Sherlock Holmes Interest

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Default Sherlock Holmes Interest

It seems appropriate on the birthday of The Great Detective to ask if anyone is interested in getting together to discuss Sherlock Holmes and possibly forming an interest group? There are hundreds of Sherlock Holmes Societies scattered around the world, but nothing close to The Villages (that I could find).

If you are (or were) a Sherlockian, and have any interest in getting together, I would like to hear from you. If not, and the idea is just unusual enough to be interesting, I would like to hear from you too. The number of people out there who are interested (and the depth of interest for some of them) is truly amazing -- so there must be something to this.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

There is a restaurant named Sherlocks, which will be (re)opening early next week at Champions Gate. South of 192 on Hwy 27

The Sherlock's franchise is now under completely new ownership and the Champion's Gate store will hopefully open towards the middle to end of next week. Staff training will be happening between now and then.

The format is going to change a little with it still being a British themed restaurant that will be closely akin to a Starbucks / Barnies experience but with a British theme menu with British tea, coffee, high tea etc during the day and then transitioning into a bistro / wine bar in the evenings.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Veteran member
Default We thought the movie was terrible, walked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post
It seems appropriate on the birthday of The Great Detective to ask if anyone is interested in getting together to discuss Sherlock Holmes and possibly forming an interest group? There are hundreds of Sherlock Holmes Societies scattered around the world, but nothing close to The Villages (that I could find).

If you are (or were) a Sherlockian, and have any interest in getting together, I would like to hear from you. If not, and the idea is just unusual enough to be interesting, I would like to hear from you too. The number of people out there who are interested (and the depth of interest for some of them) is truly amazing -- so there must be something to this.
What a piece of crap, we walked out 10 minutes in.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
What a piece of crap, we walked out 10 minutes in.
I hope you are referring to the restaurant or perhaps the movie and that your comments are not about The Great Detective. Most true Sherlockians would not even bother to go see the film; or if they went it was to see just how distorted and ridiculous Hollywood can make things.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post

Well. We had no clue that THIS was his Birthday. That certainly solves the mystery of what is important about March 25. Now that I think of it, it is quite elementary.

Carguy? Is your last name Watson?

P.S. What do Sherlockians do when they get together?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Veteran member

I did not mind the movie much. It is not like the (late) Jeremy Britt series. I guess that I think "House" is closer to the spirit of the Doyle characters anyway.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well. We had no clue that THIS was his Birthday. That certainly solves the mystery of what is important about March 25. Now that I think of it, it is quite elementary.
Dear Graciegirl,
You are one of the sagest people I know. I treasure your wisdom and insights. A sage, definitely! A sleuth? Check the date of the post about Sherlock's birthday.

Sherlock P. Turner
Old 03-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Dear Graciegirl,
You are one of the sagest people I know. I treasure your wisdom and insights. A sage, definitely! A sleuth? Check the date of the post about Sherlock's birthday.

Sherlock P. Turner
Oh well. I didn't want to celebrate his birthday anyhow. I hardly know him. I flunked research and edit when I was in cheerleader 101.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Carguy? Is your last name Watson?

P.S. What do Sherlockians do when they get together?
Actually you have to go back to the original post of this thread to determine The Great Detective's birthday (that's a clue).

No, my name is not Watson. There are thousands of people around the world who spend an incredible amount of time reading about, meeting about, blogging about, ... and generally discussing The Great Detective. Last time I looked, there were ~ 100 active Sherlock Holmes societies (groups that get together periodically to discuss Sherlockian things). If you type in "Sherlock Holmes scion" (without the quotes) into Yahoo search you will get 100,000 + hits. A good place to start exploring what the web has to offer regarding Sherlock Holmes can be found here
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I did not mind the movie much. It is not like the (late) Jeremy Britt series. I guess that I think "House" is closer to the spirit of the Doyle characters anyway.
The recent movie was an attempt to cash in on the enduring appeal of Sherlock Holmes. About once a generation, there is a "new discovery" and one sees an increase in the # of SHerlockian items in the various media. The Jeremy Brett series is a good example. Jeremy Brett's portrayal is considered one of the best. It was excellent initially, but as time went on, I feel that Brett got too caught up in how he thought Holmes should be portrayed. Personally, I prefer Basil Rathbone, but many would argue that so many of the Rathbone/Bruce films were not sufficiently based on the Doyle documents.

I agree that the investigative and deductive powers portrayed in "House" are a pretty good example of what Holmes might have done were he a physician. But I would argue with your use of "Doyle characters". That suggests that Doyle invented something. The truth is that Doyle was merely Watson's literary agent and was responsible for the fine tuning and eventual commercialization of the few cases Watson allowed to be published. Watson was a decent physician and an adequate (at times) companion and Boswell, but he was not the best businessman.

Had Holmes had his way, nothing would have been published and he was quite disappointed that Watson chose to renege on the gentlemen's agreement to "chronicle but not publish". To this day, Holmes contends that his association with Watson was, on balance, not positive.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree that the investigative and deductive powers portrayed in "House" are a pretty good example of what Holmes might have done were he a physician. But I would argue with your use of "Doyle characters". That suggests that Doyle invented something. The truth is that Doyle was merely Watson's literary agent and was responsible for the fine tuning and eventual commercialization of the few cases Watson allowed to be published. Watson was a decent physician and an adequate (at times) companion and Boswell, but he was not the best businessman.

Had Holmes had his way, nothing would have been published and he was quite disappointed that Watson chose to renege on the gentlemen's agreement to "chronicle but not publish". To this day, Holmes contends that his association with Watson was, on balance, not positive.
Ah, I see where this is going. I loved the Rathbone/Bruce movies but felt they were not as much in the spirit of Holmes as the Britt series. My god, we have Holmes fighting the Nazis! He would have had to be 120 years old. Anyway, I think the Bruce character was far too bumbling (ok, I like that) to be Watson. The Britt series had high production values and a true Holmes feel.

House is much in the spirit of Holmes. We have House/Holmes, Watson/Wilson, a single friend, THE woman, the drug problem and even an apartment number 221B! Anyway, if you want to see a great series ruined by a modern movie, watch the AMC series "The Prisoner". It makes Downey's Holmes seem on the mark. But that is a post for another time.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.