Mah Jongg

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Cool Puzzle Club???

My wife was wondering if there was a club for putting puzzles together?? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Default MahJongg for February only

I will be in the villages just for the month of February. I would love to learn how to play MahJongg while there for the month. I realize I will not become an expert in one month. Any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie416 View Post
I will be in the villages just for the month of February. I would love to learn how to play MahJongg while there for the month. I realize I will not become an expert in one month. Any suggestions?
Yes. Truman 9am Wed morning-- Sandy teaches, and she is tops. You will learn the correct way to play from a wonderful teacher. She usually teaches newbies at her table for 3 weeks then places them with other players. Get a Mah Jongg card at Purple Pig before coming to lessons.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Gold member

Most play the Mah-Jongg league rules and use their card. The cards can be bought through the league web site or at the Purple Pig at Lake Sumter.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Smile

Weathernut35,
Don't know about any puzzle clubs, but I also enjoy putting together puzzles. Let me know what you find.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Yes. Truman 9am Wed morning-- Sandy teaches, and she is tops. You will learn the correct way to play from a wonderful teacher. She usually teaches newbies at her table for 3 weeks then places them with other players. Get a Mah Jongg card at Purple Pig before coming to lessons.
Thank you Avista. I am now in TV and will see how long it will take me to find Truman. I only have a golf cart, no car. I checked for Mah Jongg cards at Purple Pig and they are all out of them. They said that everyone is all out of them.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Gold member
Default lessons by Joan also at Chula Vista and Laurel Manor

I took one from each and now play in a couple of beginner groups, one private. I felt I learned a lot from both teachers. I think Chula Vista was Sunday afternoons, and maybe other times, and Laurel Manor sometime on Friday. When you are ready, you spin off into nearby tables with some beginners and maybe some more experienced players.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you Avista. I am now in TV and will see how long it will take me to find Truman. I only have a golf cart, no car. I checked for Mah Jongg cards at Purple Pig and they are all out of them. They said that everyone is all out of them.
I have a card that you can have if you PM me.

The Registration Guide lists MahJongg classes, games and locations. Tons of them available.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Brush Up Lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmom3 View Post
It has been many years since I have played Mah Jongg. Where do you go for brush up lessons?
Joan De Carlo has been teaching Mah Jong for 19 years. She has one session on Tuesdays I believe at Laurel Manor. It is always crowded. She also has Friday Mornings at 9:00 at Chula Vista.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM

I'll just have to add that, although I've played for several years, a friend asked me to attend a learning session with her. We went to the one offered at Laurel Manor on Tuesdays around noon and taught by Joan. She is an excellent teacher, and always seems to have many newbies learning the game. She always has current cards that she will let you use while learning.

Also, I play in several established games where we've played together for a long time. In one of my games is a friend that intially learned the game from Joan, and she is now one of the best players I play with.

Warning: This game is terribly addictive!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Default Thank you

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!! I went to mah jongg lessons yesterday, Wednesday morning, with Sandy at Truman. It was a long golf cart ride, but well worth it. She was fantastic as was the group of people I met. Are all the mah jongg listings in the Recreation Guide that comes out on Thursdays?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Default evening Mah Jongg?

We just arrived at TV on Monday. Renting in Buttonwood until our home is built. I'd love to find an open game in the evening.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Are all the mah jongg listings in the Recreation Guide that comes out on Thursdays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARBAR View Post
We just arrived at TV on Monday. Renting in Buttonwood until our home is built. I'd love to find an open game in the evening.
Mah jongg games are listed in the Thursday Recreation Guide ... There are listings for open games in the evenings.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Are the cards used the National MJL cards--I think this year they are red. Or are they the American MJL cards--2012 year of the dragon and are green? When do the players start using new cards--January each year?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Mah Jongg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmom3 View Post
It has been many years since I have played Mah Jongg. Where do you go for brush up lessons?
We have a group that plays at home. We sometimes need a sub. Joan DEe Carlo has taught for 19 years. She teaches at Laurel Manor on Tues I think and at Chula Vista at 9:00 on Friday. Very good teacher. I don't know what rules we play. Joan's rules !!!

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.