Local American Legion Post 347 denies access to VETERAN!

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2021, 05:02 PM
Default Local American Legion Post 347 denies access to VETERAN!

I know posting this is not the smartest thing to do, but I felt I had to say something about being denied access to the local American Legion Post 347 because of COVID-19 because I am not a member of their Post.

My wife and I just finished dinner at the Orange Blossom Hills Golf & Country Club and decided to stop at Post 347 for a drink on our way home in the Village of Hawkins.

I handed my membership card from American Legion Post 342 in St. Charles, IL, where I was a past commander and have been a member of this Post for over 40 years.

I was informed that because I was not a member of Post 347, I could not enter. The gatekeeper pointed to a posted sign stating only Post 347 members can enter because of COVID!

COVID has been around for 18 months, and this is their excuse to refuse my wife and me access to an organization I have spent over four decades as an active member.

Prior to today (8/21/21 at 1600 hours), we stopped two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon only to leave because they were packed with BINGO players. At that time, I did not see anyone wearing a mask during BINGO or anyone wearing a mask this afternoon.

Post 347 blatantly refused access to my wife and I, both members of this national organization, and quite honestly, I am "****ed off"!

The Villages is supposed to be the friendliest community in Florida, but just outside The Villages in Lady Lake is the largest American Legion Post in the United States. They refused to allow me to enter!

OK, so maybe I am a nobody, but I am an Air Force veteran of 35 years, proud to serve my country and honored to be a member of the American Legion for forty-two years. Served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and currently undergoing cancer treatment at the VA for Agent Orange. Very active as a Veterans Advocate and presently working on a YouTube project entitled "Saluting American Veterans."

It was bad enough coming home from SEA and being spit at and rejected, but to deny a veteran who is an American Legion member access to their Post because of COVID is simply WRONG.

We moved here two months ago and recently started searching for opportunities to volunteer. One such organization is the Village Honor Flight, and they asked me to get involved. I intend to, but it seems this organization is tied to the American Legion Post 347, so I am having second thoughts!

Also, before we moved to The Villages, I heard a similar story about a member from another Post being denied entry and that bothered me!

The first time I went to Post 347 in June, I was welcomed and told that story was a misunderstanding.

Well, I hope this is a misunderstanding because today, more than ever, veterans need each other. And please, do not use COVID as an excuse because both my wife and I are vaccinated, and if you wanted us to wear masks, we would.

Please reconsider this stupid policy! Don't shut your doors to those entitled to the privileges of membership with the American Legion. Last I knew…an American Legion member, regardless of what posts they belong to, is entitled to access other posts worldwide.

Guess the rules are different in the friendliest community in Florida!

If I am wrong, I will apologize and retract this post; We were brothers and sisters when we served, so what changed?

Fred J. Rosenthal
MSgt. USAF (Retired)
5524 Brittany Terrace
The Villages, FL 32163
630-926-3109
therosenthalgroup@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by CommonSense; 08-21-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: type
Old 08-21-2021, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Have you contacted the commander?
Some gatekeepers assume too much authority.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:29 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Should not have to contact anyone - also note hipocritical statement about being under covid restrictions when no one wears a mask.

I was a member of this lodge and dropped out due to not being treated very friendly when I stopped by once for a drink.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I did not contact the Post Commander, but I am sure within the next 24 hours he/she will have seen my post in either this or another social media outlet. I hate ranting, especially on social media forums, but this really got to me today and I cannot let it go. Our nation is going through some hard times, but so often the veterans step forward and are ready, willing, and able to lend a hand to those in need. We help each other to get through life, so why does this American Legion Post make it extremely difficult to feel welcomed? I do not believe that is the intent of the general membership of this post, but unfortunately, those in charge lack compassion and common sense. So until that changes, I am staying away from Post 347 and encourage other veterans to do the same.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sir.

Thank you for your service. I know nothing about this but I am aware of four people who are in my inner circle who are looking to get tested for Covid today. They all have had both vaccines and are feeling ill after being exposed to someone who did test positive for Covid. They had not been together, each was a separate instance.

Maybe it is a new restriction due to an avalanche of new cases.

Again I thank you. Everyone I know in The Villages has great respect for our military and I hope that you find a reasonable answer.

Please know that you are very welcome in The Villages.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-22-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:08 AM

Fred -- thanks for your service from another Vet (8 years USAF 1969-1977). Seems to me you are complaining to the wrong audience. "The Villages" has no association that I know of with Post 347. It is simply geographically nearby. Clearly, the folks managing that facility need an attitude adjustment!
Old 08-22-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Veterans Memorial Post 347

They have restrictions for who enters on their new website. It is due to COVID 19 and they are not allowing any guests just members of their post and their spouse or continuing companion.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-22-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Maybe the whole reason that they don't require masks, is BECAUSE they only allow the local members in. Contract tracing is much easier to do if you are able to identify each person who enters and leave the facility, because they are ALL members of THAT facility.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Snide remarks about The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post
I know posting this is not the smartest thing to do, but I felt I had to say something about being denied access to the local American Legion Post 347 because of COVID-19 because I am not a member of their Post.

My wife and I just finished dinner at the Orange Blossom Hills Golf & Country Club and decided to stop at Post 347 for a drink on our way home in the Village of Hawkins.

I handed my membership card from American Legion Post 342 in St. Charles, IL, where I was a past commander and have been a member of this Post for over 40 years.

I was informed that because I was not a member of Post 347, I could not enter. The gatekeeper pointed to a posted sign stating only Post 347 members can enter because of COVID!

COVID has been around for 18 months, and this is their excuse to refuse my wife and me access to an organization I have spent over four decades as an active member.

Prior to today (8/21/21 at 1600 hours), we stopped two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon only to leave because they were packed with BINGO players. At that time, I did not see anyone wearing a mask during BINGO or anyone wearing a mask this afternoon.

Post 347 blatantly refused access to my wife and I, both members of this national organization, and quite honestly, I am "****ed off"!

The Villages is supposed to be the friendliest community in Florida, but just outside The Villages in Lady Lake is the largest American Legion Post in the United States. They refused to allow me to enter!

OK, so maybe I am a nobody, but I am an Air Force veteran of 35 years, proud to serve my country and honored to be a member of the American Legion for forty-two years. Served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War and currently undergoing cancer treatment at the VA for Agent Orange. Very active as a Veterans Advocate and presently working on a YouTube project entitled "Saluting American Veterans."

It was bad enough coming home from SEA and being spit at and rejected, but to deny a veteran who is an American Legion member access to their Post because of COVID is simply WRONG.

We moved here two months ago and recently started searching for opportunities to volunteer. One such organization is the Village Honor Flight, and they asked me to get involved. I intend to, but it seems this organization is tied to the American Legion Post 347, so I am having second thoughts!

Also, before we moved to The Villages, I heard a similar story about a member from another Post being denied entry and that bothered me!

The first time I went to Post 347 in June, I was welcomed and told that story was a misunderstanding.

Well, I hope this is a misunderstanding because today, more than ever, veterans need each other. And please, do not use COVID as an excuse because both my wife and I are vaccinated, and if you wanted us to wear masks, we would.

Please reconsider this stupid policy! Don't shut your doors to those entitled to the privileges of membership with the American Legion. Last I knew…an American Legion member, regardless of what posts they belong to, is entitled to access other posts worldwide.

Guess the rules are different in the friendliest community in Florida!

If I am wrong, I will apologize and retract this post; We were brothers and sisters when we served, so what changed?

Fred J. Rosenthal
MSgt. USAF (Retired)
5524 Brittany Terrace
The Villages, FL 32163
630-926-3109
therosenthalgroup@sbcglobal.net
Blame those who are responsible , ie: The Post Leadership

The Villages nor the "Developer have anything to do with this problem
Old 08-23-2021, 05:00 AM
Veteran member

Thank you for your service.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:01 AM

Sorry this happened. Thank you for your service - you are very much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:05 AM

Last year I also was denied because I was not a post member, but a 30 year Legion and VFW member from Minnesota. I had my wife and to visiting friends and just want to stop for a drink. A members only game was being played and outsiders not allowed. Wow, first time ever denied. Vietnam Vet, Agent Orange Issues, 30 year member, denied. I wrote to everyone and now hear same story. They should close the post or change name away from a Vets organization. "Joe's Locals Only Pub" or something.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:11 AM

so....join this post?
Old 08-23-2021, 05:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Maybe the whole reason that they don't require masks, is BECAUSE they only allow the local members in. Contract tracing is much easier to do if you are able to identify each person who enters and leave the facility, because they are ALL members of THAT facility.
Exactly. And yes, there are many new rules at plenty of locations due to covid. No use complaining about it. Follow the restrictions for now and be happy when life goes back to normal.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:45 AM

Thank you to those who have responded to my recent post. Yes, I understand the American Legion Post 347 is not associated with The Villages, except, the 7,000 members are primarily residents of The Villages. I totally understand the problems and concerns with the Covid variants and this local Post's ability to make rules to protect their members. My point is the attitude in which they present themselves to visiting veterans. As mentioned earlier, I am a past commander of a post in Illinois and have no intention of changing, even though I am a permanent resident in The Villages. As a veteran with 35-years of service in the Air Force, I enjoy the comradery of veterans around the world. I have always been welcomed in Posts I visited, but Post 347 does not provide that feeling. I've cooled down from Saturday's post, but I do not believe I will ever walk into this post again. The gatekeeper was rude and condescending. And if they were really concerned about Covid-19 and its variants, the bartenders would have had masks on and social distancing would be required at the bar and tables, which it wasn't. Having observed a double standard gave me an unwelcomed impression. I am sure a large percentage of their members would concur this policy does not serve in the best interest of the Post. Also debatable is the question: does their protocol actually protects anyone from coming in contact with someone who has Covid-19 or its variants? Regardless, I will play by their rules and more than likely never return to American Legion Post 347!
Closed Thread

Tags
post, american, legion, member, access

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.