial streaming media service like Disney or Netflix is offering films with PPR, for viewing of films in social club meetings free to the public, as well as in free viewings in schools or in churches or religious organizations. Of course, most home streaming costs the same for one or many viewers, as long as nobody is charging admission (which by the way is on the honor system in the privacy of one's home).

In the spirit of the holidays, I offered a list of more than 20 films pertaining to Christmas that were available on Kanopy and had Public Performance Rights and were rated G or PG. I published the list on the website and even pocket-sized flyers, and I hoped to get feedback on which movies to present or narrow down the selection to. The response and time was so limited that I decided to pick a double feature of Christmas films. Here is the result again.

First, we will watch MRS. SANTA CLAUS, 1996, rated TV-G, starring Angela Lansbury (RIP). This is the only other made-for-TV musical besides Cinderella with Bernadette Peters.

Second, we will watch MR.ST. NICK, 2002, rated G, starring Kelsey Grammer as a Miami playboy who inherits the mantle of his father, Santa Claus. This should be fun for people who have enjoyed the many dining and entertainment options of South Florida over the years, not to mention cruises.

The two films in this double feature the shared theme of the untold stories of secondary members of The Claus Family.

So far the club has not reached a critical mass of participating members that actively help with preselection of the movies for attendees to choose by a show of hands and watch, from the many free films available on Kanopy. DO NOT IMAGINE THAT THIS IDEA FOR A CLUB IS A DUD. If many people got turned on to and tuned in to Kanopy, that would be a fine result in itself. If a Villages Kanopy Club is successful, we all will benefit from sharing which free films on Kanopy are the best to watch.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:31 PM

I have made a Wordpress site for the Kanopy Club.
Kanopy Movies and Films Club of The Villages
Old 12-17-2023, 06:37 PM

The Kanopy Movies and Films Club is free to all Villagers and guests. The films presented will be family-friendly, rated G or PG. BYO food and beverages. Wishing all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Salubrious Solstice.
Old 12-17-2023, 06:40 PM

The Kanopy Movies and Films Club is free to all Villagers and guests. All films shown shall be family-friendly, rated G or PG. BYO food and bevs. Wishing all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Salubrious Solstice.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:49 PM

I’m in!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:48 AM
Gold member

Sounds like a great idea!
Old 12-18-2023, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Hi, your post intrigued me, & I took a look at the Kanopy app. It seems as if The Villages libraries are not a part of the network. Can you tell me what library you use for the club & have you asked at The Villages libraries if they would join & if so what was their answer?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2023, 09:52 AM
Gold member

I did look at your wordpress doc, & saw the Belvedere library, however, when I use either their name or their zip, I get no libraries found.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Hi, your post intrigued me, & I took a look at the Kanopy app. It seems as if The Villages libraries are not a part of the network. Can you tell me what library you use for the club & have you asked at The Villages libraries if they would join & if so what was their answer?

Thanks!
Sumter County Villagers have Kanopy as well as Hoopla streaming movies, but not unlimited. A monthly allotment of each is provided. Lake County Villagers only get it if Leesburg is their address, or Mt. Dora, I believe. With an annual membership to participating libraries, online resources are available. I think Lake County library has a larger collection of books and dvds, but Sumter has its own strengths.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I did look at your wordpress doc, & saw the Belvedere library, however, when I use either their name or their zip, I get no libraries found.

Thanks!
I don't recall if Sumter County Public Libraries care about Pinellas or Belvedere. Maybe look up Sumter County, FL.

Tags
kanopy, films, watch, rated, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.